Facebook to Introduce Hashtags

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Facebook will soon be hashtag bound according to The Wall Street Journal. Facebook is tearing a page out of Twitter’s playbook and throwing it back in the company’s face, (or would that be beak) possibly reaching into their corporate pocket, siphoning off some of their advertising revenue.

Facebook plans to launch its own Linkify’d version of the hashtag, allowing users to connect common themes and trending topics around the social network by adding the simple hashtag symbol to a status update.

Couldn't you add the symbol anyway already? Assuming you actually use Facebook.

It's such a dumb idea from the engineering perspective. Instead of minimizing traffic to servers they force an XHR right after the page loads... Completely unnecessary.

But if it will lace their pockets with cash, oh well. :rolleyes:

Engineering fail.

Facebook... The place were ALL Political Experts hang out at....

/sigh.

I'm clearly an old curmudgeon. Every time I see a "hashtag," I wonder what the hell that pound sign is doing in front of a word. Now this craziness is going to be even more prevalent. Awesome.

I'm clearly an old curmudgeon. Every time I see a "hashtag," I wonder what the hell that pound sign is doing in front of a word. Now this craziness is going to be even more prevalent. Awesome.

Not if you don't use Twitter and Facebook :p

Me too. So, can someone explain the use of the hashtag? I don't feel like delving into the world of twitter, etc. to find out.

What's the point in sticking # in front of text? Can't anyone with a keyboard do that already without some grand rollout or have people forgotten how to press the shift key on their keyboards?

Not if you don't use Twitter and Facebook :p

I don't use either, but I do occasionally watch the news or a few odd shows on TV, and it baffles me how often people need to report about "what's trending" and such. It's only going to be happening more now.

Back