Belkin Acquires Linksys

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Belkin announced on Friday that the company had completed the acquisition of Linksys. Both companies will be operating under their individual corporate names for the foreseeable future. The two companies will now work together on future projects while maintaining independent product support and websites.

By maintaining the Belkin and Linksys brands in home networking, Belkin aims to address a broader range of consumers with distinct networking solutions and will create the premier ecosystem for mobile devices and smart homes.

I can't really justify any reason to upgrade away from an 802.11g router, other then needing to reset it every so often. That can be solved by installing DD-WRT, given that your router is supported. Most aren't.

Most ISPs now just give you a router. One you really can't refuse not to use.

I actually don't hate belkin hardware, I have had some good, cheap, ddwrt capable routers from them.

I hate my ISP router, that I have to use because it is a dsl bonded modem as well, but hopefully a way to "bridge" it will be available and I can fully utilize my Almond+ kickstarter 802.11ac with zigbee router.

Well, add Linksys to the list of network hardware not to buy.

Belkin hardware looks nice, they are kind of like Apple when it comes to style, but they fall down by using cheap hardware inside, tied to terrible firmware, and virtually no support, and no updates.

I was never a fan of Linksys, anyway. I know people swear by them, but I've had nothing but issues with their hardware.

I think it's kind of funny considering how almost all current Linksys gear has the Cisco logo plastered all over it. I don't think they are going to clear existing stock, so for at least the next 6 months or so you're going to have Belkin selling Cisco branded gear.

I actually don't hate belkin hardware, I have had some good, cheap, ddwrt capable routers from them.

I hate my ISP router, that I have to use because it is a dsl bonded modem as well, but hopefully a way to "bridge" it will be available and I can fully utilize my Almond+ kickstarter 802.11ac with zigbee router.

The reason they won't allow you to bridge your connection is this - you only have 2 dhcp leases assigned. So, should you bridge your connection, and connect more than 2 devices.... Exactly. Your ISP isn't going to hand you 2-254 public facing ip addresses.

I've had stability and longevity issues with every LinkSys WiFi router I've bought and used, which is four of them. Now have a Belkin N750 for coming up on a year and have only had to reboot it once.

Belkin getting its hands on Linksys will probably do good things for Linksys. I've gone through a few Linksys routers. They generally left me with the impression that they were not only unstable, but had a penchant for failing due to overheating. Belkin equipment, on the other hand, has seemed more reliable and easier to ignore once configured.

Belkin getting its hands on Linksys will probably do good things for Linksys. I've gone through a few Linksys routers. They generally left me with the impression that they were not only unstable, but had a penchant for failing due to overheating. Belkin equipment, on the other hand, has seemed more reliable and easier to ignore once configured.

I guess times has changed cause I once had a Belkin Router that was straight junk. Mofo needed a reboot every few days :mad:

I guess times has changed cause I once had a Belkin Router that was straight junk. Mofo needed a reboot every few days :mad:

Perhaps it was a dud? I've handled quite a few Belkin routers in the last three or so years and they've not required any sort of messing around. Oddly enough, I also have had pretty good luck with DLink lately, though I wouldn't have thought so from a bad experience in the past with one of their routers.

Even more of a reason to finish my CCNA course and just buy Cisco routers/switches....

Hate to say it but Netgear has always been the most rock solid for me. The linksys isn't too bad but Belkin not a huge fan.

I have had a Linksys router for 8+ years before it died. Bought another Linksys to replace it. I also had an old ass Linksys 4 port 100 base hub made of metal that had network usage LEDS!! Also still have a 4 port 10 base Netgear hub with metal case.

Belkin can go DIAF. I have used all sorts of stuff from them: routers, wireless adapters, etc. Their hardware is junk and their software is worse.

Hm. How unfortunate. Well, too have been suggesting Asus' routers for quite some time. They natively run a customized "Asus WRT" firmware and support DD-WRT and plenty of other options. The hardware is also top notch, all things considered. I'm using their new 802.11AC router with all the routing functions turned off (which, it actually comes with a nice preset to use the thing as a switch and wireless, if you have another router) and it has really boosted my wireless performance, even with many of my devices having 802.11N at current. Its too bad that Linksys isn't in the hands of someone more interested in making the best, most open devices around instead of a company that is basically interested in making products to be sold in Best Buy for jacked up prices.

time to go to cisco aironet :)

we've been running asus routers for some time - no issues.

I didn't even know ASUS made routers. I see that they support DD-WRT to be flashed on them. That's pretty nifty.

Rocking an RT-AC66U ASUS Router right now flashed with DD-WRT. :D

Those Asus routers are bad ass, if you can justify the price of them. I'd jump on one in a heartbeat if they didn't cost so damn much.

Those Asus routers are bad ass, if you can justify the price of them. I'd jump on one in a heartbeat if they didn't cost so damn much.

If you don't need the 802.11AC variant, you can buy the RT-N66U which is an open source compatible AsusWRT/DD-WRT running etc... "best of 802.11N" dual-band 400mb+400mb latest-gen-N router, for pretty cheap these days.

Belkin, hahah, no. Just, no. Looks like ASUS for my next router. I figure once I get my first 802.11ac device, I'll dump my Linksys E2000. For sure I want my next router with ac and simultaneous dual-band. At the moment it works though, just have to reset about every 6 weeks which isn't entirely too bad. That RT-AC66U looks amazing though. Tempting, but I'll hold off yet.

Netgear here.

I've played with and sold the Asus units, they are super
easy to setup, and solid feature sets.

The reason they won't allow you to bridge your connection is this - you only have 2 dhcp leases assigned. So, should you bridge your connection, and connect more than 2 devices.... Exactly. Your ISP isn't going to hand you 2-254 public facing ip addresses.

How is that different than any other modem only modem? There's no reason why they can't just require you to use a router to handle DHCP leases if you want have more than one device connected. Comcast allows me to bridge my modem/router but I need to have my own router or pay for additional IPs.

I don't really like Belkin products but it would be hard for them to mess up Linksys more than Cisco already has but I still don't see myself buying another Linksys router. I've been looking at some of the Netgear and Asus routers recently and they seem to be the best right now.

The Belkin router we have at work for testing purposes with a Comcast cable modem needs to be rebooted way too often. All of our production network gear is real Cisco and works just fine. No way I would buy a Belkin router for home after my experience at work.

I have an Apple Airport Extreme at home because it was about the only router that got almost all positive reviews for the hardware itself. (Lots of negatives on the price.) It just works and it has never needed a reboot to date.

My WRT54G is still blazing like a champ. Once in a blue moon it needs a power cycle, but very rarely.

My parents WRT54G is about to hit 10 years old (in July) and has run constantly and flawlessly from day one.

I've never understood the Linksys hate but I guess the truth about consumer networking equipment is that much like hard drives, for every person who hates Seagate, there is one that loves them, same thing with WD, etc.

^ That was back when Linksys actually sold good products, hence why it has lasted so long.
The crap they've sold since 2005 has been just that, crap.

Everytime I go to a site that has a downed router, it's a Linksys.
Every. Single. Time.

+1 to Netgear and ASUS routers.

My parents WRT54G is about to hit 10 years old (in July) and has run constantly and flawlessly from day one.

I've never understood the Linksys hate but I guess the truth about consumer networking equipment is that much like hard drives, for every person who hates Seagate, there is one that loves them, same thing with WD, etc.

When did Cisco acquire Linksys? 2003. The above user pointed out that the quality has been declining since around 2005 and I agree with him. Cisco has done a piss poor job handling Linksys and actually hurt the brand itself. Belkin's interested because they probably think that they can bring Linksys back to top tier status and salvage the damage that Cisco caused to Linksys.

Awww man. Never and any good experiences with belkin products save for their surge protectors. Hope they don't screw up Linksys. ** fingers crossed **

When did Cisco acquire Linksys? 2003. The above user pointed out that the quality has been declining since around 2005 and I agree with him. Cisco has done a piss poor job handling Linksys and actually hurt the brand itself. Belkin's interested because they probably think that they can bring Linksys back to top tier status and salvage the damage that Cisco caused to Linksys.

Belkin name just makes me think fleamarket crap :D

Well, it's the end of a good era. I've always loved Linksys and especially Cisco. I've had my WRT54GL for about a decade, and man it's been fucking awesome. Such a great router, especially with DD-WRT. I love that Cisco logo on there too. I guess in the future if I need to get a new router, I'm gonna be going specifically with Cisco.

Back