Microsoft Raises Price of Office for Mac By 17%

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't see the problem here, all this means to Mac owners is that Office for Mac is now 17% better than regular Office. Duh.

The single-license Office for Mac Home & Student now costs $140, an increase of about 17 percent from the previous price of $120. Meanwhile, Microsoft raised the price of Office for Mac Home & Business, which includes Outlook, to $220, a 10 percent price hike over the previous $200 price.

And here I thought they might just finally be realizing they could charge the 'ol crApple price premium because the blind sheep would pay it. Office software shouldn't be a service, your word processor shouldn't change that much. Any updates should just be security updates. Why change the status quo? Maybe M$ thought their profit margins were too small.

Does it play shitty U2 music every time you start it? Because that's what owning a Mac is all about.

Awesome - the iSheep are programed to pay more for less. Good to see Microsoft finally catching on..

Guess what MS already increased a lot of their pricing as of december 1 2012 by 15%

To not have to run it in a VM or Parallels? I don't see that as a loss.

The program itself is a loss. Mac Office will never be as good as the Windows version (for obvious reasons). LibreOffice is free and is probably as close to Office as you're going to get compared to the Mac version.

Mac Office is closer to Libre or Open Office than Windows Office. You're better off just using real Office in Parallels, or using a free one.

Microsoft raised the price of Office 2013 for Windows as well (by 17% for Home/Student, 10% for Home & Business and 14% for Pro). In addition they increased the cost of Visio Professional by 17% whilst simultaneously cutting its feature set to that of the old "Standard" version.

Office for Mac is a bit of a cluster (the layers view in PowerPoint is really it's nicety) ... and that's aside from it wanting to be patched (to the tune of what is typically a full install) nearly every time it got launched. I ditched it and have since run Office 2010 (and now 2013) via VMware in Unity mode.

Back