Google To Pay $82M Into French Media Fund

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google: You want us to pay French publishers for posting links to their content? NO WAY! Here's $82 million to put in a special fund instead. :rolleyes:

French publishers had been pushing for Google to pay them licensing fees for listing headlines and snippets of articles in its search engine results. The agreement, signed by President Francois Hollande and Google's executive chairman Eric Schmidt, follows months of talks between local media companies and the Internet search giant which were brokered by a government-appointed mediator.

Last edited:
So these "publishers" want Google to pay them for bringing traffic to their articles, that otherwise would get zero to non exposure at all....??? WTF! :rolleyes:

I mean there's sort of a thinly veiled point to be had here. Google's success is predicated on accurate and useful search results. In order to do this, google needs to display your content to give results to people so that they continue to use google. So google in fact does profit on your back, it's just that you profit as well by getting people to your content in the first place. It's win/win for both parties. If google were to simply delist their websites, then bing could happily pay the fee and claim that they provide more results than google does.

It's just really gay that the authors would extort the system like this for their own personal gain.

So these "publishers" want Google to pay them for bringing traffic to their articles, that otherwise would get zero to non exposure at all....??? WTF! :rolleyes:

If Google did that, the publishers would sue that they are not being listed on Google. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

If it were my company, I'd tell them to file DMCA requests to have their content removed.

Guess I better get to publishing a website with headlines and articles then.

Back