Anonymous Latest Victim Of Twitter Hack

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you thought the Burger King / Jeep Twitter hacks were funny, wait until you see this one. Ouch. :D

Little-known group Rustle League said it had hacked the @Anon_Central account which has 160,000 followers. It follows some high-profile Twitter hacks in recent days - including accounts for Burger King, Jeep and BBC Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson.

Why isn't it? I can understand if you don't think DDOSing is a hack but getting pass a password is hacking, isn't it?

If you guess your mothers email password that makes you a hacker?
What anonymous did last 2 year ago to stratfor/sony/hbgary is called hacking not guessing a simple password to a useless service.

Since when is guessing a password considered a hack?

Answer: Since the word "hack" was invented.

"Hacking" was what they called it when someone kept hacking away, trying out (guessing) different codes, until it worked.

Answer: Since the word "hack" was invented.

"Hacking" was what they called it when someone kept hacking away, trying out (guessing) different codes, until it worked.

I thought hacking was the use of different devices to accomplish a task they weren't intended for, and that translated into programming. Getting past security is 'Cracking'. Hijacking the city computers to control traffic lights is hacking.

In that sense, DDOS is a hack, and guessing a password is a crack.

I thought hacking was the use of different devices to accomplish a task they weren't intended for, and that translated into programming. Getting past security is 'Cracking'. Hijacking the city computers to control traffic lights is hacking.

In that sense, DDOS is a hack, and guessing a password is a crack.

There were none of those things when the word "hacking" started to be used, around the 1980s. When it first started to get used, it was about guessing the password.

Only if you were limited to what you see in movies back then.

The term was actually around even before computers. Early examples of electronic hacking involved overriding the telephone service to get free long distance calls, not password guessing. Computers presented a continuation of that by presenting curious people with a new medium and the different ways they can use and exploit it.

I just looked it up. Interesting. The first hackers, before the phone hackers, were programmers that can push a computer system past its limits. Which considering the technology of the time, probably *were* improvising by mashing together physical components.

But, this still isn't Anonymous being hacked, but Twitter (and the password)....

Absolutely hilarious. Anon is making itself look even more irrelevant then ever. They can't even secure their own crap.

No...the correct terminology for cracking a password is called "cracking".

No, it's hacking in this case. Hacking is breaking into a computer and gaining otherwise restricted access. Cracking is defeating a program's copy protection. You hack computers, you crack programs.

There were none of those things when the word "hacking" started to be used, around the 1980s. When it first started to get used, it was about guessing the password.

Guess I hacked a Macy's and a Jack in the Box when I was younger; their doors to employee only areas were opened with simply "12345".

No...the correct terminology for cracking a password is called "cracking".

I should know what "hacking" means, because I invented it (probably) in the late 70s early 80s. You lot just copied me.:p

Guess I hacked a Macy's and a Jack in the Box when I was younger; their doors to employee only areas were opened with simply "12345".

That would be correct, if you worked it out by hacking away at different numbers (even if you did some of the working out in you mind).;)

Back