Quote of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
CEO John Legere gave us the Quote of the Day during T-Mobile's iPhone announcement today. :cool:

"Stop the bullsh*t," he said. "It's $1,000 less for a T-Mobile phone over two years than on AT&T." Starting April 12, T-Mobile customers can get the iPhone 5, introduced last fall, for a $100 down payment and then $20 a month for 24 months. That's a total of $580 for the iPhone 5. Meanwhile, the iPhone 5 is sold for $650 at full retail price from other carriers.

Or you can just get a sweet Android phone for a $10 or less "down payment" and no monthly fees on top of your bill... :rolleyes:

I have a feeling T-Mobile is going to pull a JCPenny.

"WE'RE SO EDGY, CHANGING EVERYTHING."

2 months later

"lol jk"

well, I just changed my plan to their new value plan....unlimited text/talk/data (throttled after 500mb) on 5 lines (only 2 use data) for $110.

seems pretty good to me.

I'd rather stick with my grandfathered VZW plan with my unlimited 4G which gives me about 30Mb/s down and 17Mb/s up on average with no dropped calls and no throttle. Then again I pay for a single line.

I have had Tmo for about 10 months now and my last bill was just under $80. I have 5 phone lines unlimited txt, but no data ($10 per month for 2Gb or $20 for unlimited per line). I can't find anywhere that can come close. Obviously if you have poor service in your area then it doesn't work for you, but otherwise its one of the best options on the market.

Last time I had tmobile they were terrible. Everyone in my family left them a year ago and now we are either on AT&T or Sprint. But the sprint people are so tired of the slow data that they are planning to move over to AT&T lol. Tmobile is so spotty and inconsistent for me and I live in a big metro city. They have gotten better but not enough to make me want them.

Service is one thing but at least they run a decent ship in regards to phone costs and subsidization. They charge less not bundling in the phone costs then charge for the phone. So when you pay off the phone you bill is less.

The same is not true for Verizon or Att which charge the same whether you have a new phone or not.

I also hate Verizon's new family plans... they are ok if you have non-phone internet devices but if you have dumb phones... bend over.

what the fuck is he talking about?! It's not $1000 cheaper for the same phone/plan on Tmobile. $20/month subsidy for the phone plus $80/month avg bill for reasonable data cap. So their plan costs $100/month basically. Most carriers charge similar rates although perhaps $200 up front for the phone. Where the hell is he getting his math?

T Mobile would catch my attention once they get LTE up and running. But by the time they do the big boys will already have the next thing rolled out..

I have been a long time Tmobile user and outdoor the signal strength is good. But one step indoors and you wont get any signal at all. You have to stand by a window or hang half your body outside to get one bar. Tmobile is well aware of this and their standard response Tmobile never guarantee or imply you will get a signal indoors.

Area : NYC

Just ditched Sprint and got two Nexus 4 phones on T-Mobile's Pre-Paid. My bill went from $150 to $60 a month. Now that's only a $100 minutes, but considering I'm running my own PBX at Amazon (using their "free tier") I don't use a single minute anyway.

All my calls are "Internet Calls". And considering I have unlimited text/data (throttled after 5GB), I don't have to worry.

Now this solution isn't for everyone, granted. But even for those who don't want to deal with the hassle of setting up your own PBX you can get the same plan, but added talk time for $50 a month. Still a lot less than the other big carriers.

It's a matter of network coverage though.

Verizon >> AT&T > T-Mobile > Sprint > Any other garbage carrier out there.

I wouldn't put up with anything lower than AT&T no matter how cheap it was.

Wake me when they competitive signal coverage without dead zones.

Just ditched Sprint and got two Nexus 4 phones on T-Mobile's Pre-Paid. My bill went from $150 to $60 a month. Now that's only a $100 minutes, but considering I'm running my own PBX at Amazon (using their "free tier") I don't use a single minute anyway.

All my calls are "Internet Calls". And considering I have unlimited text/data (throttled after 5GB), I don't have to worry.

Now this solution isn't for everyone, granted. But even for those who don't want to deal with the hassle of setting up your own PBX you can get the same plan, but added talk time for $50 a month. Still a lot less than the other big carriers.

If Verizon offered that I'd be all over it. Unfortunately, Verizon is the only carrier with decent coverage where I live.

If Verizon offered that I'd be all over it. Unfortunately, Verizon is the only carrier with decent coverage where I live.

Yeah, I often drive around while streaming Spotify or Internet radio in my car. I also use the Waze navigation app, that relies on wireless data.

Verizon is the only network I can do this reasonably well with, without driving through frequent dead or slow zones. I used to have AT&T, and it was serviceable, but I would be frustrated by music dying, or directions not being available from time to time.

Judging from my friends experience with Tmobile and some colleagues experience with Sprint, I just wouldn't go there.

Back