7 Health Benefits Of Playing Video Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
Here's a little more ammunition for the next time you run into that one "video games are evil" person you know.

• Video games are therapeutic for children with chronic illnesses
  • Video games improve preschoolers' motor skill
  • Video games reduce stress and depression
  • Video games provide pain relief
  • Video games can improve your vision
  • Video games improve your decision-making skills
  • Video games keep you happy in old age

I think as humans we thrive when exposed to different stimuli hence why we get bored fairly quickly. Video games is one of many experiences that feeds our risk/reward animal brain.

"Video games can improve your vision"

Can someone tell me how? I would have 20/20 vision with the amount of games I play.

I think that one is complete fabrication, they ruin your eyes more than anything else.

If video games ruin your eyes, I should have been blind by the time I was 16 or maybe even earlier.

Sure I wear glasses, but that is solely because of astigmatism. I don't need to be drunk to see doubles. Just certain poor lighting conditions.

I think the negatives of sitting around for hours on end is more prevalent than the health benefits you've stated here.

"Video games can improve your vision"

Can someone tell me how? I would have 20/20 vision with the amount of games I play.

How about reading the article ??? that should be a good start !!!

5. Video games can improve your vision
Mom may have warned you that sitting in front of the TV wasn't good for your eyes. But one developmental psychologist found it could actually be beneficial to your vision. Dr. Daphen Maurer of the Visual Development Lab of Ontario's McMaster University made a surprising discovery: People suffering from cataracts can improve their vision by playing first-person shooter games like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty. She believes these games are so fast-paced that they require an extreme amount of attention, training the visually impaired to view things more sharply. They can also produce higher levels of dopamine and adrenaline that "potentially may make the brain more plastic," she said.

bullshit.

they make me want to go shootup a school.

must......resist......

Good thing this isn't Facebook or they would already be sending your info to the relevant authority :p

And to the NSA computers monitoring our every written communicate ... GET HIM :D

How about reading the article ??? that should be a good start !!!

5. Video games can improve your vision
Mom may have warned you that sitting in front of the TV wasn't good for your eyes. But one developmental psychologist found it could actually be beneficial to your vision. Dr. Daphen Maurer of the Visual Development Lab of Ontario's McMaster University made a surprising discovery: People suffering from cataracts can improve their vision by playing first-person shooter games like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty. She believes these games are so fast-paced that they require an extreme amount of attention, training the visually impaired to view things more sharply. They can also produce higher levels of dopamine and adrenaline that "potentially may make the brain more plastic," she said.

While I do agree/know that video games can improve your vision, this sounds like crap science. Cataracts is a horrible choice of visual impairment to use in such a study.

I think that one is complete fabrication, they ruin your eyes more than anything else.
I believe this is an attribute of FPS gaming, not all gaming.
My vision, especially in regards to picking up small things is abnormally better than those around me. Though I was born with excellent eyesight.

The concept of video games ruining eyesight is akin to similar old saying like doing things in the dark is bad for your vision. (not true)

Here's a little more ammunition for the next time you run into that one "video games are evil" person you know.

• Video games are therapeutic for children with chronic illnesses
  • Video games improve preschoolers' motor skill
  • Video games reduce stress and depression
  • Video games provide pain relief
  • Video games can improve your vision
  • Video games improve your decision-making skills
  • Video games keep you happy in old age
So cliffs notes: video games and masturbation are virtually the same thing.... well, OK minus the preschoolers motor skills.

How can you motorboat while MBing? Yours must be HUGE to do that to yourself while doing that.

I think as humans we thrive when exposed to different stimuli hence why we get bored fairly quickly. Video games is one of many experiences that feeds our risk/reward animal brain.

And back in the day games were designed to be hard in order to make money.

My grandma used to say that to me 30 years ago, along with other scientifically false things like "don't go outside without a coat or you will catch a cold!". :D

I don't think it means that video games will cure your nearsightedness, but that it can help train your eyes to spot, recognize and focus on things much faster. Makes sense I guess.

#8 Joint injuries that often come about as a result of doing athletic activities (e.g. knee injuries) that bring about pain later in life will not be an issue :D

Back