Google Replaces Android Boss

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google has replaced the guy in charge of Android with the guy in charge of Chrome. The guy in charge of Chrome will be doing both jobs for now while the ex-Android guy does nothing.

In a shakeup Google CEO Larry Page announced Wednesday, Andy Rubin — who has led Android from the start and helped make it the most widely used mobile OS — is moving on to … well, that isn’t clear. Taking his place is Sundar Pichai, the senior vice president in charge of the Chrome browser and OS. Pichai will continue running all things Chrome as well. Although it remains to be seen just what Rubin will be doing, it appears he’s staying at Google.

I wonder how it would go if I went to work and said... "hey I don't want to do my job anymore, but could you keep me around and keep paying me."

I guess when you make a company that much money and have that much influence on their road map, it may be worth keeping you around for a while even if they have nothing for you to do.

I've been paid to do nothing plenty of times. One time I was taking home $1000 net to do nothing. Guess what? Once the company I was working for stopped getting money for my time I got the pink slip.

I've also worked placed where I have busted my ass and got the same pink slip when the money dried up. In corporate America there is no loyalty anymore I've seen people get pink slips for the company to avoid one week dry spells and then have the balls to call and ask if we will come back to work. Pretty much the only place that is going to keep a guy paid that much money that won't do his job anymore is Google or the US government. Any other place that has a bottom line you are no different than tools, office supplies, copier paper, or any other disposible item.

So won't be long until the release of Android v26.14.1230.10 then...

Exactly, I just hope he doesn't screw Android.
I don't really like Chrome. It still has no proper RSS implementation, not enough control over the browser (the option menu is a joke, if you remove the google account there not much left) and the continuous update without any real change...

I wonder how it would go if I went to work and said... "hey I don't want to do my job anymore, but could you keep me around and keep paying me."

Better to keep him on staff, even if he does nothing, than to have him go to a competitor.

Wiss.%20Androiden.jpg

I say this is a bad move and could hurt Google more in the long run.

What's wrong with Android becoming browser-centric and having no applications or local storage? It's a lot easier to keep track of what Chrome OS users are doing since almost everything is browser-based and there aren't any of those silly third party leeches making money on locally installed .apk files that can't be as easily monitored.

Back