Old Pixilated Doom Screenshot Redone In High Resolution

Had to basically stop watching it.

The flicker was making me ill.

how can i a person use photoshop that fast. feels like everything is fast forwarded.

he needs to do this to quake. now that would be awesome. the two greatest game ever made IMO is doom and quake.

As a designer sometimes I wish these were done in regular speed so I could learn some new techniques =/

Photochop. Heh.

Someone has WAY too much time on their hands.

I sure hope this guy makes a living at this.

very cool. Is this how texture mods are made? i.e. skyrim hd-texture mod.

very cool. Is this how texture mods are made? i.e. skyrim hd-texture mod.

Yeah, except probably even easier to make textures because they're flat for the most part. Here he had to re-create the entire scene and make it look 3D with the proper lighting and everything, whereas with textures the in-game engine does all that for you.

Yeah, except probably even easier to make textures because they're flat for the most part. Here he had to re-create the entire scene and make it look 3D with the proper lighting and everything, whereas with textures the in-game engine does all that for you.

thats what i figured. Still though, there must be a gazillion textures in skyrim!
With all the texture packs/mods and fxaa injector, the game looks amazing!

doesn t seem like a true replication, he removed god mode and left only 1 rocket instead of full ammo.

and that broken wall panel.... llil ocd....

but yeah not bad :D

DooM has a warm fuzzy place in my heart.
I downloaded the demo via 9600 baud modem from the Apogee BBS.

Remember what a big deal "real time 3D graphics" were back then.

If only Doom 3 had looked like this...
I'm not so sure this was any better than Doom 3. I mean Doom 3 has that Melted Wax thing going which seemed like a fundamental flaw, otherwise I'm not seeing a big difference.

how can i a person use photoshop that fast. feels like everything is fast forwarded.

I feel certain this was done with FRAPS or something similar, so yes, it was fast forwarded. If you watch closely, windows and menus are literally there for a split second. A human wouldn't be able to move that quickly through the software and the program wouldn't be able to render that quickly either. Still though, quite impressive. It amazes what people are able to do sometimes. The lighting, the textures etc are very creative.

lol at people thinking that video is done in real time.

I've gone back and tried to play older games like Doom and I guess I forgot that older FPS shooters like that are 85% navigating a maze and 15% shooting stuff.

Even "newer" FPS games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein (~2003?) just feel like the main part of the game is trying to find your way to the end of the maze of hallways.

I've gone back and tried to play older games like Doom and I guess I forgot that older FPS shooters like that are 85% navigating a maze and 15% shooting stuff.

Even "newer" FPS games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein (~2003?) just feel like the main part of the game is trying to find your way to the end of the maze of hallways.

It's amazing how nostalgia can make old games seem so much different than they actually were, huh?

My wife and I played through Doom 1 in Co-op a while ago. Yeah... We have come a long way.

20-30 layers at 9600x7000...damn that is a machine with some RAM and some scratch space.

lol at a lot of loling in this thread.

I find it hilarious that people took TheBuzzer's comment seriously. Even though I read it before I watched the video it came across as sarcasm, lol. ;)

It's amazing how nostalgia can make old games seem so much different than they actually were, huh?

My wife and I played through Doom 1 in Co-op a while ago. Yeah... We have come a long way.

I miss that about old games. They seemed to be a lot more difficult and Doom was certainly difficult, while having a good scare factor and being a ton of fun. They don't make games like that anymore and it's upsetting

I miss that about old games. They seemed to be a lot more difficult and Doom was certainly difficult, while having a good scare factor and being a ton of fun. They don't make games like that anymore and it's upsetting

I miss games like Elite more, to be honest. At least FPS games are still alive and kicking, with games coming out every year.

20-30 layers at 9600x7000...damn that is a machine with some RAM and some scratch space.

Probably not...10k x 15k image open right now with 36 layers, and it's juuust over 4gb ram. :D

The scratch disks seem to depend on the undo steps, so it depends! (for bigger images it's best to keep the number of steps down otherwise the HDDs can slow things down if you don't have SSDs).

In my book RTCW (2001) is the best single player fps experience to date. Great levels, funny voice acting, cool shootings, amazing quake 3 movement. That game has it all.

I just replayed doom 2 this weekend with the brutal doom mod. I didn't get this feeling at all.

In my book RTCW (2001) is the best single player fps experience to date. Great levels, funny voice acting, cool shootings, amazing quake 3 movement. That game has it all.

Truth! I just played through RTCW again late last year, and even though the graphics are dated, it was still fun and challenging, even though i knew how to beat the levels. Regenerative health and cover based shooting was the beginning of the end of fun FPS's, IMHO.

Hell, i still play RTCW:ET as i find it fun, whereas the modern shooters feel very un-fun to me. Meh, i am old, get the hell off of my FPS lawn, yah damn kids! ;):D

Note: i am just old, not Major Domo old, i do not remember beta testing dirt, hehe :D

Back