New Flash Update Fixes Active Exploits

HardOCP News

[H] News
Go plug your Adobe hole before someone sneaks in a back door and exploits you. Make sure you only use this link because, in true Adobe style, the company says you might have to temporarily disable your antivirus software before installing a fix for two zero-day exploits. :rolleyes:

Uninstalled Java
Uninstalled Quicktime
Uninstalled Adobe Reader and Acrobat
Wishing to uninstall Flash

There are alternatives to these widely exploited applications. Flash is next on the list hopefully, what a nightmare it has been in terms of security. I call them the "big 4", because they are what 90% of drive by downloads exploit to autoinstall malware on a machine.

I am aware or alternatives to Adobe Reader and Acrobat and Quicktime.

What alternative is there for Java?

I am aware or alternatives to Adobe Reader and Acrobat and Quicktime.

What alternative is there for Java?

Very few users actually need Java on their home machine. We're not talking about Javascript, but Java the programming language and the framework that allows Java programs to be run. The instances that it's required are few and far between. As far alternatives - there is none really, but that's not an issues since it's not widely used, it's just widely installed. The reason it's widely installed is a relic of past good intentioned practices, you'd install Windows and then get Java since it was "necessary" because web based Java applets were in more widespread use during the late 90's early 2000's. That's no longer the case. You can browse the entire internet just fine without Java.

If you play Minecraft, then condolences.

Sorry, there is no replacement application for Acrobat. If you say Foxit, you lose.

How soon before this opens up another huge security hole? Their QC is awful.

I never installed Java when I did my fresh install of Win7 when it launched. I can count on 1 hand exactly how many times I that needed it. Even then, there was alternative to acomplish the task without it.

Has anyone noticed their IE tear away tabs stopped working after this? Maybe related, maybe not.

Anyway, I fixed mine on IE10 (Win8) by setting the following values in both:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main and in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main:

Values to check/create/set:
DWORD is "TabProcGrowth"

Create it, or If it exists and has a value of 0, set the value to 1 as shown below:

"TabProcGrowth" = dword: 00000001

Back