Intel Confirms TV Plans

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel has finally confirmed its long rumored plans for streaming TV over the internet.

Instead, Intel wants to offer “curated” bundles of TV channels, said Erik Huggers, General Manager of Intel Media, at this week’s Dive Into Media conference. These bundles would be smaller than the packages that cable and satellite providers offer, and would allow for more customization, according to Reuters, but they won’t necessarily be cheaper.

Nice to see some competition. Hopefully, it turns out fairly nice to help push others along.

I'd like to see more than just a NetFlix competitor, but something that can do hardware, software and network stuff (the whole shebang). Anyone can do streaming video. Intel can do streaming video through Intel powered embedded CPU's using Intel NIC's and some special magic Intel sauce.

So less channels for possibly not a cheaper price. Sounds like it will be a winner. :rolleyes:

So less channels for possibly not a cheaper price. Sounds like it will be a winner. :rolleyes:

Ala carte, perhaps. Won't be cheaper as far as 300 channels / $90 monthly fee = per channel cost. But, it may be cheaper in that you get 10 channels you want * $4 per channel = $40 for only 10 channels, but those 10 are the only ones you watched with the $90 service. Who knows... Wait and see, I guess.

Ala carte, perhaps. Won't be cheaper as far as 300 channels / $90 monthly fee = per channel cost. But, it may be cheaper in that you get 10 channels you want * $4 per channel = $40 for only 10 channels, but those 10 are the only ones you watched with the $90 service. Who knows... Wait and see, I guess.
Nope. No a la carte.

It seems that Intel is the only one to pull it off so far, but at a price: while rumors claimed that Intel wanted to offer a la carte programming, where you only pay for the channels you want, that’s no longer the plan. “I don’t believe that the industry is ready for a la carte,” Huggers said.

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2013/02/12...s-wont-exactly-kill-the-bundle/#ixzz2KjQUpTOZ

just as well that Robert Noyce is already dead, cuz such trivia coming out if Intel would have surely killed him anyway

Damn. Thanks for the correction. I've been ready for ala carte. I think they they just can't make it profitable... The industry isn't ready, but the consumers have been for a long time.

I have been very happy with my Fios ... love the Internet and cable ... they just gave me 3.5 months of free Showtime as a customer loyalty reward so gotta love that :D

I wish it was a la carte, I hate paying for 300 channels of GARBAGE and only actually every watching like 5.

Content consumers and the providing companies (cox, direct tv) are more then ready for this. Problem is the content creators themselves (viacom, disney) will never allow it, it will hurt their less watched channels, force them to have to actually work out equitable deals to have their stuff displayed. The reason we don't get what we want is because the content creators have way too much power.

If Intel can fulfill the holy grail of ala carte TV. I'm there. Cox cable can kiss my ass after that while I use their internet to stream Intel ala carte channels in.

Trimlo039607779 said:
Content consumers and the providing companies (cox, direct tv) are more then ready for this. Problem is the content creators themselves (viacom, disney) will never allow it, it will hurt their less watched channels, force them to have to actually work out equitable deals to have their stuff displayed. The reason we don't get what we want is because the content creators have way too much power.

Exactly, the content creators want to bundle a few good channels with crap. Most likely, Intel will be forced to sell packages based on those bundles, ie: Discovery Networks, Viacom, etc...

The biggest draw for this to help us try to get beyond conventional TV. Once you get used to using a DVR to record shows and watch them at your leisure and skip past commercials, you really don't want to go back to the old way. Also, people want to be able to watch their shows on any device they have without having to go through a complicated process to do so.

I really don't think the price is going to be an issue as people keep paying for cable tv even though the rates keep going up. I think the convenience portion of services like Netflix are what is going to drive this technology. (I would love ala carte as well, but I think that of the two convenience is going to come first.)

damn it all! I was really hoping it gave way to making your own tv packages. Give me NFL, ESPN (all of them including ESPN 'Ocho') PAC-10, Fox Sports and news channels (CNN, unfair and unbalance Fox news, Hipsters news network (MSNBC) ) and I will be in heaven :D;)

damn it all! I was really hoping it gave way to making your own tv packages. Give me NFL, ESPN (all of them including ESPN 'Ocho') PAC-10, Fox Sports and news channels (CNN, unfair and unbalance Fox news, Hipsters news network (MSNBC) ) and I will be in heaven :D;)

Only sports and maybe a disney channel or two for me, I get my news from the internet, can't stand watching it anymore.

Everyone's visions of a la carte is based on the price they pay now. Good Luck.

If you watch 5 hours or less of TV a week a la carte system may work for you. Anything more and I doubt it will be competitive with monthly cable.

He's right that the industry isn't ready for ala carte. So many of the specialty channels rely on being bundled to survive. I'm all for ala carte for that very reason, if people wouldn't choose to pay for your programming then you don't need to exist in the market. It could finally trim down some of the crap channels out there. This coming from someone that hasn't had anything besides OTA programming in 5 years.

Until the data cap bullshit is addressed, this is destined to fail.

Back