Microsoft Surface Pro Sales Hit 400K In A Hurry

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess 400k isn't a bad number. Imagine how many Microsoft would have sold by now if they would have skipped the lame Surface RT and just sold the Pro from the start?

Microsoft has sold 400,000 Surface Pros since launch. That's not a bad start for a very pricey tablet -- starting at $899 -- considering that the Windows 8-based Pro launched only about a month ago. "That's a respectable number and it leads me to believe that Surface Pro will end up outselling Surface RT," Bob O'Donnell, an analyst at IDC, said in a phone interview.

I guess if you think in terms of normal laptops, that's a decent number. That's basically what the Pro is, a touchscreen laptop without the keyboard.

I wonder how other laptops fare on launch. HP DV and Envy series, Dell Inspirons and Precisions, and so on.

I'm disappointed that it's not even close to the 2.6 million iPad 2 sales made in its first month and the Surface Pro is marketed as more useful. Tied to the fact that Apple has already done much of the leg work in creating demand for tablets to pave the way for later clone products, that certainly paints a gloomy picture of the future. Perhaps other OEMs will do better on price, storage capacity, and battery life with similar products if they see a reason to sell them.

My wife got one and after playing with it for a few hours, any comparison to an iPad becomes invalidated. It's far, far closer to something like a Macbook air or "ultrabook" than a tablet.

My wife got one and after playing with it for a few hours, any comparison to an iPad becomes invalidated. It's far, far closer to something like a Macbook air or "ultrabook" than a tablet.

Microsoft has always been pretty weak in marketing their products. The Surface Pro seems like another victim of that shortcoming. I've heard people call it the "Microsoft iPad" and, in the same vein, people often say it's "an iPad with a lot less battery life and a crappy app store" which are obviously both not keeping the intended role of the device in proper perspective. I've even heard "Windows iPad" a few times. I haven't bothered myself with trying to explain the differences to people. If they ask me for advice, I just suggest they try one out in a store and if they're already Apple product owners (iPhone, Mac, etc) I invariably steer them back to the Apple ecosystem since, thanks to ultrabooks and products like the Surface Pro, there isn't a cost advantage to buying standard PC hardware. :(

it leads me to believe that Surface Pro will end up outselling Surface RT

duh :p

Who in their right mind would buy a Surface RT? You're much better off, IMO, with an Android or iOS tablet in that segment. If you want x86, the surface is probably a better buy.

Of course the ipad had to be mentioned but I am glad someone already said this is not a direct competitor to the ipad, the RT was and guess what happened to it?

This tablet is $900-$1000, twice as much as the ipad, different league, different crowd in mind.

Good for them, 400k is a good number and this is a good tablet, my friend bought one and is super happy with it. I would consider one for the wacom digitalizer since I sold my cintiq and would love to have something with similar capabilities but more portable.

I have the most expensive surface on the market lol. The Sony Vaio Duo. $1600 for it and I dont regret it one bit. The idea of the surface pro is brilliant the execution not so much.

Granted I haven't spent THAT much time with it (a few minutes here and there) but I think it's a pretty fine device we've been happy to have. Once you get used to all of the "nuances" in Windows 8, it's like having a small touch-screen laptop that you can leave in your bag at the airport.
The only full-on red flag we've noticed has been the battery life. Maybe I'm spoiled because of the iPad and/or laptops with a large add-on battery, but the Surface Pro definitely goes through battery power pretty quickly. Hopefully there will be some good options for extending that on the horizon. Other than that, I like it.

After subjecting Crackle users to those aggravating Surface Pro commercials 7.4 billion times, I would expect that they'd sell more than a handful.

Considering this device when based on what it can do is basically aimed at every market (tablet and computer) im surprised it didnt sell more? They really need to push it as a computer alternative, that is where its strength lies. Microsoft has what, at least 80% of desktop market share?

it didnt sell more because people dont want to spend $1000 on a tablet when for what they do, a $400 tablet will suffice.

I'm disappointed that it's not even close to the 2.6 million iPad 2 sales made in its first month and the Surface Pro is marketed as more useful. Tied to the fact that Apple has already done much of the leg work in creating demand for tablets to pave the way for later clone products, that certainly paints a gloomy picture of the future. Perhaps other OEMs will do better on price, storage capacity, and battery life with similar products if they see a reason to sell them.

Surface Pro and iPad are two entirely different classes of tablets. Surface RT and iPad is more comparable. Surface Pro is a laptop (ultrabook) class tablet.

Surface Pro and iPad are two entirely different classes of tablets. Surface RT and iPad is more comparable. Surface Pro is a laptop (ultrabook) class tablet.

You and I understand that, but not everyone does. That's why, in a previous post, I lamented Microsoft's marketing. It has failed to brand the different Surface models in a meaningful manner to highlight the segmentation of the products. It's also failed, I think, to point out the advantages of a Surface Pro over ARM-based devices. The first month sales underscore those shortcomings. There's a market for x86 tablets like the Surface Pro and I think it's a fairly large market now that we've gotten introduced to mainstream tablet computing by Apple. Microsoft and PC OEMs can make good use of that new market with the right products at the right price.

400k is below expectations. Some sites were even calling it a flop. 400k tablets in it's first month is a small number. When the iPad mini debuted it sold 3 million in 3 days.

You and I understand that, but not everyone does. That's why, in a previous post, I lamented Microsoft's marketing. It has failed to brand the different Surface models in a meaningful manner to highlight the segmentation of the products. It's also failed, I think, to point out the advantages of a Surface Pro over ARM-based devices. The first month sales underscore those shortcomings. There's a market for x86 tablets like the Surface Pro and I think it's a fairly large market now that we've gotten introduced to mainstream tablet computing by Apple. Microsoft and PC OEMs can make good use of that new market with the right products at the right price.

Gotcha, and I agree. Microsoft needs to improve distinguishing 8 and RT to the public. They're probably going to have a hard time explaining x86 and ARM in a 60 second commercial, but RT and 8 is easier. RT if you only want to use programs from the app store, 8 if you want to use everything you've always used on the PC.

400k is below expectations. Some sites were even calling it a flop. 400k tablets in it's first month is a small number. When the iPad mini debuted it sold 3 million in 3 days.

Not one of those iPads retailed for $900 however as the top retail price of the first gen iPad with 64GB of storage and broadband was $830.

I don't see how 400k units sold in a month of very unconventional PC starting at $900 could be considered a flop. How many units does a $1k PC generally move in it's first month? I doubt that it's anywhere near 400k.

IIRC, the Surface Pro has been sold out since its launch, which means that they are probably having manufacturing issues and would be able to sell more if they were available.

I think the Surface numbers are solid, its pretty good to see a 1/2 a million units sold are that price point. I think that the Surface Pro falls victim to the negativity surrounding the Windows 8 release. There were a ton of people complaining about the changes to the OS, but lets face it they wanted to focus towards the touch interface so they created Win 8 to naively take advantage of that, instead of creating something like Win7 that just boasted touch compatibility but didn't focus on that. They basically used the Surface Pro as their driving force to switch gears into the new interface design. I say that is pretty smart.

Our iPad just sits there. Nobody wants to use it. It appears to be a big cellphone with the phone busted and crappy software options that require a taste for Appleware. AFAIK, it doesn't do anything an iPhone won't.

The Surface Pro is a computer. It runs software, even software that Microsoft doesn't sell. Has USB3.0. ie you can back it up in minutes without Microsoft being present. A 256GB USB3.0 stick opens world's of possibilites that Apple doesn't want you to have.

The non-roaming iPad 128gb is $799, keyboard extra, USB useless, software restricted.

iPad and the iPad mini are fundamentally media consumption devices. They are running on a gimped OS with applications that are extremely simplified. Because of that they can charge a much lower entry fee since it is cheaper by raw components alone.

the Surface Pro should never be compared to an iPad. While I can see the general population at large doing that (because they are willfully ignorant idiots)...anybody on this forum should be taken out back and shot for doing so.

One of the major complaints is that the MSP has no cellular option.

Duh. http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Mobile-WebConnect-USB-Laptop-Internet-Stick-Modem-/270656011597#vi-content

$37 for the MSP cellular option, $130 for the same option on an iPad.

The lack of integrated broadband It is a pretty common complaint but one that to me isn't an issue as a I several tablets and laptops that I use so a MiFi ends up being more practical plus each time I buy a device I don't have a $100 added to the cost of the unit.

Another thing to carry but it also saves on battery on the device and it's easily shared among devices.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
One of the major complaints is that the MSP has no cellular option.

Duh. http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Mobile-WebConnect-USB-Laptop-Internet-Stick-Modem-/270656011597#vi-content

$37 for the MSP cellular option, $130 for the same option on an iPad.

Adding something that juts out from the side of the tablet which risks damage and adversely impacts battery life are some pretty significant downsides to adding that capability to the Surface Pro, but I don't think cellular modems are really the crux of the problem. Most iPads I've personally seen are WiFi only and the same goes for Android tablets. Frequently, consumers are left asking, "Why get a cellular-enabled tablet when I already have a phone for that?" I'm pretty sure, when it comes to mobile Internet, phones are still filling the majority of peoples' needs.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Gotcha, and I agree. Microsoft needs to improve distinguishing 8 and RT to the public. They're probably going to have a hard time explaining x86 and ARM in a 60 second commercial, but RT and 8 is easier. RT if you only want to use programs from the app store, 8 if you want to use everything you've always used on the PC.

They need to maket it as the ultimate Ultra Book. Thiner, lighter, runs all your windows apps..
Plus, it can even funtion as a tablet.

My problem with the surface tablet is the price and keyboard. I dont like tablets so 90% of the time id use the surface pro id have a keyboard attached to it, part of the time id try to use it on my lap. this is where it fails, it needs a hard flat surface to be propped up.

the 2nd failure to me is price. for $1300 i could have a SWEET laptop that wouldnt fall to pieces when i tried to use it on the go, sofa, or bed.

Adding something that juts out from the side of the tablet which risks damage and adversely impacts battery life are some pretty significant downsides to adding that capability to the Surface Pro, but I don't think cellular modems are really the crux of the problem. Most iPads I've personally seen are WiFi only and the same goes for Android tablets. Frequently, consumers are left asking, "Why get a cellular-enabled tablet when I already have a phone for that?" I'm pretty sure, when it comes to mobile Internet, phones are still filling the majority of peoples' needs.

Also, like my Windows Phone on T Mobile, I can wireless tethering/ internet sharing.

My problem with the surface tablet is the price and keyboard. I dont like tablets so 90% of the time id use the surface pro id have a keyboard attached to it, part of the time id try to use it on my lap. this is where it fails, it needs a hard flat surface to be propped up.

the 2nd failure to me is price. for $1300 i could have a SWEET laptop that wouldnt fall to pieces when i tried to use it on the go, sofa, or bed.

The Surface Pro is but one of a growing number of x86 hybrid devices on the market and many of these hybrids are of the folding keyboard dock nature like several OEMs already have out on the market. I think it made sense for Microsoft to come up with a more unique design.

I do see where you're coming from though as I like the folding keyboard dock design concept better then the Surface's stand. The negative of the folding dock design is that you end up with another piece that can be inconvenient when you're moving around and simply want a tablet.

It is much easier to consume bandwidth on a device like the Surface Pro than an ARM tablet as it's quite normal to download much larger applications and files on a desktop OS than an ARM tablet. Of course I wouldn't normally download anything large over LTE but eating a 5GB or 10GB cap in an hour is pretty simple to do on a PC. So it all depends on individual needs.

I don't see how 400k units sold in a month of very unconventional PC starting at $900 could be considered a flop. How many units does a $1k PC generally move in it's first month? I doubt that it's anywhere near 400k.

How much is generally spent advertising a $1k PC? I doubt its anywhere near the tens or hundreds of millions Microsoft spent on creepy breakdancing office workers and schoolgirls playing round the clock everywhere

MS lost money if only 400k units assuming that's even accurate, I'm always leery of big round numbers. And in any case sales have flatlined since, visibility and buzz have dropped off a cliff

iPad and the iPad mini are fundamentally media consumption devices. ...

If Apple gets the choice, they'd rather have them thought of as Apple Vending Machines.

Who ever thought you could sell vending machines to people, then the people put coins in it, and the money goes back to Apple.

How much is generally spent advertising a $1k PC? I doubt its anywhere near the tens or hundreds of millions Microsoft spent on creepy breakdancing office workers and schoolgirls playing round the clock everywhere

MS lost money if only 400k units assuming that's even accurate, I'm always leery of big round numbers. And in any case sales have flatlined since, visibility and buzz have dropped off a cliff

Not sure what the issue is with big round numbers, that's generally how the sales of devices are reported and this is just a rumor. And as for losing money on the Surface at this point, perhaps, but we're only talking about 5 months in and as much of a failure are some want to say the Surface is, we're looking at $1 billion is sales revenue from Surface 8/RT. I don't know what the Surface cost to develop and what the ad budget is but I don't think Microsoft is swimming in red over the Surface and is probably pretty close to even if not a little ahead.

Without the numbers it's all guess work but this is just the start. I think it's safe to say that Microsoft has created a PC brand for itself and that it can make them some money and that it should ramp up in time.

Also, like my Windows Phone on T Mobile, I can wireless tethering/ internet sharing.

Very true. And like this guy down here says
VV

It is much easier to consume bandwidth on a device like the Surface Pro than an ARM tablet as it's quite normal to download much larger applications and files on a desktop OS than an ARM tablet. Of course I wouldn't normally download anything large over LTE but eating a 5GB or 10GB cap in an hour is pretty simple to do on a PC. So it all depends on individual needs.

There is going to probably be a tendency to lean toward larger amounts of downloading because of the PC-centric design. Those situations may not lend themselves to cellular internet data plans unless carriers are more generous (isn't T Mobile unlimited like Sprint) with their data caps. The lack of cellular hardware as an option just doesn't seem like a significant factor.

Should have called the surface, Pane. Their marketting slogan could be like, "Feel the pane" or "Here comes the pane for our competitors" or "Pane in the ass".

Ok, maybe not the last one but it will have close ties to the Windows product.

And as for losing money on the Surface at this point, perhaps, but we're only talking about 5 months in and as much of a failure are some want to say the Surface is, we're looking at $1 billion is sales revenue from Surface 8/RT. .

They spent $400 million on their Surface ad campaign. http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-tv-...expected-to-commence-monday-night-7000005790/ That's not even including their Windows 8 ads.

With 1.1 million RTs and 400k Pros. They have spent $267 in adverting for every tablet they have sold.

They spent $400 million on their Surface ad campaign. http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-tv-...expected-to-commence-monday-night-7000005790/ That's not even including their Windows 8 ads.

With 1.1 million RTs and 400k Pros. They have spent $267 in adverting for every tablet they have sold.

lol! i like this observation. i for one love the idea of the surface, and plan on buying one if they fix some issues with this one with the haswell refresh. if not, i will find a similar samsung or whatever alternative that does do those things.

Considering this device when based on what it can do is basically aimed at every market (tablet and computer) im surprised it didnt sell more? They really need to push it as a computer alternative, that is where its strength lies. Microsoft has what, at least 80% of desktop market share?

The problem is that most normal people don't know it can do more and don't even understand why it exists.

Most normal people do not even get the difference between an ARM and X86 CPU. And that in the end is a shortcoming MS needs to address.

They are loosing massive amount of cash on surface pro and RT. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that. They are doing the same as they did with XBOX. Called market penetration and they hope long term benefits will have good pseudo profits by garnering a wider adoption of WinMO 8 and Desktops and Laptops not to mention the platform lock in for LIVE and other MS cloud services. Unfortunately if they think they can do the same as the xbox they are massively delusional when xbox came out there was 1 or two competitors and plenty of room for other competitors. They are now trying to enter a heavily saturated market which has a massive lock in ratio from Google and Apple. If they think people will drop Apple or Google services and apps they have heavily invested in they are totally
out to fucking lunch. XBOX was a small market and they lost money on the entertainment side for HOW LONG? If they think they can do the same with Windows 8 and surface Ballmer(fucking useless ) will be looking for a new job because its going to financially hurt MS.

Back