Facebook And Apple Empires Are Bound To Fall

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this guy, the only way for Facebook and Apple is down. Is he on to something or just on something? ;)

The first is Apple. The past week saw a veritable torrent of hysterical reaction to its quarterly results, coupled with fevered speculation about its future. The globe has been hypnotised for years by Apple's metamorphosis from a failing computer manufacturer into a corporate giant that, on some days, is now the most valuable company in the world, with bigger cash reserves than the annual GDP of some countries. But as with all inexorable growth curves, the question on every commentator's lips is: has Apple peaked?

This guy is what would be referred to as "CAPTAIN FUCKING OBVIOUS"

What rises, must fall.- that is a known truth of everything in the universe.

Facebook... a fad. Apple...a fad brand on a timer to self destruction.... 10 years from now we will remember the "Apple Era"

I think Apple has peaked for the immediate future. Unless they can pull another rabbit like the iPad/iPhone out of their magical hat they can't really hope to sustain their current profits.

It also doesn't help that they are getting tons of bad press for their labor force including child labor.

I think Apple has peaked for the immediate future. Unless they can pull another rabbit like the iPad/iPhone out of their magical hat they can't really hope to sustain their current profits.

It also doesn't help that they are getting tons of bad press for their labor force including child labor.

What kind of rabbit, though? I was thinking of a beefed up iPhone/iPad is in reach. Call it a “Super iPad”.

The only other type of innovation is something that you wear on your head, or feet. Call it Head-ware or Foot-ware.

Apple Fan Boi: "iPhone 20....Oh look, they added a pink feather option on the back cover....It's such an improvement. Let's buy it."

That's the problem they are facing. They need to expand markets and innovate. However iTV will not save them. In other words, Apple is out of fresh new ideas.

What kind of rabbit, though? I was thinking of a beefed up iPhone/iPad is in reach. Call it a “Super iPad”.

The only other type of innovation is something that you wear on your head, or feet. Call it Head-ware or Foot-ware.

No, they could call it the maxiPad.......oh wait.

I wouldn't be buying Apple shares right now. They need another visionary, not necessarily someone like Jobs, though. But don't forget that Apple has monumental cash reserves, so they've got plenty of time.

One does have to wonder it these analysts were that smart wouldn't they all be retired and rich instead of still working as analysts :)

I wouldn't bet against social networking just yet since the one thing people seem to love more than anything else is themselves and FB seems to have that whole business model down ... they might have their ups and downs but I don't see them being another Myspace

In the case of Apple you are betting against a company with 100 Billion in the bank ... they could buy into 2-3 major new industries if they wanted to bad enough ... people don't seem to have fallen out of love with electronics either ... their stock price might have been a little too high but their P/E ratio was better than lots of other companies

One wonders how many analysts have predicted the demise of IBM, ATT, GE, Ford, and other companies ... not saying Apple is in that class but they well could be, if they wanted to ;)

Can't really see FB failing, it's a little too big to fall. They are essentially the Microsoft of the social network world. However i could see a fad social network become the equivalent of apple. Google+ has gone nowhere as far as i can tell.

One problem with his argument is that iPhone/iPad sales continue to accelerate. The hit on Apple's profit wasn't due to slow or peaking sales, it was because of higher production costs on new products killing profit margins.

I'm not saying that Apple or Facebook won't peak, but not paying attention to or fabricating hard data (especially based on something as fickle as stock price) is strange.

One problem with his argument is that iPhone/iPad sales continue to accelerate. The hit on Apple's profit wasn't due to slow or peaking sales, it was because of higher production costs on new products killing profit margins.

I'm not saying that Apple or Facebook won't peak, but not paying attention to or fabricating hard data (especially based on something as fickle as stock price) is strange.

Troof.

And my statement remains the same above.

Google+ has gone nowhere as far as i can tell.

Might want to open your eyes a bit wider then, since Google+ just surpassed Twitter and hit #2. Let me guess, you don't use it so you think no one does.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthony...2-and-youtube-at-3-google-inc-could-catch-up/
Screen-Shot-2013-01-25-at-10.13.36-PM.jpg

Might want to open your eyes a bit wider then, since Google+ just surpassed Twitter and hit #2. Let me guess, you don't use it so you think no one does.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthony...2-and-youtube-at-3-google-inc-could-catch-up/
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/anthonykosner/files/2013/01/Screen-Shot-2013-01-25-at-10.13.36-PM.jpg
But how much of that is in thanks to them making accounts for Youtubers when they merged the two services together?

To quote the site that Forbes got their info from:
The fastest growing network in 2013 in terms of “Active Usage” (defined as “Used or contributed to in the past month”) was Twitter which grew 40% to 288m across our 31 markets (approximately 90% of global internet population). 21% of the global internet population now use Twitter actively on a monthly basis. This compares to 21% actively using YouTube, 25% actively using Google+ and a staggering 51% using Facebook on a monthly basis.
Google+, who despite being branded a failure or ghost town by large portions of the media, grew in terms of active usage by 27% to 343m users to become the number 2 social platform.

Would that not show that G+ was ahead of Twitter before the posted date of your graph?

Also if you had bothered to read the originating artice that Forbes got their info from you would see that they collected their info from online surveys, not usage from ALL users ;).

One problem with his argument is that iPhone/iPad sales continue to accelerate.
I don't think most people on tech blogs/forums actually realize that fact. Since 2008, Apple's annual revenues have doubled every other year so the armchair analysts, especially the ones talking out of their ass about Apple needing to innovate or fail have no idea how the company is doing in sales. The people who think Apple needs to maintain its growth at their current pace in order to stay afloat, are somehow thinking Apple needs to make over $300 billion in revenue in 2014, $600 billion in 2016 and over $1 trillion in 6 years or go bankrupt.

Even someone with a double digit IQ can figure out that kind of expectation is not just unrealistic, but batshit crazy.

But how much of that is in thanks to them making accounts for Youtubers when they merged the two services together?

To quote the site that Forbes got their info from:

Would that not show that G+ was ahead of Twitter before the posted date of your graph?

Also if you had bothered to read the originating artice that Forbes got their info from you would see that they collected their info from online surveys, not usage from ALL users ;).

It does not matter, every company with a vertical integration forces that on users to increase its presence in a new area, thats like saying well how many people buy iPhones because they already had a library in iTunes because of their iPod, who cares at the end of the day the sales / use grows and starts killing competitors.

The article I thought was horribly written, he did not give any sort of time frame, which means he knows nothing, I could say one day MS will no longer exist, could be in 3 years could be in 30000 years.

Facebook has a deeper issue, they are now public and will be pressed to make the share holders happy, and this will cause them to keep spending money, they dont really have to try to get into new markets. Things that one make sense. I still blame MS problems on the XBOX, they should have never gone there. Even if you break into a market it can cost you in your core market. But whats next for facebook? Facebook OS? lol Facebook phone, I dont know, hardware, how much will they be distracted. Currently Google is going to put the heat on facebook, its vertical integration will allow them to do that, as others said, they own youtube, yesterday I wanted to write a bad review for the harmony link app and the play store said I MUST link my google plus account. I though no thanks but I know most people wont do that. I have seen google auto upload pictures on peoples phones to +, this is the big thing, just like MS could kill netscape google can kill face book. Face book has nothing to fight back with unless they go right now and make some killer deals with apple and MS and try to fight +. Still fact is google is going to be pushing 80% of that mobile space soon, it just may be an impossible tast to fight google+.

Apples issue is similar instead of investors being given a dividend and apple saying we are just going to stick with high end and try to be a sort of Versace of computing. Instead they will make junk like the iPad mini and start coming down in price / quality which will amount to them dilluting their brand. Some companies just have to learn their are limits to their business model.

Screen-Shot-2013-01-25-at-10.13.36-PM.jpg

Could it be because Google tied Android photo albums to Google+ accounts without letting users know about it?

Nahhhh it couldn't be.

My girlfriend was pissed when she found out about it only 2-3 weeks ago. She had her S3 since summer and she didn't know. She hates posting pictures online.

My girlfriend was pissed when she found out about it only 2-3 weeks ago. She had her S3 since summer and she didn't know. She hates posting pictures online.

I don't use G+ myself, but hard to imagine S3 users are what pushed G+ to #2. Meanwhile that stat tracker tracks activity and sounds like in your GF's case she wasn't using it anyway.

Regardless, a girl that doesn't like posting pics online? She might be the only one.

Not S3's. Android phones. Isn't Android up to where Apple is now in popularity?

Coming from someone who hates Apple, this sounds like some crazy gibberish that a guy in a tinfoil hat would be saying to himself while he sits in the corner of a padded room.

"Apple is bound to fall... yep... AAAAAAny day now...."

Apple is more likely to drop into obscurity in the next year or so and then languish there for a while and then come back when they capitalize on another up and coming technology. It's kinda their thing.

Apple's sitting on a mountain of cash. Barring any significant changes to said mountain, I'd say they're in good shape.

Yeah, saying Apple is going to fail is a bit of a stretch. If anything, their market share has decreased a bit. I believe in the future, they'll be back in the peanut gallery and not a leader of their product as new innovation and products develop outside of their company.

Facebook, I see their business scope changing as a data mining company with the front of social media as a ploy. Data Mining is big business and if you have a user base of 700 million users then you have some credible data to provide to high paying businesses.

thing is facebook is that social networking whether you want to admit it or not is a fad. Yes things will always be more and more integrated, but sooner or later people will get bored of having their every moment tracked/tweeted/shared.

Facebook is an industry that has far more potential to dry up "overnight" vs apple.

Apple can bleed billions for years if they needed to and still have the financial power to accomplish things. I don't like them at all as a company (or their products) they are the king of milking an idea though. Unless they think up a new gadget that fills some void we didn't know we had, eventually the iphone/ipad thing will just be old.

I have deleted my facebook acct. Not that it will affect them anytime soon, but they no longer control me.

*drum roll*....Nooooo s#!t Sherlock!

Apple have been at the brink of collapse before, Facebook is another fart in the breeze before it goes the way of Myspace, it will probably fall apart with a wrong turn on it's ever changing policy (look at the impact it had on Instagram).

I don't use G+ myself, but hard to imagine S3 users are what pushed G+ to #2. Meanwhile that stat tracker tracks activity and sounds like in your GF's case she wasn't using it anyway.

Regardless, a girl that doesn't like posting pics online? She might be the only one.

I don't know here your getting this "stat tracker" idea from but per the writers comment:
http://globalwebindex.net/thinking/...media-platforms/comment-page-1/#comment-58966
All of this data is collected using online surveys which allow us to more easily measure cross-device behaviour.
They used online survey's to get collect there data.

Back