FCC to Investigate Cell Phone Unlocking Ban

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The FCC has heard the outcry from the cell phone faction and is investigating whether or not the ban on unlocking cell phones disrupts competition among carriers. The FCC is wading into uncharted waters here testing the parameters of the Agency’s authority to change the ban law.

If the FCC does discover some latent authority to give users more freedom over their choice in carriers, it will mean another big victory for grassroots Internet activism.

Maybe we'll simply see a change from carriers giving out expensive phones as incentives to come to them... nah they'll just make sure we can't use our property the way we want.

Just hope other businesses don't adopt this model. Buy a Ford and you have to get gas at shell stations. Buy a Sony TV and you have to get Comcast cable. Buy Geico insurance and you have to use Firestone to get tune ups. etc etc etc It's the pinnacle of bullshit.

I see another FCC commissioner getting a cushy position in VZW/ATT shortly. Just like the one that sold out to comcast. Yay crony capitalism!

I see another FCC commissioner getting a cushy position in VZW/ATT shortly. Just like the one that sold out to comcast. Yay crony capitalism!

Logically, that would be highly illegal. Unfortunately our government loves the revolving door. Conflict of interest win!

Logically, that would be highly illegal. Unfortunately our government loves the revolving door. Conflict of interest win!

It has to be said, I don't know about everyone else, but this Government does NOT represent me, and if doesn't represent ME who does it represent.

*by me I mean the people.

Okay, maybe I'm hallucinating. But wasn't this supposed to ONLY apply to phones bought at a discount on a contract? Basically to stop some jackass from getting some $400 phone and then promptly taking it to another carrier and ditching service while dead-beating the company for the remaining cost of the phone.

If you already own a phone outright, rather than spreading the payment across your 2 year contract, you should still be able to take the phone wherever the hell you want.

Okay, maybe I'm hallucinating. But wasn't this supposed to ONLY apply to phones bought at a discount on a contract? Basically to stop some jackass from getting some $400 phone and then promptly taking it to another carrier and ditching service while dead-beating the company for the remaining cost of the phone.

If you already own a phone outright, rather than spreading the payment across your 2 year contract, you should still be able to take the phone wherever the hell you want.

People have been doing that for years. Thats why the big companies have both activation and early disconnect fees. The fees are designed so that if 1 person does not pay they still get their money from everyone else. It's a mess, thats for sure. I wish our system worked like it does in Europe, you buy the device and then can put it on whoever you want.

In fact thats why I got my hands on an HTC DNA. It came factory unlocked from Verizon (wth?) so I can take it with me if I ever get tired of Big Red.

It is pretty sad that cell phones in the US are worse off than 3rd world countries.

Back