NVIDIA GFE Open Beta Now Available

HardOCP News

[H] News
NVIDIA sends word that the GFE Open Beta is now available. In addition to various bug fixes and improvements, the company has added support for ten new games and the following changes have been made:

GeForce Experience 1.0.1 Release Notes:
  • Expanded game support, including FarCry 3, Mechwarrior Online, and Hawken. GFE now support 41 titles.
  • Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad CPU support in most games. More to come.
  • Dramatically improved game detection logic/
  • Added optimal playable settings for 2560 x 1440 displays.
  • Improved translations for Chinese, Danish, and UK English.
  • Improved performance for client startup, billboard display, game scan, and communication with NVIDIA servers.
  • Numerous bug fixes and improvements.

Interesting... I wonder, do they plan to include this with newer drivers after it is out of beta or will it be kept separate?

Is GFE included or is that service extra? I'm sure if you pay enough NVIDIA will throw in a trip to Greece.

I am still unclear as to what this actually is. It just changes the graphics settings for a game? Is it really that hard for some people? I guess not everyone understands resolution, AA, shadows, texture detail, etc.

GeForce Experience targets 40 FPS (average) for its optimal settings.

Not sure how I feel about that, as I generally prefer a much higher FPS due to having a 120hz monitor.

Can't you adjust that target FPS? Kinda understandable target since consoles went for looking good in still images only (except Nintendo's titles) and the younger generations never got to taste 60fps, but still.

(I'd like to see what it makes out of Metro 2033, defaulted to 40-50 FPS, deactivated two useless filters and 120+ FPS.)

Hmm it recommends 1366x768 resolution for my 3x1080p monitors. Pass. I'd rather run native resolution and lower settings than low resolution and higher settings.

Can't you adjust that target FPS? Kinda understandable target since consoles went for looking good in still images only (except Nintendo's titles) and the younger generations never got to taste 60fps, but still.

(I'd like to see what it makes out of Metro 2033, defaulted to 40-50 FPS, deactivated two useless filters and 120+ FPS.)

I'm guessing "target FPS" means "The game will run at 40FPS with this combination of settings enabled." I don't think there's an actual target.

Nevertheless, it reminds me of so many other attempts (usually by games themselves) to "detect" what's right. I have yet to see one that does.

Nevertheless, it reminds me of so many other attempts (usually by games themselves) to "detect" what's right. I have yet to see one that does.

Exactly, it always upsets me when games recommend the medium settings after I paid for two high end cards in SLI.

I'm still chuckling over the whole "GFE" thing....

Agh... how can you not appreciate PR dolts in a cubicle coming up with these fan-tab-u-las ideas....

Makes me wanna throw up some jazz hands....

GeForce Experience basically makes it easier for the layman to get the best settings in games. Instead of just detecting your GPU and CPU and setting generic low/medium/high presets, it uses feedback from actual people who weigh the performance cost against the visible benefits of individual settings for specific games on specific hardware. It's probably not as big of a deal for the hardcore guys that like messing with this sort of thing, but for the average gamer who just wants to install the game and start playing it helps them get a better overall experience. You'd be surprised how many gamers will play a game for months or years without even looking in the settings to turn up the graphics quality or even set the proper resolution. I once saw a guy at one of my own LAN parties playing in 640x480 with all default settings despite great hardware. I couldn't stand it so I made him move out of the way so I could set it to 1920x1080 and crank up the settings (still 60fps) and he was just like "Oh... that does look better..." I know another guy that has a thousand dollar PC with a GTX 670, plays PC games all the time, but didn't even know how to copy and paste a file when asked to do so. Some people very seriously need the simplification that GFE offers.

The software seems to do a pretty good job as far as I can tell from my participation in the closed beta, but then my slowest machine has a GTX 680 so it's not tough to find good settings in most games. I gather the main reason GFE has potential to work well where other automated systems fail is because actual people are trying these settings out on various hardware and noting what looks better or plays smoother. I'm there are still plenty of issues and inconsistencies to iron out during the beta testing phase, but I imagine the accuracy of its suggested settings will improve as more people join in. Overall it's a welcome addition in my opinion. It's both free and optional, so I'd say it's certainly worth trying.

the last thing I want is for Nvidia choosing my 'optimal' graphics settings...that's part of the fun of PC gaming...GFE is for gaming newbs who don't know how to update drivers, change components etc

Last edited:
From what I gather in here, most people enjoy tweaking settings more than playing games?

I'd use it for a baseline and then just tweak a few things up to my liking. A good starting point is welcome.

Ok, I see a lot of negative responses to this software and I have to say its working as intented. I'm often unsure what is supported by my notebooks GT 555M and bad nvidia drivers keep me from just playing on my notebook. I mostly just use my desktop and I don't want spent my time at Starbucks setting up my games and find the optimal setting and one mistake can land me in a loading screen that can take forever. With one button press graphics are set and I'm ready to go, maybe I need to go in and turn off DOF, but generally it works really well. On my desktop I think it sets the graphics a little to low on some game, but its nice to press a button and then have base for me to play with the settings. It's a neat toy and might make PC games more accessible to people who might be more console oriented and tend to leave games at stock setting (I come across them all the time, ppl who think the console look better because they don't know about graphics setting).

Completely agree. Again, it's totally optional. It's not really made for guys like us that actually enjoy the technical aspects of gaming, but HardOCP users are not average gamers. A big reason so many people play console games is because it's simple. The simpler we can make PC gaming without taking anything away from it, the more attractive PC gaming will be to gamers in general. When more people play PC games, we all benefit from the platform getting more attention. The best part is that the people that want it can use it and people that don't need can just ignore it. Just another reason I use a PC.

Back