Judge: FBI Surveillance Method Violates First Amendment

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
A counter-terrorism tool used frequently by the FBI has been ruled unconstitutional by a California District Judge. The security issue in question is the use of National Security Letters which allows the FBI access to private information of individuals without first obtaining a court order.

This is a significant ruling, and comes at a time when the FBI has come under fire for using them with false claims and other such issues. NSLs are said to be a vital part of combating terrorism.

NSL are patently illegal under the Constitution. No warrant, no information. This is an attempt to circumvent the protections we Americans have gain through the years. This court got it right. I can only hope this invalidates the NSL laws completely. They should NEVER have been allowed to exist.

I think I know of one judge that is about to get an NSL examination done on his life.

:)

Then I am sure the stay on her ruling so it could go to the supreme court would evaporate.

terrorism is such a wide sweeping word. It has so many meanings that it leaves me confused. Maybe I should just go back to bed and call it a day!

F@#$ yeah, merica!

terrorism is such a wide sweeping word. It has so many meanings that it leaves me confused. Maybe I should just go back to bed and call it a day!

F@#$ yeah, merica!

Yea, and it used to be that Weapon of Mass Destruction was saved for things like Nuclear Bombs and Chemical/Biological Weapons, yet now even a soda bottle full of black powder is considered one.

NSLs are BS. If it's about terrorism they can easily go to a judge and say, "We have strong suspicion that Person A is possibly a terrorist because of X, Y, and Z, and we would like to have additional surveillance on them". If the reasons are anywhere close to good the judge would approve it.

The only reason the Judge wouldn't approve it is if the reasons are BS.

Back