Women On Facebook A Bunch of Lying Liars?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Are women on Facebook a bunch of lying liars? I'm going to take the fifth on this one. :D

So what are women supposedly lying about on social media? According to The Telegraph, "Nearly 30 percent of women lied about 'doing something when I am home alone', almost a quarter overstated their alcohol consumption while one in five were not truthful about their holiday activities or their jobs." It also found that around 20 percent lied about their relationship status.

tumblr_me9gyn5Na01rqcu9eo1_500.jpg

Gotta love the secrecy of the interwebs! Oh, did I mention that I have a Ph.D in theoretical physics, that I'm married to Emma Watson, and that my daily drivers is a Ferrari concept car that they don't even know exists? True story.

Gotta love the secrecy of the interwebs! Oh, did I mention that I have a Ph.D in theoretical physics, that I'm married to Emma Watson, and that my daily drivers is a Ferrari concept car that they don't even know exists? True story.

You forgot to point out how perky your moobs are or how amazing your 2 billion square foot home on Cypress is.

1. Why don't articles ever cite their stupid sources anymore? I can't find the Pencourage study nor the OnePoll study.
2. Why is there nothing regarding men, or just people?

Hey I have a PhD in theoretical physics too, we probably know each other... WHAT MY EMMA IS CHEATING ON ME?

I see a lot less lies from girls/woman with social media and lot more meaningless quotes that don't really apply to them.

Because men are notorious for being completely truthful? puhleeze...

Well, that was kind of what I brought out of the article posted. The author didn't really question what was stated, just that she doubted that men were any more truthful on Facebook.

I think we can all come to a concensus though that people who use Facebook are liars fairly often, regardless of your gender.

What do you expect with a platform based around self-serving narcissism? Everybody wants to think they're unique little flowers with interesting lives and that people give a damn about them. The only reason I even have a facebook page is because I thought it would be considered weird *not to*. I expect employers to potentially google me and so forth, and when someone asks for my FB account you get odd looks when you say "I dont have one".

1. Why don't articles ever cite their stupid sources anymore? I can't find the Pencourage study nor the OnePoll study.
2. Why is there nothing regarding men, or just people?

Actually the author of the article was calling out the study against women and made her own observation and found that it's a human thing, not a woman thing. She linked another study at the end of the article to back her up. This topic of this thread is a little bit off. It should be something like "Author thinks women are being singled out regarding lying on Facebook because men and children do the same thing", but I guess that's a little too long :-P

Did anyone else get asked by Chrome whether to translate this article from Polish to English?

Meanwhile 50% of men deny having a Facebook account. 90% of those actually do have a Facebook account, but:
a) You know too much about them and would call them out on their bullshit
b) Don't want you to know those friends
c) Forgot the password and email address used to create the account
d) Have been lying to you all along and their real life is on Facebook

All I know is that, the male friends I have that have Facebook accounts almost never post. When they do, it's little factoids of their life, politics or pictures. The women are constantly posting what they're doing, thinking, where they are, who they are there with, where they ate, what they ate, what movie they saw, what clothes they're wearing, shoes they just bought, this cute thing my ____ did, my husband/boyfriend did this, etc. I'm pretty sure women use facebook competitively more than men do. This doesn't prove anything, just my personal observations.

If I had to give a hypothesis, it would be that guys don't sweat the small stuff. Sure we'll wish we had the nice car someone else has, but I could not care less about how nice some dudes shoes are. I think women sweat the small stuff, giving more opportunity to fudge misc things on facebook. If a guy lies on facebook, it's about something big (and therefore more risky, and done less often.) I know, it's a lame hypothesis, but then again this is a random internet comment, it's as good as you're gonna get. :>

People lie/over exaggerate things in real life. Why would it be any different online?

People lie/over exaggerate things in real life. Why would it be any different online?

Well, first and foremost it's a lot easier to lie with a keyboard on the internet than speaking with someone face-to-face.

And second, it's a lot easier to lie to someone you NEVER see face-to-face.

All I know is that, the male friends I have that have Facebook accounts almost never post. When they do, it's little factoids of their life, politics or pictures. The women are constantly posting what they're doing, thinking, where they are, who they are there with, where they ate, what they ate, what movie they saw, what clothes they're wearing, shoes they just bought, this cute thing my ____ did, my husband/boyfriend did this, etc. I'm pretty sure women use facebook competitively more than men do. This doesn't prove anything, just my personal observations.

If I had to give a hypothesis, it would be that guys don't sweat the small stuff. Sure we'll wish we had the nice car someone else has, but I could not care less about how nice some dudes shoes are. I think women sweat the small stuff, giving more opportunity to fudge misc things on facebook. If a guy lies on facebook, it's about something big (and therefore more risky, and done less often.) I know, it's a lame hypothesis, but then again this is a random internet comment, it's as good as you're gonna get. :>

I agree 100%..I know that I rarely post things unless I find them important, not just a bunch of BS..then again, I spend way less time on FB then most single men do..

#reallifeisbetter (or so I'm told) :p

I Third this.

I never got into social media, when I was starting out on the PC "My space" what "The place to be" and subsequently got known as a haven for viruses, kidnappers, rapists, etc (not to mention by then I was coding my own webpages that were much better in NOTEPAD) When Facebook came along, I just assumed it was basically "Myspace 2.0" (and I wasnt far off........)

Fast forward about 15 years, I have a Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and I think two or three other social media accounts.... never use them. I think I've made 3 tweets, have 1 friend in Google+, and my Facebook is 100% fake with no real info, no real pic, no real anything - I only have it because it's become common for companies to do a "Like us on facebook and get 10% off/free shipping/free item/etc" promotions...

I've always referred to FB as a personal billboard/commercial where most of the people using it try and sell everyone else on how great their life is. Mix that with a little obsessive viewing of other peoples posts that they shouldn't even care about and that's FB in a nut shell.

I deleted mine for what feels like almost two years ago. Never looked back.

If I had to give a hypothesis, it would be that guys don't sweat the small stuff.

My thoughts exactly. My wife is a cyber stalker, she goes to peoples face book pages, looks at all their pictures, looks at all their friends and their pictures and so on and so on , she posts stuff everyday where she is going, what the kids are doing, etc etc.

I felt uncomfortable posting anything because i felt it was an invasion of privacy, sure i dont mind if say my mother saw some of them but sometimes i didnt want my mother to see them -- so i never posted and eventually closed my account.

Biggest thing women lie about: Their pictures.
Face plastered with makeup and self pics strategically angled iso-metrically from the top down to mask their real weight.

People lie outside of facebook all the time.

Its a surprise they lie in it?

moving on..

I've always referred to FB as a personal billboard/commercial where most of the people using it try and sell everyone else on how great their life is. Mix that with a little obsessive viewing of other peoples posts that they shouldn't even care about and that's FB in a nut shell.

I deleted mine for what feels like almost two years ago. Never looked back.

+1

Facebook is the men's watercooler/ladie's gossip central/teenager self-idealizing tool of the 21st Century.

Before I deleted my account, I used to tell people to call me if they wanted to talk (just like texting... just f*ing call me!). If they didn't have my number, then obviously, I didn't want to talk to them anyways...

Facebook is about social status and comparing people's lives. Women are notoriously more prone to get into competitive "life comparisons" with other women than men are. Men are more prone to be jealous about a guy's tools, or cars, but not so much about other things that facebook emphasizes.

And, like others, I've also noticed that 80% of female posts on facebook consist of those mushy sayings about how the fact that they're overweight, or ugly, or tired, or anything else ... is bloody awesome and everyone should embrace it. All the feel-good "accept people for who they are" that nobody actually lives by. Oh, and those posts of "being a mother is the hardest thing in the world, ever, you ungrateful bastards". I see a lot of those. Most of the posts I see from guys are the "look at my bike" or "look at my car" type. I only have one person on my FB feed that shows me pictures of food and, frankly, he's just a classic hipster wannabe.

Back