The Emotional Price of Making Video Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
GameSpot sat down with a handful of video game industry veterans and talked about the emotional price of making video games. I'm sure police officers, firemen, school teachers and others might roll their eyes a bit but the article is interesting none-the-less. ;)

"It's exciting and energizing, but it's almost a reality-show-type environment," Hawley explains. "You're stuck in a room with a bunch of like-minded individuals, 20- to 30-something dudes. It's just not healthy. It definitely develops these Lord of the Flies-type situations. You've spent so long together that you develop a group craziness. You witness the very pinnacle of sleep-deprived in-jokes, and songs that are unique to the group.

So the emotional price of making video games equals dudes turning into frat boy bros? Devastation!!!

I want to know about the emotional price of watching your "baby" get critiqued back into the stone age :D

You're stuck in a room with a bunch of like-minded individuals, 20- to 30-something dudes. It's just not healthy

yeah. sausage fests are not healthy

This really isn't something that happens just in the world of game developers working long hours. Enter any shop with people working long hours and you'll see the same thing.

After reading the lord of the flies bit, I couldn't stop thinking about the fat one that got squashed. Made me chuckle.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Working 70 hour weeks sucks? Try working 100+ hour weeks like I was. It's your fault for not leaving and finding different work. Your plans don't always work out the way you thought they wold and putting in 70 hours a week isn't going to change that. Time to do something else.

a. lot.of. the dudes i work with at epic are bisexual and this does not happen.

As an owner of a business, I can sympathize. With that being said, there are many jobs and businesses that one has to "put themselves out there". Not everyone can make video games. Not everyone can work on vehicles and deal with angry people (very few people are in a good mood that their vehicle is in the shop). There are many jobs that it takes a special something to get it done. That is what makes different people qualified for different jobs.

At this point in the time-space continuum, i don't know why anyone would choose to work in a gaming company? Reading some of these stories, even working at Foxconn sounds better.

At this point in the time-space continuum, i don't know why anyone would choose to work in a gaming company? Reading some of these stories, even working at Foxconn sounds better.

This is why a lot of experienced devs have started their own indies or joined small contract studios.

Steve said:
GameSpot sat down with a handful of video game industry veterans and talked about the emotional price of making video games. I'm sure police officers, firemen, school teachers and others might roll their eyes a bit but the article is interesting none-the-less.

Quote:

"It's exciting and energizing, but it's almost a reality-show-type environment," Hawley explains. "You're stuck in a room with a bunch of like-minded individuals, 20- to 30-something dudes. It's just not healthy. It definitely develops these Lord of the Flies-type situations. You've spent so long together that you develop a group craziness. You witness the very pinnacle of sleep-deprived in-jokes, and songs that are unique to the group.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

You know what would be awesome for an app? Just shutting the fuck up in every post about which app just posted it.

posted from taptalk on my superfly 6G phone that you can't even get beyotch!

I want to know about the emotional price of watching your "baby" get critiqued back into the stone age :D

It's like this: you spend 90 hours a week for seven months making this game, sacrificing all other aspects of your life, permanently damaging any relationships you have, and taking big hits to your mental and phsyical health. When it goes gold, you watch as everyone in a suit celebrates with massive bonuses, while you get shown the door without so much as a "thank you". When you get home, jobless and completely lost in life, you do nothing until the game launches, only to watch a bazillion children from the internet take an infinitely large and virulent shit on your game because of a completely insignificant feature that was either left out or runs aground of their ever-fickle demands. If that doesn't make you want to put a bullet through your brain, nothing will.

Back