WD Introduces Versatile Media Player for Streaming Fans

HardOCP News

[H] News
WD®, a Western Digital company, and a world leader in storage solutions for the connected life, today unveils WD TV® Play™, a versatile media player that streams popular Internet channels, as well as personal photos, music and movies from other networked devices in the home, directly to an HDTV. Priced at just $69.99 USD, WD TV Play expands upon the existing WD TV family of products, offering an engaging new app-based user interface to allow customers to easily personalize their entertainment experience.

While I love my WDTV, the only advantage it has is that it is portable, so I can bring it to a friend stuff on a USB key. If you don't need a portable device (nor to use your pc at the same time youre watching streams), I highly recommend a solution that basically clones your PC output over wi-fi instead, allowing you to watch all you can watch with a media player, plus any stream imaginable (like twitch.tv) without restriction.

I was hoping someone would finally make a streaming device that didn't have annoyances such as blu-ray disk and iso playback, and a tuner.

Will this play my 1080p .mkv files directly?
Will this play from my NAS?
Will this have a front end media library or will I need to build one like PLEX or YAMJ?

I don't know... but the WD TV Live Hub does. We love ours.

I'm not interested in any pure streaming devices unless they can handle 1080p 5.1 playback of compressed video internally. Otherwise, no sale.

With Dish Networks acquisition of Sling, I wonder if this devices sling app is compatible with the 1st gen Hopper+sling device. It'd be considerably cheaper than the Joey units.

I just wish they'd make an android powered one to drive the chinese units down. Some of those are decently powerful for XBMC and other android apps. They all seem to want to stay with their proprietary versions of Linux.

With Dish Networks acquisition of Sling, I wonder if this devices sling app is compatible with the 1st gen Hopper+sling device. It'd be considerably cheaper than the Joey units.

I just wish they'd make an android powered one to drive the chinese units down. Some of those are decently powerful for XBMC and other android apps. They all seem to want to stay with their proprietary versions of Linux.

°°by they, I mean the TV box producers here in the states (Boxee,Roku,WDTV,etc).

Will this have a front end media library or will I need to build one like PLEX or YAMJ?

My raspberry pi with OpenELEC (XBMC) does all this fine. Takes a little setup (installing openelec) but after that its great. Look into it.

Yes, it will play 1080p .mkv files directly.
Yes, this will play from a NAS.
This device is the frontend and backend. You don't need anything else. You can view content streamed from DLNA, SMB Shares, etc.

Take a look at the link, it has plenty of information available.
http://store.westerndigital.com/sto...d.13092400/catid.13742300/categoryID.60025500

Back