Gamer Shuts Self In Home For 6 Years

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wait, so you are saying this isn't normal? Seriously though, dad needs to cut off the internet. Problem solved. :eek:

Last week, a post broke out on the Chinese Twitter clone Sina Weibo about a young a man who hasn't left his home in 6 years. The post, an impassioned plea for help, was written by the man's father in hopes that someone could help his son return to his normal life.

...dad needs to cut off the internet. Problem solved. :eek:

True that.

There's so little context in this report that it could be a billion things that affected this young guy. Psychological problems, bad family situation, social standing...who knows.

True that.

There's so little context in this report that it could be a billion things that affected this young guy. Psychological problems, bad family situation, social standing...who knows.

The guy is 27. He can do what he wants.

It sounds like his dad is the one who is paranoid.

Well, China does have a problem with little princes and princesses due to the one child policy ... unless he has agoraphobia and needs treatment just shut off the computer/game console and push him out the front door ;)

He probably went outside, realized he was in China, and went back inside.

If I lived somewhere that terrible, I probably wouldn't go outside either.

If I didn't have family (sisters, parents, nieces and nephews) who need to see me periodically and a regular job to pay for my apartment, I probably wouldn't leave home either.

The outside world sucks. People are mean and selfish, and don't generally care if they get in the way of other people. Oh, sure, they say "I'm sorry about that." and "I'm sorry, I didn't see you there." but they do things that show a complete disregard for others constantly. That's about 80-90% of the population. I stay in as much as I can. I can sympathize with this guy.

Or maybe he's borderline poor and GotNoRice to eat. You should hop on a plane and show him a whole new world. :p

Where did he get money to live for 6 years? As he quite his job and bought a pc in 2007. So he had enough money in a bank account to live good for 6 years? I guess he could order carry out every day but that would have to get old after 6 years. Would really like to know about that deal.

But if he paid all his bills and was in good health, then so be it. World has went to crap to begin with. He really wasn't missing anything to begin with. Perhaps he thought if he wait a while the world would be a better place......

If you've checked out the poorer parts of major Chinese cities, they seriously suck ass. I could be pretty happy chilling in my house for six years IMO.

As long as I have phone, messenger, email, internet, plenty of games and video, and my cats and friends coming over on occasion, I'd be happy enough to toss the keys to my car and grow roots! :D

Or maybe he's borderline poor and GotNoRice to eat. You should hop on a plane and show him a whole new world. :p

I was going to make a joke too but yours was funnier. Heh

GotNoRice, I did chuckle at the china joke.

It also seems that a lot of people in this thread also suffer from Social Anxiety Disorder. Go outside it's fun. Real life can be tough but how else will you learn life's lessons?

lol.... Funny, sad but true.... That is one fucked up place.

Anyways, this case is not that unique if I had to guess. Some people are like that these days. He will probably end up dead. That is pretty unhealthy for your body over long periods of time.

Put a "Edit" button back in here. I meant quit his job. Someone send him a windows 7 or windows 8 os. He will flip out, since he had either XP or Vista in 2007.

Where did he get money to live for 6 years? As he quite his job and bought a pc in 2007. So he had enough money in a bank account to live good for 6 years? I guess he could order carry out every day but that would have to get old after 6 years. Would really like to know about that deal.
When I lived in Singapore, we had a poor guy actually go shopping for us and our neighbors. We'd give him a shopping list, he'd get all the stuff MUCH cheaper than any well dressed white person could shop in the market, and tell us how much it was, and he got a 30% commission on the total. He knew not to lie, because if he weren't saving anyone money he'd likely lose all the accounts in the whole 16 story building.

I already buy most of my crap from online vendors like Amazon too.

And with regard to work, there are plenty of work-at-home job opportunities available, and someone that is always living at home should have very low expenses in general (think of the money saved on a car, gas, insurance, alone).

Even for sex, when fapping is too boring, he could get himself a prostitute easily over the phone once a week or so.

Maybe he got better at the game(s). 10,000 hour rule.

There are plenty of shut-ins, for various reasons. Add in "gamer" and watch it become news. :p

He will probably end up dead. That is pretty unhealthy for your body over long periods of time.
No its not, with proper air filters, you can have a much more controlled environment with better air quality than outside.

You can install a home gym, or even just do exercises that use your own body weight for exercise (P90X uses very little equipment and will kick your ass).

You're not exposed to much UV or insects/pathogens, reducing risk of skin cancer and contageious disease and the like.

If you want, someone living in their house could way outlive everyone around them.

I'm confused as to why staying home is considered a social taboo.

Because that type of seclusion typically meant no interaction with the outside world, and would be considered a serious mental illness.

These days though, heck I'm instant messaging my work buddies on Lync even though they are about four feet away.

Staying inside no longer means that you're cut-off from the group.

the issue is not games but an under laying mental illness

No its not, with proper air filters, you can have a much more controlled environment with better air quality than outside.

You can install a home gym, or even just do exercises that use your own body weight for exercise (P90X uses very little equipment and will kick your ass).

You're not exposed to much UV or insects/pathogens, reducing risk of skin cancer and contageious disease and the like.

If you want, someone living in their house could way outlive everyone around them.

You'll end up crushed under a pile of empty pizza boxes.

When the article says he "hasn't left home" in 6 years what exactly does that mean? As he literally not stepped outside (his room and/or his house) AT ALL in those 6 years?

Because that type of seclusion typically meant no interaction with the outside world, and would be considered a serious mental illness.

The way the world is today I would think that wanting to interact with it would be the mental illness - not the other way around, especially if you're living in Communist China.

Humans are a naturally social animal and when one of them gets cut off from the rest, they tend to develop odd behavior in an effort to cope with the seclusion. When attempting to reintegrate these people they have difficulty readapting to society or reject completely falling deeper into seclusion. It's a very well documented part of humanity and Hollywood has also copied it many times over in many different movies.

Personally, life has beaten the shit out of me so much lately that I wish I had the option to not go out into society. Like has been said earlier in the thread, I find most people to be self absorbed, self centered assholes that would rather watch you burn then help you out.

Sounds like some people in this thread have worked retail at one point. :-P

His life..who cares. If the Dad is supporting him financially, then he needs to cut him off. The problem will resolve itself once he runs out of the ability to pay for certain things.

Sounds like some people in this thread have worked retail at one point. :-P

I worked retail for 4 years when I was young and I don't hate people. I'm content knowing that 25-35% of people are actually good.

I find most people to be self absorbed, self centered assholes that would rather watch you burn then help you out.

I feel you but staying home is a bad choice. I would recommend going some place deserted, even wild. Nature is a great place to be social... in a way :D

I feel you but staying home is a bad choice. I would recommend going some place deserted, even wild. Nature is a great place to be social... in a way :D

Blah, ive lived in the wilderness, not even remotely interested in doing it again...I like my climate controlled house, and electricity, and media....but 99% of the population I can do without interacting with.

I seriously doubt that this is what this individual was doing. Also, sealing yourself inside for the better part of a decade will affect your mental health even if you can avoid the physical effects.

Wow, it really saddens me to hear from people who feel most people are "bad". I've never met someone I felt that way about. Maybe I just grew up in a really nice/friendly place (Detroit) or I don't judge people based on a superficial first impression (not saying you do, of course!) or I just see all these people as giant babies in need of some comfort or maybe a little burp to spit up the "yuckies"... we were all babies at one point anyways, and that purity never completely goes away. It just gets buried a bit.

Again, I'm not saying those who disagree are wrong, it's just sad to imagine how you must feel.

:(

Oh, and I've suffered from social anxiety too, but it's not from some outwardly reason like fear of "baddies"... it's because I just don't have a ton of self respect and confidence. I'm working on that. I hope that anyone who also struggled with this can work on it. It CAN get better with persistence, and a helping hand from a friend never hurts either... actually that's one of the best ways to get better: REACH OUT FOR HELP! There's no shame in it, folks.

Back