Are Female Soldiers Coming to Video Games?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Form follows fashion and with the recent announcement of women joining their brothers-in-arms on the battlefield, it’s only safe to bet the gaming industry will follow suite. With more female combat personnel showing up as featured characters, soon male dominated world of gaming playing field may just be leveled a little further.

The real question will be how video games will portray women soldiers. If all a character does is gun down terrorists or other players, then it may not matter. But if the game has a plot line and gives the player-character a personality, motives and desires, should a female soldier behave differently than a man?

At least there will be twice the player models... It gets kind of silly in games where theres like 3... :D

so there will be 4 then?

Depends, if they do one per class or just one. Would be nice in games like BF3 where every single guy looks the same...

It might cause balance issues though, if they make the female characters shorter or smaller in stature (so harder to hit)...(though the womens in Planetside 2 have giant asses :D)

camo bikini DLC coming soon.... I can't wait until we see terrorist women with full black garbs. It will almost be as silly as seeing nuns run around in ak47s. Oh the possibilities of silly nonsense! :D

it was a poke at having 3 male models and one female model lol

So Laura Croft will join the COD and BF series then. I hope they do the Jiggle well.

LOL :D

Quake 2 had a female player model, and not just "oh I crashed and I got to survive", the model and skins were for combat marines just like the male player model and skins. These guys are a bit late to the party.

Aliens Colonial Marines should be the first recent game to have female soldiers/marines, not because of the pentagon decision I know but it coincides with it.

Calling it now: all the female models will be hypersexualised to the point of absurdity.

I hope that they do it with the male models too. :D
(This is so that my personal characteristics can be more accurately represented.:eek:)

I hope that they do it with the male models too. :D
(This is so that my personal characteristics can be more accurately represented.:eek:)

TBH, for the most part that's done already.

Unless you actually think every guy on the street looks like they stepped out of Gears of War or something.

Um... Mass Effect, Halo, Star Wars, Elder Scrolls, Guild Wars, Borderlands. All franchises off the top of my head that have female soldiers.

...or do they just consider video games to be CoD and Battlefield?

Rubbish.

Um... Mass Effect, Halo, Star Wars, Elder Scrolls, Guild Wars, Borderlands. All franchises off the top of my head that have female soldiers.

...or do they just consider video games to be CoD and Battlefield?

Rubbish.

Ohai! Welcome to the forum!

All those games you mentioned aside from COD and Battlefield are pretty much tiny niche games...except maybe Halo. Mass Effect wasn't based on anything famous. Star Wars stuff is based on a bunch of almost black and white movies that have a fanbase of mostly 60+ year olds who were 20 when the movies came out. The Elder Scrolls is a niche single player RPG in a world of MMOs. Guild Wars is a freebie MMO that is really tiny and Borderlands is some kind of oddity that I haven't even heard out outside of [H] forums.

Ohai! Welcome to the forum!

All those games you mentioned aside from COD and Battlefield are pretty much tiny niche games...except maybe Halo. Mass Effect wasn't based on anything famous. Star Wars stuff is based on a bunch of almost black and white movies that have a fanbase of mostly 60+ year olds who were 20 when the movies came out. The Elder Scrolls is a niche single player RPG in a world of MMOs. Guild Wars is a freebie MMO that is really tiny and Borderlands is some kind of oddity that I haven't even heard out outside of [H] forums.

I lol'd :D Thanks for the welcome

Gears of War 3 had a female soldier who was a lead character. It only makes sense to appeal to another audience that is long overdue.

I hope the gaming industry can actually realize that offering up stronger female roles will only lead to more profit.

Metroid has shown that women can be both hyper-sexualized and wear full-body-armor!

I think The Umbrella Corporation did a study on this.

Yes, they must have slender waist, wide hips, big ass, and jiggly boobs.
Otherwise, fail.

Game artists are still working on modern combat bikinis.

For thousands and thousands of years, our ancestors figured out that women make for really shitty foot soldiers.

We know they don't run as fast, carry as much, have as much endurance, are naturally as prone to violence, and resistant to hygiene issues, and so forth as the average man. We know this even for highly trained olympic athletes, where it would be unfair to expect women to compete against men.

Yet the feminazi "women can do everything that men can, and more" campaign now results in putting women on the front line and screwing up unit cohesion. Nice guys, really nice. And there is nothing wrong with women in the armed forces, but keep it restricted to pilots or navy command and other jobs that don't rely first and foremost on "hunter" qualities that we know men are just plain better at.

I honestly didn't realize that women weren't allowed on the battlefield and certainly didn't realize they weren't in video games. Women should be allowed to do anything IMO, because they can kick some serious ass just like men. Gender shouldn't be a predetermined attribute when considering these things, even if studies show they tend to be a certain way... it's still prejudice... some women are more "manly" then some men... so, whatever... :p

I honestly didn't realize that women weren't allowed on the battlefield and certainly didn't realize they weren't in video games. Women should be allowed to do anything IMO, because they can kick some serious ass just like men. Gender shouldn't be a predetermined attribute when considering these things, even if studies show they tend to be a certain way... it's still prejudice... some women are more "manly" then some men... so, whatever... :p

This...
images

Though honestly I would love to have women involved in anything. Also, before women complain that they don't want any sexy big breasted women in games, just remember it doesn't matter. Internet Rule #34.

h10F1E008

Heinlein has quotes for every thing it seems
Whenever women have insisted on absolute equality with men, they have invariably wound up with the dirty end of the stick. What they are and what they can do makes them superior to men, and their proper tactic is to demand special privileges, all the traffic will bear. they should never settle merely for equality. For women, "equality" is a disaster. - Notebook of Lazarus Long; Robert Heinlein

Women should be allowed to do anything IMO, because they can kick some serious ass just like men.
Yeah, except you are wrong. And that is why the military had to completely lower the physical fitness standards for women. Yup, that's right, women are not held to the same standard (APFT results that are considered borderline fail for a 21 year old applicant are considered high enough for commendation for a female... that makes sense how?) and before you say that's gender bias, fact is that they would either have to:
1) Lower the standard so that the army would be full of 110 pound girl-strength men.
2) Be accused of bypassing integration laws by holding an unrealistic standard for women to meet.
Gender shouldn't be a predetermined attribute when considering these things, even if studies show they tend to be a certain way... it's still prejudice...
Except in the real world, results are what matter, and bunking males and females in the same quarters and the same showers leads to voluntary (and involuntary) sex, ruins unit cohesion, and as they often say in the military you are only as good as your weakest link. So if GI Jane can't keep pace with everyone trying to fall back as quickly as possible from a taliban ambush in Afghanistan, that means the entire troop has to either leave her behind to be raped or compensate for the liability.

But tell you what, just show me one example in the history of warfare where an integrated male and female foot soldier force was successful, and we won't have to consider this a politically correct pre-emptively failed experiment that will cost lives and weaken our forces.

Again, that is not to say that women can't be in the army/navy/airforce, but feminazis need to face facts that women and men ARE NOT THE SAME.

of course they start having women join combat as soon as they start pulling out from wars. makes sense.

Back