Jeff Bezos Recovers Apollo Rocket Engines

isnt this really USAF/NASA property that really is a national property paid by american tax payers? Can these people just come and pick it up? granted i think it's going for a charity solution in the end, but if it was going to be for profit by somebody else, what would the law be?

isnt this really USAF/NASA property that really is a national property paid by american tax payers? Can these people just come and pick it up? granted i think it's going for a charity solution in the end, but if it was going to be for profit by somebody else, what would the law be?
International salvage?

After so many years it becomes finders keepers.

01.jpg

It's probably in international waters?

According to some of the articles about the recovery the engines are the property of NASA and Bezos has no dispute about that.

Of course he also has a private space company that has a contract with NASA to create a Taxi service for the ISS, so he may just want to stay on their good side.

According to some of the articles about the recovery the engines are the property of NASA and Bezos has no dispute about that.

Of course he also has a private space company that has a contract with NASA to create a Taxi service for the ISS, so he may just want to stay on their good side.

All the research I've done jives with this. NASA still owns the rockets, he is just recovering them because he's a big space nerd with money -- these things are a bit of our history and should be put on display. Would be cool to have one at the Museum of Flight that's for sure - they are really expanding their space exploration / history sections.

He would do good to stay on NAS's good side ;)

Ok here it goes...

Does that thing qualify for the Free Super Saver??

:rolleyes::D

They did the same thing in the VERY old TV show Salvage 1. But in that one, they were collecting the stuff left on the moon. :D

with the way NASA is getting hit by funding cuts... it sounds like NASA wouldn't really want to bit any hands when it comes to a very very rich man who loves anything to do with space.

Nobody else had the money or the interest to salvage these things, so I'd point anyone who raises a sink to the case of Finders v. Keepers.

Its in international waters, so this has no bearing.

Engines are property of NASA.
Some suspect that Blue Origin wants to get a look at the F-1 turbopumps and the 'museum piece' thing is a cover story.

Interestingly enough, NASA just refurbished and test fired F-1 serial number F-4023 at MSFC in support of the SLS program.

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/sls/f1_sls.html (video at the bottom of the page)
Sounds good, the F-1 engines are regarded as the best at heavy lifting, slow yes, but throw weight is important. Nice link.

Salvagers recovered the Liberty Bell 7 Capsule a few years back. (Sank after the astronaut got out)

If you read the story on his website, you would see that he ackowledges that the engines are still NASA property:

Though they've been on the ocean floor for a long time, the engines remain the property of NASA. If we are able to recover one of these F-1 engines that started mankind on its first journey to another heavenly body, I imagine that NASA would decide to make it available to the Smithsonian for all to see. If we're able to raise more than one engine, I've asked NASA if they would consider making it available to the excellent Museum of Flight here in Seattle. (For clarity, I'll point out that no public funding will be used to attempt to raise the engines, as it's being undertaken privately.)

Back