Drunk People Don't Like The Oculus Rift

HardOCP News

[H] News
Seems kind of obvious that drunk people wouldn't like using VR goggles. Getting motion sick while you are completely trashed just doesn't seem like fun. Maybe they can make a barf bag that clips to the Oculus Rift, problem solved. ;)

"What happens is, when you get severely intoxicated, you end up throwing up," Luckey said. "One of the reasons for that is that your body knows something is wrong; your reaction time is slow, things seem to blur. And if it gets bad enough, it says 'Wow, I'm screwed up, I need to get whatever it is out of my stomach that's causing this.' The Rift doesn't do that much, but when you stack it on top of someone already being intoxicated, they tend to not enjoy it nearly as much."

Thanks to him for that cool story bro on why people throw up and our stomachs talking to themselves..the medical community and doctors everywhere are in awe..

Thanks to him for that cool story bro on why people throw up and our stomachs talking to themselves..the medical community and doctors everywhere are in awe..

well, sometimes stating the obvious is useful... because people forget why shit goes down (or up)

Damn, I didn't even think about the motion sickness. I can barely play a lot fps games because I get sick so easy. Kinda puts a damper on my enthusiasm for this now :(

I can't wait to see the viral YouTube videos to start appearing with people purposely getting their motion sickness friends drunk and then have them play on the Oculus.....

This made me lookup the Occulus Rift (a VR helmet). This thing looks very awsome.

I remember VR helmets really started to take off in the mid 90's and they they all just dried up all of the sudden.

But this application looks like it could really start something new. In fact, a cool application outside of games, would be trully 3D movies. A linear movie, but you are fully in the story.

trully 3D movies. A linear movie, but you are fully in the story.

So you mean the next metal gear solid? :p

lol, I know what you mean. I'm thinking it would even be cool to try one of those IMAX movies on here, even if it's not stereoscopic with no head tracking.

...but yeah, I also think there's an exciting potential for more "3D" movies where you can choose where to focus your eyes and turn your head, so you are a more active participant in the event. It would make repeat watching more fun probably.

Headbob in games use to make me irritated. Yes when I walk, our heads bob. My brain however factors it out of my perception. My brain is not setup to factor that out when I'm sitting. Therefore I don't need my FPS's to have stupid head bob. Its actually less realistic in my final perception.

This made me lookup the Occulus Rift (a VR helmet). This thing looks very awsome.

I remember VR helmets really started to take off in the mid 90's and they they all just dried up all of the sudden.

But this application looks like it could really start something new. In fact, a cool application outside of games, would be trully 3D movies. A linear movie, but you are fully in the story.

The idea was ahead of its time. Weight is a very important factor in how practical such device can be. If it strains your neck after a couple hours of gaming, then its hardly practical. Ideally it shouldn't weight more than putting on a large sunglasses. Maybe OLED or something similar will someday make it possible.

Back