AMD and Crystal Dynamics Collaborate on Tomb Raider

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced a collaboration with Crystal Dynamics™ following the launch of “Tomb Raider,” one of the most highly anticipated PC games of 2013, and part of the AMD Gaming Evolved program. AMD and Crystal Dynamics worked together extensively on the development of “Tomb Raider,” most notably with TressFX Hair, the world’s first in-game implementation of a real-time, per-strand hair physics system. This leading-edge technology imparts one of the most iconic video game characters, Lara Croft, with an astonishingly lifelike appearance. With AMD Radeon™ graphics, gamers can unleash the full potential of this next-generation technology.

Whoopdee freakin do. Let me know when I can reach through the screen and play with them boobies!

Very cool stuff. Hopefully we see this in more games for both AMD and Nvidia cards. Im all for anything that augments the PC gaming experience though I prefer for the tech not be locked down to any one brand. :)

Nvidia is behind the curve on this one as the game crashes with Tessellation enabled with latest drivers. Both CTDs and system crashes which is kind of nasty. Don't know what those boys over at Nvidia's driver department are doing besides playing pocket pool.

I've played the game for about an hour and a half. They need to give the hair some mass because it flows around like a piece of paper.

Nvidia is behind the curve on this one as the game crashes with Tessellation enabled with latest drivers. Both CTDs and system crashes which is kind of nasty. Don't know what those boys over at Nvidia's driver department are doing besides playing pocket pool.

Giant Bomb did a live quicklook of the game today running on a 670, near the end of the PC run before switching the console the whole game went batshit crazy with all kinds of texture corruption and tessellation issues. Nvidia really needs to work with Crystal D and Nixxes to get that stuff sorted.

Im all for anything that augments the PC gaming experience though I prefer for the tech not be locked down to any one brand. :)

What makes you think this is locked down to AMD? I don't think AMD has any feature that is locked down.

Not sure what your problem is, but no problems here with GTX680 and everything maxed including Tesselation enabled

Awesome game, liking it more than I thought I would. The TressFX is meh, didn't really add anything visually.

Not sure what your problem is, but no problems here with GTX680 and everything maxed including Tesselation enabled

What drivers are you using? I'm talking about with latest 314.07 and Beta 314.14.

For the first few hours I played on 314.07, then noticed there was an update so I've been on 314.14 since.

Well I've read a lot of forums and you are the first one who has reported no crashes with Tessellation enabled with latest drivers.

amd feature game runs poorly on nvidia's card = nvidia's fault. TWIMTBP game runs poorly on amd card = nvidia's fault. man they just can't catch a break.

amd feature game runs poorly on nvidia's card = nvidia's fault. TWIMTBP game runs poorly on amd card = nvidia's fault. man they just can't catch a break.

well in the case of crap TressFX performance it is nvidias fault :p

TressFX its a good example of why AMD elected to not amputate the gpgpu properties of their cards. Curious to see what else is planned...

Back