Nonsensical Texting May Be Sign of Stroke

HardOCP News

[H] News
Quick, if you know a teenager, get them to a hospital as soon as possible! :D

He texted, "Tjhe Doctor nddds a new bb," looked it over, and concluded that his message contained no errors. (He was also, it seems, unable to crack any BlackBerry jokes.) Researchers at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit say this case study illustrates how "dystexia," coined during a similar case several months ago, can sometimes be the only sign of a stroke.

Well I always thought teenager had something wrong in their heads....

That said, it could also simply be a matter of him glancing over what he just texted, and since he was the one who wrote it, it looked perfectly fine in his mind. This is why if you need something proof read it works a lot better to have someone else proof read it.

Or you have an old Samsung Gravity 2 and the keypad doesn't work like it used to, giving you extra letters.

Unfortunately all texts look like that so it is not any kind of reliable indicator.

I'd say roughly 1/3 of the emails I get at work are possible stroke cases. Luckily the medical equipment needed is readily available. It's amazing they don't teach email or general correspondance etiquette as a pre-requisite.

Also any (most) kids texting using the garbled letters they now call words are stroke victims.

I went out with a girl who had a stroke when she was 9 years old, so this doesn't surprise me

In other news: incomprehensible moaning may indicate murder...

and the other - more regular - thing.

HA! My wife says I have Distextia (coined several months ago, my ass!) all the time because my texts are usually crap. I have fat fingers, I guess. Autocorrect doesn't do a good job on some words, either.

Back