Dell Buyout Coming Monday?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to Reuters, that buyout deal Dell has been working on could come as soon as Monday. The article says Michael Dell is expected to take majority ownership of the company.

Dell Inc is nearing an agreement to sell itself to a buyout consortium led by its founder and Chief Executive Michael Dell and private equity firm Silver Lake Partners, possibly announcing a deal as soon as Monday, according to two people familiar with the matter. The final price the group is expected to pay Dell shareholders could not be immediately learned.

I wonder if Dell will be better now that it doesn't have to answer to share holders.

It would certainly allow them to remake the company more strategically ... investors seem to drive you towards short term gains sometimes

They would also be able to avoid some of the more onerous government reporting requirements ... Sarbanes Oxley and Conflict Minerals (since those rules only apply to publically traded companies) ... this might save them a few bucks

Overall I think this could be very good for them

"As part of the transaction, Michael Dell will contribute his existing stake of almost 16 percent in the company toward gaining majority ownership, sources close to the matter have said."

So he kicks in his 16% and emerges owning the majority (51%?). That is quite a trick.

"As part of the transaction, Michael Dell will contribute his existing stake of almost 16 percent in the company toward gaining majority ownership, sources close to the matter have said."

So he kicks in his 16% and emerges owning the majority (51%?). That is quite a trick.

That sounds like urban high school math or something. I think they need to check to see if they're reducing the fraction correctly or putting the negative signs in the right places. They should try squaring it by pi times r.

His 16% plus the rest in cash.

with pc manufacturing being where it is at, I think this could be the best thing for dell.

I just bought a dell server for our branch office last week, i'm fairly impressed with the build quality vs price compared to HP (which was trying to be pushed on us by a 3rd party consultant).

I think a reimaging, and a proper balance of quality and price could position them to take a good share of what remains of the desktop and notebook arena...at least the mainstream part of it.

I really think this is an instance that pulling shareholders out of the equation will mean good things for the company.

with pc manufacturing being where it is at, I think this could be the best thing for dell.

I just bought a dell server for our branch office last week, i'm fairly impressed with the build quality vs price compared to HP (which was trying to be pushed on us by a 3rd party consultant).

I think a reimaging, and a proper balance of quality and price could position them to take a good share of what remains of the desktop and notebook arena...at least the mainstream part of it.

I really think this is an instance that pulling shareholders out of the equation will mean good things for the company.

As long as it remains a corporation, there will still be shareholders. The only difference is that, with a private corporation, shares aren't for sale on the open market.

According to the article, Microsoft along with a private equity firm called Silver Lake Partners would become minority owners. Interesting arrangement.

Michael Dell is expected to take majority ownership of the world's third-largest personal computer maker while Silver Lake and Microsoft Corp would become minority investors

reading retention failure on my part - thx

a double-edged sword for both MD & MS

Why do I get the feeling Microsoft's one stipulation/mandate as their interest in this deal will be "No more offering any Win7 downgrade option, Dell. No more. Lets just forget about that."

Why do I get the feeling Microsoft's one stipulation/mandate as their interest in this deal will be "No more offering any Win7 downgrade option, Dell. No more. Lets just forget about that."

If Dell is looking to transition to an enterprise services company, abandoning Windows 7 would be suicidal.

Microsoft still allows any Win8 license to be downgraded to Win7 or Vista, and so forth.

Likewise they allow any Win7 license to downgrade as well.

It's been a seldom-used feature of their OS licenses for a very long time.

Microsoft still allows any Win8 license to be downgraded to Win7 or Vista, and so forth.

Likewise they allow any Win7 license to downgrade as well.

It's been a seldom-used feature of their OS licenses for a very long time.

But Windows 7 is an upgrade... :D

Back