Netflix Launches ISP Speed Index Page

You really want to see how sucky your ISP is? Go to graph view and look where Google Fiber shows up compared to what you've got. :(

Me WANT MOAR FIBER!

You really want to see how sucky your ISP is? Go to graph view and look where Google Fiber shows up compared to what you've got. :(

Me WANT MOAR FIBER!

Google Fiber is listed with an average speed of 3.35 Mbps ... so yeah, it's hardly a comparison of how sucky your ISP is.

"Average Speed" is a silly measurement. More people are speed limited by the fact that they chose the cheapest/slowest broadband plan available than anything.

I'm on Comcast Business and there isn't any time day or night that I can't peg my connection at ~29Mbps.

Google Fiber is listed with an average speed of 3.35 Mbps ... so yeah, it's hardly a comparison of how sucky your ISP is.

Gotcha, becuase comparatively the other ISP's are even better. I think that's the point of a "comparative" chart. Averaged or not, GF is still kicking ass. :rolleyes:

i'd say part of this is also what people choose to buy, i know a lot of older fold that only get the 1.5 so they pay the least amount per month they can. i also know that it's the ISPs still offering the shitty 1.5 that need to up the minimum plan you can get. either way, i am happy with my 7m connection and i will remind you whippersnappers that us old folks used to measure speed with k's and not m's

i'd say part of this is also what people choose to buy, i know a lot of older fold that only get the 1.5 so they pay the least amount per month they can. i also know that it's the ISPs still offering the shitty 1.5 that need to up the minimum plan you can get. either way, i am happy with my 7m connection and i will remind you whippersnappers that us old folks used to measure speed with k's and not m's

Technically we didnt use k's either, it was just a 4 digit number.

Yeah my isp sucks big time and its 2nd on the list behind google.

i'd say part of this is also what people choose to buy, i know a lot of older fold that only get the 1.5 so they pay the least amount per month they can.

Agreed. Often times people just pay for the basic broadband package because it's cheap, not because there isn't anything better.
I know that here in Denver, Comcast can give you 30+Mbps up/ and 5+Mbps down in almost every single part of town if you're willing to pay for the premium service. I know it's not like that everywhere, but you can get speeds over 10MB in a TON of places if you want it. Most people just go with the cheap package, or whatever default package is bundled with other utilities.

Agreed. Often times people just pay for the basic broadband package because it's cheap, not because there isn't anything better.
I know that here in Denver, Comcast can give you 30+Mbps up/ and 5+Mbps down in almost every single part of town if you're willing to pay for the premium service. I know it's not like that everywhere, but you can get speeds over 10MB in a TON of places if you want it. Most people just go with the cheap package, or whatever default package is bundled with other utilities.

Most people also don't stream anything but Netflix (which is throttled to 4 Mbps max I think) ... most don't download games digitally ... and most don't stream Vudu or other 1080p services ... without that they might only need slower speeds ;)

That said, I enjoy my Fios since I do download games digitally, I do stream Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu ... I download audiobooks from Audible regularly ... and I occasionally access VPN for work ... so for me faster is better :cool:

I wonder how much is also based on how much they are actually streaming... I mean, if the streams only take 2-3mbps how could one stream more?

Not to mention if they are connected via crappy wifi vs. wired..

I have Fios, 25/25 and the lowest I see my connection is usually 20/20.. But I can't use 20mb sucking stuff down from netflix..

The fastest I can get in my area is 10mbs. My only choice is Century Link. So I can easily believe this especially since I never actually see anywhere near my max. The highest I think I have ever seen is just under 2 Mps.

Technically we didnt use k's either, it was just a 4 digit number.

You're not old enough if you don't remember (and have used in decending order) 56K leased lines, 28.8, 14.4, 2400, 1200, and 300 baud modems. Of course if you ever used a 110 baud modem that you placed your phone handset onto then you're older than me :)

I remember the glory days of dowloading shareware and playing L.O.R.D. on BBS's using my sweet 2400 baud Packard Bell modem.

I'll never forget when my phone company first introduced 5MB ADSL back in 1999. It was like the internet was a totally different place.

I could be the one confused, but it seems like people are mixing up MBps and Mbps.

Gotcha, becuase comparatively the other ISP's are even better. I think that's the point of a "comparative" chart. Averaged or not, GF is still kicking ass. :rolleyes:

My point being, is if Google Fiber has an "average speed" of 3.3 Mbps when their speed should be somewhere between 100-1000 Mbps, all it shows is GF on average streams as fast as Netflix will allow, which is 30 to 300 times slower than what GF can handle.

Now why are the other places so slow? With DSL is obvious, because there are many speed ranges, for cable companies... maybe they're purposefully throttling Netflix, or perhaps their neighborhoods are oversaturated with users.

Going by what you said originally, as to how "sucky" one's ISP is, GF is not quite twice as good as U-verse... which is hardly the truth. In fact if I were on that list, I would be just as good as Google Fiber (which I'm not).

Well, we don't, or at least I don't, know how fast a Netflix stream can be, but I'd agree it's a lot slower than what GF can handle. And, I didn't look, but I don't know what metric they're using for average.

GF is not quite twice as good as U-verse... which is hardly the truth. In fact if I were on that list, I would be just as good as Google Fiber (which I'm not).

Eh, huh? Didn't copy that.

I have Cox residential cable and I get 100Mbps/20Mbps. My newsbin's download at around 8-9MB/sec.

Nice page! I have att uverse and it is 11 lol. As long as it is stable(which it is) nothing to complain about :) I get 18/1.5

This is simply an updated chart of one they published quite some time ago..My ISP, Mediacom, at the time was listed @ #6, and has now fallen to #8..There is still an error in the chart's metric, which should read MB/s, NOT Mb/s..It simply refers to the average stream speed from Netflix and has little to do with the carrier's max speed..

... and i will remind you whippersnappers that us old folks used to measure speed with k's and not m's

Are you trying to impersonate an old person? Hell, us really old folks used to measure speed without any letters!

Now get off of my lawn! :D

I could be the one confused, but it seems like people are mixing up MBps and Mbps.
I'm pretty sure it's Mbits/s. Mashing all the stream ratings into one number is kind of dumb. These ratings are kind of insignificant, other than showing which ISPs have a higher proportion of faster service subscribers.

HD streams top out at 7Mbps and 3D HD streams top out at 12Mbps. SD is much lower of course. Some content is not available in HD and a rating per ISP will only show an average of tiers Netflix streams (say average of 100x SD, 50x HD and 2x 3D). The bandwidth for each of those streams are pretty much whatever the content is available in and how fast Netflix can stream it to the client (SD fallback when too slow for HD, for example).

You could have a T3 and only watch max bitrate 3D movies and your rating would be 12Mbps or below. The low number doesn't mean much.

I live in the south bay of the bay area and I cant even get DSL where I live. The best connection (that is unlimited) I am able to get for any reasonable amount of money is a EVDO data card and the speeds are nothing to write home about. right now that its late night I was able to get this speed.

Screenshot_2013-03-13-00-54-50_zps3e5f6943.png

but sometimes its more like this.

Screenshot_2013-02-20-22-43-55_zpsd47f668e.png

keep in mind that is before I put it through a router so that I am able to use wifi.

(while I did the speeds using my cellphone they use the same network so the speeds are basically the same but about 20% slower on my comp due to using a router and wifi)

I even forgot to post the point of my previous post lol which was I would kill for the speeds you guys are complaining about. I cant even imagine being able to steam netflix at home. But thats what happens when you live on a few acres lol

Me WANT MOAR FIBER!

I don't get why people are willing to pay Google in order to get everything, not just browsing, they do mined by said company. Seriously...

157MB download 73MB upload 100% speed no downtime, no caps, and Verizon Fios currently protects its customers privacy information. not that Id have anything to worry about.

I think the list is meaningless.

@d1nxt
I decided to run a speed test on my system when I read this thread yesterday around 5pm (my time) with speedtest.net. It indicated I was getting between 34 and 35 (ran it twice). Seeing your numbers....wow. But, yours is obviously on a cell connection. I would have thought Cali would have been a bit better than that.

I see the chart and I have to wonder about it's validity. On a daily basis, I see the average person getting between 22 and 26. To me, reading this conversation and seeing the chart, I can't help but feel like there has to be something missing here. It makes me feel like this whole thing is slanted by cell usage (which makes sense I guess). I just don't get how so many people are perfectly willing to accept and pay for second and third best (especially when the desire is for gaming). Fiber is certainly capable of so much more. So is cable. I know that not everyone is able to get either one of those but this seems a bit ridiculous. I guess on the surface this might seem a little like gloating but it really isn't. It's just that five or six years ago, I saw too many people get 12. Things are getting better but to see these numbers...one would think the exact opposite. I'm sorry guys, but I see this thread as representing a true downgrade.

This is simply an updated chart of one they published quite some time ago..My ISP, Mediacom, at the time was listed @ #6, and has now fallen to #8..There is still an error in the chart's metric, which should read MB/s, NOT Mb/s..It simply refers to the average stream speed from Netflix and has little to do with the carrier's max speed..
I don't know about that, but either way it's impossible for Netflix to make an accurate estimate of how fast a particular connection is, for at least 2 reasons that I can think of:

1. It can't take into account WiFi speeds/issues. If they're determining speed by the average stream speed, local wireless conditions could be causing slowdown.
2. Even if they're attempting to test the connection as a whole, they can't account for multiple users/services. For example, my sister's house is wired with fiber (formerly Verizon, now Frontier) but any time one person in the house is using Netflix there could be up to 4 other people using the connection. With 3 Roku boxes, a Blu-ray player that allows streaming, 2 iPads, and 4 PCs, that's a lot of potential activity that would attenuate the speed available to a particular Netflix connection and all activity would have to be stopped to get an accurate measurement.

Even on my relatively slow 11 Mbps connection (CenturyLink), I max out streaming video quality because I'm the only person living here and I don't do any file sharing.

Back