Same Day Delivery Not A Priority For Online Shoppers

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like lower prices and free delivery are more important to online shoppers than same-day shipping. Umm, I'm not sure they needed a study to find that out, it seems pretty obvious to most of us.

The Boston Consulting Group recently asked 1,500 U.S. consumers what would get them to shop more online and only 9 percent cited same-day delivery. Almost three quarters said free delivery would do the trick, while half of the respondents said lower prices. The consumers said they would pay $7.50, on average, to get a $50 online purchase delivered on the same day, the survey found. That is lower than the fees charged by most retailers and e-commerce companies now providing these services, the consulting firm noted.

Last edited:
It depends on what it is. If I nuke a motherboard, which I did recently, I want same day delivery. Otherwise, my next day Prime is fine.

When delivery costs more then the product your ordering, then yea nobody will buy it. Even then, shopping online you're trying to get the best deals, and next delivery defeats that. If I wanted it today, I'd go to the store.

Same day isn't a big priority, 2-day is fine. What annoys me is when it takes a week to ship an "in-stock" item from the warehouse, and then they inevitably catch another weekend during the transit stage so I end up waiting 10+ days for something I ordered that was supposedly "in-stock".

Ordered the 27th:
United States 02/28/2013 11:23 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS
... ... ... ... ...
Hodgkins, IL, United States 03/04/2013 7:35 P.M. Origin Scan

Same day isn't a big priority, 2-day is fine. What annoys me is when it takes a week to ship an "in-stock" item from the warehouse, and then they inevitably catch another weekend during the transit stage so I end up waiting 10+ days for something I ordered that was supposedly "in-stock".

Ordered the 27th:
United States 02/28/2013 11:23 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS
... ... ... ... ...
Hodgkins, IL, United States 03/04/2013 7:35 P.M. Origin Scan
When did two business days start equaling a week?

If I can save money with free shipping I don't care if it shows up in five days, Amazon is still great even if they now hit me with sales tax.

Local Best Buy 1TB HDD = $100
Newegg 1.5TB HDD = $75

Why would anyone shop local? If I need it the next day and the shipping cost doesn't put it over the local price I would still order online.

When did two business days start equaling a week?

27, 28, 1, (2 weekend), (3 weekend), 4 (7:35pm, after end of business).
How do you not get in-stock product to the shipper before the weekend for an order placed wednesday?

My wife misses all the deliveries. Doesn't matter what day it is, I do a 20 mile trip to the collection depot anyway.

As much as same day delivery would be nice, I know it's practically physically impossible for something to travel 2000+ miles in a day without it being really expensive. So I rather lower cost shipping and wait a week or two for normal ground shipping.

NEXT DAY or more please! I don't want Amazon moving a warehouse into my state at the beginning of next year!

I don't buy enough from Amazon to justify paying for prime, so I just go with thier Free Super Saver shipping (or as I call it - We'll eventually ship it when we have nothing else to do). I've had orders sit for 4-5 days before they shipping got around to shipping them, and then only take 2 days to arrive.

If I order something before noon local time of the online retailer then I expect it to ship that day and count as 1 shipping day. If i isn't here in the shipping time that I pay for then I call the retailer, lodge a complaint, & explain that I will refuse the package & buy the product or products elsewhere if the shipping charge isn't adjusted accordingly.

If I need it next day, I'll probably buy local because the cost of shipping would probably push it to that cost. But building a little project where there is no immediate rush, whatever give me the super saver catapult shipping rates.

However if I order over the weekend that shit better be shipped first thing monday morning!

What I hate most is when they use the bastardized shipping method, when the shipping company hands the package off to USPS (they all do it now), turning what was in essence a 1-3 day delivery into at least a week.

My first experience with this mess was UPS Innovations (which was anything but innovative). My package (which I REALLY needed ASAP) made it most of the way here in about a day or so, then UPS handed it off to USPS, in my state, about 150 miles from me. And there it sat there for 2 f'n weeks! I called UPS...we gave it to USPS, call them. I called USPS (almost impossible to get a human)...we don't have a record of it, call UPS. UPS tracking number meant nothing to them, and there was no cross reference to identify the package. And so it went, 'round and 'round, with neither wanting anything to do with their "innovative" mess of a service, until it miraculously showed up. :mad:

I like free delivery, and I don't mind if it takes a few days.

But then you have "free shipping" like Amazon's "super saver shipping" where it's not so much the shipping that is the issue, but that they will sometimes wait weeks to actually ship it. I bought my first GTX680 using super saver shipping and it took almost 2 weeks to arrive - that sucked and there is no excuse for that unless I am ordering from Antarctica.

Here in Germany standard delivery is usually 1-2 days, 3 at max, and I'm fine with waiting a day or two for anything that's low priority enough that I order it online.

Amazon 2-day shipping is great. What matters to me is that if I place the order very early that morning (say before 8AM) and it in-stock, I expect it to ship out that day.

Some vendors don't ship out for two days, and then it ends up coming the next Monday adding the weekend to the mix, that's when I get annoyed.

What I hardly ever tolerate though is Hong Kong shipping, they often have great prices, but when it takes a month to get your product its a royal PITA.

I look for free-shipping from Amazon and elsewhere. An example is a pair of $27 ink cartridges, which qualified for free shipping. Most inexpensive shipping method: an additional $5.19. Also, our last free-shipping order told us to expect a wait of 5-8 business days for free shipping. We got the order in 3 business days, instead. From Newegg, I ordered a free-shipping 27" monitor that also arrived in three days.

Looking at the tracking (provided for free along with the free shipping by both companies), I'd say that how long it takes for free shipping may depend on where the item ships from, and of course how long it takes the company to "process" your order and actually ship the product and send you the "We have shipped your stuff" email.

The "overnight" shipping, though, looks like a scam to me, as it is prohibitively expensive and may very well amount to more than the cost of the items ordered. I have wondered how many people order "overnight" on a Friday and receive their orders on Monday, or how many people order their item on Monday, expecting a Tuesday delivery, only to find that it takes the company three days in "processing" or more to actually ship the so-called "in stock" item! Haste makes waste, as they say.

I'm happy with budget shipping most of the time. However any faster shipping should include weekend delivery/shipping.

Order Friday with 2-3 day should be Sunday or Monday latest not Tuesday or Wednesday. Or mid week order on Saturday.

Also morning delivery would be ideal. UPS sorting facility like 3 miles outside of my 3k population town and I always get mine 6pm or later. Even with trucks driving within view of my house at like noon..

Make mine a Super Saver please :)

I'm going to play SimCity on Monday it seems.

I came this |-| close to getting Prime once, but I'm too much of a cheapstake to care about stuff like this.

I've been extremely happy with Amazon's Prime, it keeps me coming back to Amazon more than I would normally.

Hell, USPS Priority isn't bad either. 3 days for a package to go across the country? I'll take it. :)

At the end of the day a box either goes on a truck or a plane. I rarely want to pay for a plane so that means I want a close retailer (west coast best coast, anything from California is is 3 day Max via ground, anything north of Sacramento is usually 2), the second is I want a retailer that can ship quickly, spending 2+ days to get an order out is ridiculous. This is one of the things that always brings me back to Amazon despite paying sales tax, both close locations and the fact I can order something on a sunday and more than once I've seen them hand it off to ontrac that night to be delivered the next day on a Monday. To me that's just incredible.

Tldr, as long a merchant doesn't take forever to ship and I have a good idea where its shipping from I don't really care.

Here in Germany standard delivery is usually 1-2 days, 3 at max, and I'm fine with waiting a day or two for anything that's low priority enough that I order it online.
Considering the size of Germany, I would sure hope so. Try ordering something from Portugal or Turkey and see how long it takes to get there and then you will have an idea of what the people in the US have to deal with (minus the customs).

I love Amazon Prime for shipping. I pay nothing for 2 day delivery (other then the annual fee) and $3.99 for next day. There have been a couple times I've gotten same day delivery from them for the same $3.99 and it rocks. I wouldn't use it all the time, but for $3.99 I'd use it often. Regular overnight shipping charges are stupid expensive, so I rarely use it anywhere but Amazon. I make at least a couple dozen purchases a year, so it averages out for me.

Local Best Buy 1TB HDD = $100
Newegg 1.5TB HDD = $75

Why would anyone shop local? If I need it the next day and the shipping cost doesn't put it over the local price I would still order online.

Because Best Buy price matches Amazon. So if they have want you want no reason to wait on shipping.

Because Best Buy price matches Amazon. So if they have want you want no reason to wait on shipping.

Not having to deal with Best Buy is reason enough for me. It'll also take quite a while before people are convinced they are genuinely price matching now. We've been down this road a few times.

Not having to deal with Best Buy is reason enough for me. It'll also take quite a while before people are convinced they are genuinely price matching now. We've been down this road a few times.

We have? They price matched for me no questions asked twice now. All they do is have the CS/Geek tards confirm the price on amazon and bam amazon pricing 5 minutes from my house.

We have? They price matched for me no questions asked twice now. All they do is have the CS/Geek tards confirm the price on amazon and bam amazon pricing 5 minutes from my house.

Best Buy has had price matching policies for a long time (though specifically stating Amazon is new) and have shown a historical tendency to completely ignore them for BS reasons as they see fit. It is certainly possible that something has changed but it would represent a complete culture change at a company that doesn't seem interested in adapting. I'd love to be proven wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

Best Buy has had price matching policies for a long time (though specifically stating Amazon is new) and have shown a historical tendency to completely ignore them for BS reasons as they see fit. It is certainly possible that something has changed but it would represent a complete culture change at a company that doesn't seem interested in adapting. I'd love to be proven wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

Even back when i worked there in 2003 or 04 we price matched all the local joints. There where exceptions like open items and clearance items. Basically if it was a normal sale we would match it. I do recall people coming in trying to get us to price match super clearance prices because the place with the sale was OOS and we denied them.

Best buy is adapting, slowly but there are changes being made. You're seeing higher quality stuff for PCs (my local BB even carries EVGA 660Tis), they are expanding the online store with a marketplace similar to amazon and newegg now, carrying much better home theater stuff (when i worked there yamaha was basically the best available).

They still have the main issues which cause most of the problems though. Training is shit, go around the store and ask about price matching and you will end up with 10 different answers.

And then there is geek squad... :mad:

Overnight is a joke. I've paid for "next day" aka "overnight" I think twice in my life and both times it took THREE OR FIVE DAYS!!! I could have gotten it just as quick with normal shipping...

UPS Ground is fine with me. I'll accept FedEX, and I wish DHL was still active here in the USA...

And for items I dont really *need* that I'm looking for the best price on? Yep, I'll order from HK (as long as it's not something major --- no laptops for instance). I prefer to keep my business in the USA (as long as it's not more than $1-$2), but sometimes you just cant beat the prices of the Chinese...

And yeah... BB used to be a joke, the one here was overpriced and the salesperson told me that iPads were running Android OS and the Xbox360 connected to the PSN.... granted they've gotten better in both respects the last time I was in there (at least when they didnt know they told me "go to one of the demo laptops and google the S/N of the laptop to get the specs" but I'd still rather wait than deal with them if I have a choice...

Overnight is a joke. I've paid for "next day" aka "overnight" I think twice in my life and both times it took THREE OR FIVE DAYS!!! I could have gotten it just as quick with normal shipping...

About the only place I'll order something for overnight delivery is Amazon and only if it's showing in stock. First of all, most overnight delivery prices are way too high and like you say above, most places take too much time to "process" the order. Amazon has only failed me once in this regard, where they showed something in stock that they later cancelled my order. Usually if I order something from Amazon, it ships that day and is here either the same day, next day or two days later at the most. That's why I love Prime!

Best Buy is the absolute last resort for me. If I have to have something local I'll drive an hour to Fry's, if I can't find it at Office Depot, Office Max or HH Gregg. The only time I like to buy things from Best Buy is when I know the item is on sale and is most likely a loss leader. I still remember the CEO a few years back calling us "devil customers" for buying things they offered on sale and not staying to buy other overpriced shit or their crap warranties. Gives me a good feeling every time I buy something from them that's on sale because of that :)

I don't buy enough from Amazon to justify paying for prime, so I just go with thier Free Super Saver shipping (or as I call it - We'll eventually ship it when we have nothing else to do). I've had orders sit for 4-5 days before they shipping got around to shipping them, and then only take 2 days to arrive.
+1. However, if they list the item in stock, and it doesn't ship within three days, I cancel the order and get it elsewhere, and I give 'delay in shipping' as the reason for cancellation. If you're a merchant, and want to keep your customers, you ship a paid for item IMMEDIATELY. That's just good business. Amazon started delaying shipping their products a while back, trying to entice people into paying for their prime service. Lots of people must have been doing what I did, cancelling orders when the item is in stock but they simply delay shipping it. Now they're back to shipping even super saver deliveries within a day of ordering. Just good business practice, and they get more business that way.

Back