Apple's Motion For Reduced Damages Against VirnetX Denied

HardOCP News

[H] News
I was going to make a joke about Apple having to pay up but, let's be honest, $368 million isn't going to bankrupt them.

VirnetX Holding Corp, an internet security software company, said a district court has upheld a previous patent infringement ruling against Apple Inc and denied the iPhone maker's motion to reduce the $368 million in damages.

Jesus, they have billions stacked away offshores and they're bitching about the amount they have to pay? Also doing my research Apple tried to downplay at first how bad the patent infringement was and how much money they were willing to pay. It seems to be that this isn't a patent troll case and there is a legitimate issue here.

Anyone that files a patent case in East Texas is automatically a patent troll. I have never heard of VirnetX although there is no software for sale on their website and I can find no evidence that they actually make any software whatsoever other than claims of some "SDK" that is perpetually coming soon. Rather, it appears that VirnetX is simply another extortion operation run by an "Imaginary Property" shyster. Granted, it couldn't have happened to a nicer company than Apple (*cough*) but they are still a danger to everyone else.

From the patents, what they laughably refer to as an "invention" is really IPSEC and VPN. They even had the audacity to incorporate, by name, stuff from FreeSWAN into their "patents".

Anyone that files a patent case in East Texas is automatically a patent troll. I have never heard of VirnetX although there is no software for sale on their website and I can find no evidence that they actually make any software whatsoever other than claims of some "SDK" that is perpetually coming soon. Rather, it appears that VirnetX is simply another extortion operation run by an "Imaginary Property" shyster. Granted, it couldn't have happened to a nicer company than Apple (*cough*) but they are still a danger to everyone else.

From the patents, what they laughably refer to as an "invention" is really IPSEC and VPN. They even had the audacity to incorporate, by name, stuff from FreeSWAN into their "patents".

Yep, you're right. I looked at the 10Q filing for this company and all they're doing is talking about the patents that they own specifically in the 4G/LTE networks. Now I'm mixed up on this.

Yup saw east texas in the article and just thought patent troll.

You know, East Texas isn't just all sticks. There are a few legitimate sizes cities out there. Tyler, Longview and Lufkin come to mind off hand. I know they are no Houston or Dallas, but they are just large enough to have legitimate businesses.

Back