Theater Experiments With 'Tweet Seats'

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess this is better than nothing but I still think you need to have your ass kicked for texting or using a cell phone in theaters.

The downtown theater is now setting aside a small number of seats — in the back — for those who promise to live-tweet from the performance using a special hash tag. They might offer impressions of the set, music or costumes, lines of dialogue that resonate with them or anything else that strikes them, really.

Whatever happened to writing something down on a piece of paper and documenting it for later? I think it was called note taking?

Just makes it easy to hit someone with a drink and add splash damage for added effect. YES!!!

if a theater wants to do that, its their option. and since I dont go see plays anyways.. i dont care.

I'm not paying $100+ for a live performance to have some douchebag sitting near me on their goddamned cellphone. It shouldn't be an option of any kind, that person should be immediately evicted and barred from ever coming back. Save that kind of trailer park trash behavior for $0.99 theaters.

I'm not paying $100+ for a live performance to have some douchebag sitting near me on their goddamned cellphone. It shouldn't be an option of any kind, that person should be immediately evicted and barred from ever coming back. Save that kind of trailer park trash behavior for $0.99 theaters.

Don't sit in the back and they won't be near you ;-)

... hum... as a serious hobbyist actor, I would find it distracting while being on stage. A whole row of screen lights going on and off like a Christmas decoration.

Not only that... how long before it's two rows... then three... then... ah, just fuck it, why don't you go ahead and take pictures of you and your friends duck-facing while the performance is going on?

Yeah... I don't like it.

Besides, who the hell would want to live-tweet a performance? You might miss something while typing on the screen!

Besides, who the hell would want to live-tweet a performance? You might miss something while typing on the screen!

This probably caters to the people that tweet while driving or walking so I really doubt "miss something" is anywhere on their priorities in real life.

Maybe with a bunch of them in one clump they'll realize how stupid it actually is and stop.

But from a theater standpoint I can understand it, I'd be really peeved if I owned the place and when a show finished, everyone stopped right outside the theater like mindless drones and all started texting and tweeting while blocking fire exits or marquees.

They should put the ‘Pirate Seats’ in the front. Plenty of space to put the tripods.:D

Why would you go see a musical to use your phone? I think they should set up a cubical in the back too, so I can work from the play too. Can they also setup a TV area so I can watch the game while being at the play?

Why watch the play, then? If your attention isn't even on the play, how can you give an accurate review?!

I don't see it as a good idea. Too distracting for the audience and the actors.

Well, there are a lot of people out there that basically don't believe something happened unless they've Tweeted about it. Life for many is no longer about experiencing things. It's about telling people about things you've experienced.

Well, there are a lot of people out there that basically don't believe something happened unless they've Tweeted about it. Life for many is no longer about experiencing things. It's about telling people about things you've experienced.

There's also the bored boyfriend/husband who went to an opera or ballet to make their girlfriend/wife happy. ;)

Just makes it easy to hit someone with a drink and add splash damage for added effect. YES!!!

We must be long lost friends, I was thinking the same thing. I'm sick of this shit every time I go to a show. Frankly, I'm fucking sick of phones and people being on the goddamn things in one way or another, for most of their time awake and out of bed.

One thing I've found, if you go to a performance, don't take a camera and put away the phone. Rather than watching what ever you just spend the whole time "documenting" rather than paying attention, so you tend to just miss stuff...

Whatever happened to writing something down on a piece of paper and documenting it for later? I think it was called note taking?

Just remember it?

We must be long lost friends, I was thinking the same thing. I'm sick of this shit every time I go to a show. Frankly, I'm fucking sick of phones and people being on the goddamn things in one way or another, for most of their time awake and out of bed.

Shh. Stay calm and blend in!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUXHB5U-Vl4

I can totally see this in the near future where if you're not of the cell mainstream. :D

Just remember it?
Remember? In this age, perish the thought!

Hmm from a few responses in this thread, it appears that nobody read the article.

"back of theater" - which means it won't be bothering anyone. It never said anything about twitter seats in the front.

Back