How NVIDIA's Project SHIELD Got Built

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is a very interesting article posted today on the official NVIDIA blog about how Project Shield got built. It's actually pretty neat to get a behind the scenes look at how Project Shield came to life.

The story behind Project SHIELD is a tale of an idea as much as it is of a product. Jen-Hsun — NVIDIA’s intense, motorcycle-jacket clad leader calls that idea ‘speed of light’ (or ‘speedolight’ as he says it). The notion isn’t to hit impossible deadlines fueled by adrenaline and fried chicken grease. It’s to understand the limits of what can be done and work within only those basic constraints.

i don't see this knee-jerk reaction to being locked out of the next-gen consoles making any money.

Keep in mind that SHIELD is a multi-platform device which and boost GPU sales.

I am spending a few hours with Shield first hand next week. Will let you know my thoughts on it for sure.

They need to make the joysticks swappable. Having an expensive device like this with worn out joysticks would really suck. We've all seen a good xbox controller after a few months of hardcore use. I doubt it would add much to manufacture cost if they design it right and it would allow them to have extra stuff to sell people. They could even have extra long sticks for more accuracy.

The only way I would use this is if you can stream from the internet, not just your local network.

The only way I would use this is if you can stream from the internet, not just your local network.

The only limiting factors are latency and bandwidth. The latency can be mostly written off but the upload bandwidth from your home connection will be likely a show stopper. Android can connect to VPN, so if you wanted to you could do it.

i don't see this knee-jerk reaction to being locked out of the next-gen consoles making any money.
I wonder if its a knee jerk reaction to not being in the Steam Box. They serve a similar purpose. To game off you PC from the couch in the living room.

I half wonder if the Steam box should have been a streaming device off your PC off your local network. I'd imagine it would be cheaper in general. You buy it once and as you upgrade your gaming PC, the Steam Box just passes along that improvement. Otherwise you have two PC's to upgrade over time.

The only limiting factors are latency and bandwidth. The latency can be mostly written off but the upload bandwidth from your home connection will be likely a show stopper. Android can connect to VPN, so if you wanted to you could do it.

Mmmm. I think it would be the opposite. Latency is the real killer, upload bandwidth is a non-issue, since you'd only send controller commands.

I wonder if its a knee jerk reaction to not being in the Steam Box. They serve a similar purpose. To game off you PC from the couch in the living room.

I half wonder if the Steam box should have been a streaming device off your PC off your local network. I'd imagine it would be cheaper in general. You buy it once and as you upgrade your gaming PC, the Steam Box just passes along that improvement. Otherwise you have two PC's to upgrade over time.

Probably the lower end box would be a Stream Box. Even an E-350 should be plenty for that.

Had nearly forgotten about this device, would hope it brings something more to the table than the Vita and 3DS.

Back