Mega Sharing Service Lacks Versatility

HardOCP News

[H] News
Kim Dotcom's new Mega lacks the versatility and features offered by Dropbox, Google Drive and SkyDrive? I thought this was supposed to be the greatest thing ever?

The new Mega service promises user privacy and a generous 50 gigabytes of free storage space — officially for documents and other files you own or are authorized to share. What Mega doesn't promise is a good experience. Instead, it feels like a work in progress. Several other services do what Mega does — and do it better. Mega's sharing options aren't as versatile. The service doesn't even let you change a compromised password or reset one you've forgotten.

The reason you can't change your password is because the encryption is tied to the password on the account.

Google+ should have proved to the world that millions of people creating accounts to poke around for a minute does not translate into successful widespread adoption. This is no different (aside from being a completely different type of service, but a service none the less).

I just hope that it doesn't follow the same path of adding the most intriguing features AFTER the initial wave of curiosity passes them by.

The service doesn't even let you change a compromised password or reset one you've forgotten.

author is completely ignorant of how and why the encryption works. your password is the key to the file. if you loose it, thats it, its your own dumb fault. mega doesnt have a replacement set of keys for you. even if they wanted to give you one they couldnt.

If you want an insecure file storage locker, thats what dropbox that the rest are for. "wild and free sharing" and "security" are at opposite ends of the spectrum. if you want one, you will be sacrificing the other to get it. no way around that. stupids.

author is completely ignorant of how and why the encryption works. your password is the key to the file. if you loose it, thats it, its your own dumb fault. mega doesnt have a replacement set of keys for you. even if they wanted to give you one they couldnt.

If you want an insecure file storage locker, thats what dropbox that the rest are for. "wild and free sharing" and "security" are at opposite ends of the spectrum. if you want one, you will be sacrificing the other to get it. no way around that. stupids.

^This. It's like complaining about a ferarri because it doesn't make as good of a family car as a Toyota Camry or a Honda Accord. Two different things, two different purposes, two different ways of achieving it.

Someone spouting off about something they know nothing about? Say it ain't so!!

ANICK JESDANUN said:
All three go further by letting you do so from a wide range of browsers. Mega warns that using anything other than Google's Chrome browser is bound to cause problems. That includes Microsoft's Internet Explorer, which comes with every Windows computer, and Apple's Safari, which comes with Mac machines. Chrome comes with, well, Chromebook machines, which few people have. Mega says it's pushing the envelope with technology that other browsers lack, and it offers links when using other browsers to download and install Chrome.

That's the dumbest, most uninformed ignorant statement I've read this month... That pretty much loses huge amounts of credibility for this person. Even if he makes other valid points. The fact that they don't know shit about browser basics is not acceptable.

Eh, Dropbox is secured too. It's not "wild and free sharing". You have to make it "wild and free sharing".

https://www.dropbox.com/teams/security

But I agree about losing your password. You lose it, its your tough luck. But Mega should at least have a "forget your password?" reset link. It can be secured by simply tying it to your email or cell phone (text).

But I agree about losing your password. You lose it, its your tough luck. But Mega should at least have a "forget your password?" reset link. It can be secured by simply tying it to your email or cell phone (text).

Don't forget your password. A forgot your password link introduces a vulnerability to court orders, warrants, and enforcement operations. The way Mega is set up, the court may order your data turned over, but hell if they're going to be able to decrypt it unless you give them, or they crack, your password.

Don't forget your password. A forgot your password link introduces a vulnerability to court orders, warrants, and enforcement operations. The way Mega is set up, the court may order your data turned over, but hell if they're going to be able to decrypt it unless you give them, or they crack, your password.

Or with quite a few people, just find it posted on a forum somewhere where the person is sharing shit ;).

Eh, Dropbox is secured too. It's not "wild and free sharing". You have to make it "wild and free sharing".

its not secure in that your data can be decrypted by Dropbox staff if they decide to or are directed to by law. Mega cant decrypt your files, even if they are ordered to, no matter what. thats where the extra protection comes from.

this defeats the "we cant decrypt your files even if we wanted to" security feature. If they could reset your password, that means that they have the ability to change the key that encrypts your files. If they have that ability, then they can also necessarily decrypt your files, either for fun or if directed to by some government.

your cellphone number or email address adds no protection against the host decrypting your files. its IMPOSSIBLE to have a password reset function AND have the host unable to access your files. either they have access or they dont. there is no middle.

That's the dumbest, most uninformed ignorant statement I've read this month... That pretty much loses huge amounts of credibility for this person. Even if he makes other valid points. The fact that they don't know shit about browser basics is not acceptable.

Jesus christ dude I am one for jumping on people but chill out seriously.

MOTHERFUCKING WIN!

exactly. Why can't you guys see this as just being another front for piracy.

Kim dotcom doesn't give a shit about data storage. He just wants the advertising dollars that come from the link backs to piracy material.

its not secure in that your data can be decrypted by Dropbox staff if they decide to or are directed to by law. Mega cant decrypt your files, even if they are ordered to, no matter what. thats where the extra protection comes from.

this defeats the "we cant decrypt your files even if we wanted to" security feature. If they could reset your password, that means that they have the ability to change the key that encrypts your files. If they have that ability, then they can also necessarily decrypt your files, either for fun or if directed to by some government.

your cellphone number or email address adds no protection against the host decrypting your files. its IMPOSSIBLE to have a password reset function AND have the host unable to access your files. either they have access or they dont. there is no middle.

Ok, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant encrypted from the rest of us, not encrypted from Mega themselves.

So mega doesn't have things like syncing and crap, it's because it's a pirate site duh it's not competing for the same market place. It's just a data dump where you shit out all the cracks, tv shows, movies, wares etc. Mean to be just put up there and forget.

MOTHERFUCKING WIN!

exactly. Why can't you guys see this as just being another front for piracy.

Kim dotcom doesn't give a shit about data storage. He just wants the advertising dollars that come from the link backs to piracy material.

As a law student, I can say this has implication far beyond privacy, most notably, secured digital information storage that you can access from anywhere. You other options are an encrypted hard drive that you carry around with you, but then you run into issues with physical vulnerabilities, in terms of information acquisition via hardware hacks and destruction of the physical drive. Even if you never need such a locked down safe for your files, it's nice to have the comfort.

As a law student, I can say this has implication far beyond privacy, most notably, secured digital information storage that you can access from anywhere. You other options are an encrypted hard drive that you carry around with you, but then you run into issues with physical vulnerabilities, in terms of information acquisition via hardware hacks and destruction of the physical drive. Even if you never need such a locked down safe for your files, it's nice to have the comfort.

Enterprises are never going to have secured digital storage through this guy. I can't see many consumers needing things outside of bitlocker.

I personally wouldn't trust it. It isn't established and what is to say it doesn't get shut down again. Just because they can't charge him with anything doesn't mean they won't try to raid the facility again. And who is to say anyone is going to want to use this service unless it has 100 percent uptime?

Enterprises are never going to have secured digital storage through this guy. I can't see many consumers needing things outside of bitlocker.

I personally wouldn't trust it. It isn't established and what is to say it doesn't get shut down again. Just because they can't charge him with anything doesn't mean they won't try to raid the facility again. And who is to say anyone is going to want to use this service unless it has 100 percent uptime?

Who's to say any service has 100 percent uptime?

And yes, just because they can't charge him doesn't mean they won't try to raid him, but the same is for other file sharing sights. Not to mention that he was very good on abiding by takedown notices, he still got raided. It should show you how low the gov't has gotten.

Some people don't know what bitlocker is. This is an easy alternative. What? it's not possible to read with out the key and only I have it? Just upload it? Sounds good to me.

I think it's odd that in a review you would bash a new competitor for not having the features and capabilities that the established players, who have been around for years, have. Give the guy a few days.

I think it's odd that in a review you would bash a new competitor for not having the features and capabilities that the established players, who have been around for years, have. Give the guy a few days.

Except that ole fatty isn't new to the field ;).

i saw a recent interview with Kim (Google it) where I believed him. He said his software (algorithm) is open source. His goal is to get ALL internet traffic in both directions encrypted, to neuter government or corporate snooping. Who could blame him? All we have to do is make sure our browsers are using https all the time. He added he designed it for Html 5, so therefore use Chrome bc it is fully Html 5 compatible. You can't upload folders with FF I guess. I like the syncing from DB, but I find myself using the browser most of the time anyway so not having that yet is no big deal,
Also interestingly enough in this interview, he defended Megaupload said it was always about avoiding the email file attachment limits way back when. Only the USA is all bent out of shape, and that everyone has to tick the box that says you can't upload copyrighted stuff so he shouldn't be responsible just like Google isn't responsible for what it does, which is make money only off of the links to content. Google doesn't create content, it just links to it. I'm paraphrasing badly. They also turn over your info to authorities if asked 88% of the time.

i saw a recent interview with Kim (Google it) where I believed him. He said his software (algorithm) is open source. His goal is to get ALL internet traffic in both directions encrypted, to neuter government or corporate snooping. Who could blame him? All we have to do is make sure our browsers are using https all the time. He added he designed it for Html 5, so therefore use Chrome bc it is fully Html 5 compatible. You can't upload folders with FF I guess. I like the syncing from DB, but I find myself using the browser most of the time anyway so not having that yet is no big deal,
Also interestingly enough in this interview, he defended Megaupload said it was always about avoiding the email file attachment limits way back when. Only the USA is all bent out of shape, and that everyone has to tick the box that says you can't upload copyrighted stuff so he shouldn't be responsible just like Google isn't responsible for what it does, which is make money only off of the links to content. Google doesn't create content, it just links to it. I'm paraphrasing badly. They also turn over your info to authorities if asked 88% of the time.

Except that isn't even the same. Google is a search engine and they generate revenue through ad space on the open spaces in the search window. They also generate money by being the top of the google search.

Its like making an argument for having a Car when no one has built roads.

Megaupload was a website which just like any other hosting website you could upload material too. The problem with the little check box is that people hosting illegal materially really don't give a shit about that check box.

And it wasn't like Kim Dotcom was proactively taking steps to remove the content. Why would he? More illegal file shares at your site increases traffic which in turn generates ad revenue.

Try it out sometime. You create a website and when you get a website that generates maybe 10 million clicks a day, see how much you can start charging ad space. Simple economics.

And before you rebutt the "well he didn't have to remove the content proactively, that is bullshit"

That would be like me opening a bar in the worst part of town and when there are 20 shootings in a year at my bar telling the county "well I shouldn't have to take steps to bring in security it isn't me shooting the people".

And before you rebutt the "well he didn't have to remove the content proactively, that is bullshit"

That would be like me opening a bar in the worst part of town and when there are 20 shootings in a year at my bar telling the county "well I shouldn't have to take steps to bring in security it isn't me shooting the people".

He said he removed files as requested and couldn't have found all the illegal files on his own "proactively" (millions of them compared to your analogy of 20 bad patrons a year), and was trying to be proactive, because of the sheer volume of files moving around on Megaupload.

wow, that writer is a moron!

All three go further by letting you do so from a wide range of browsers. Mega warns that using anything other than Google's Chrome browser is bound to cause problems. That includes Microsoft's Internet Explorer, which comes with every Windows computer, and Apple's Safari, which comes with Mac machines. Chrome comes with, well, Chromebook machines, which few people have. Mega says it's pushing the envelope with technology that other browsers lack, and it offers links when using other browsers to download and install Chrome.

He said he removed files as requested and couldn't have found all the illegal files on his own "proactively" (millions of them compared to your analogy of 20 bad patrons a year), and was trying to be proactive, because of the sheer volume of files moving around on Megaupload.

Its not like the guy was hurting for money, if he couldn't had done it on his own he should have hired more people to do it for him.

My point in the analogy is that he was responsible for removing the files and as proactive as he was it wasn't good enough. Plus I still feel like he wasn't spending time to do it.

Come on when a new movie drops that people want to download that generates a lot of traffic for megaupload. I doubt he was removing every file.

Its not like the guy was hurting for money, if he couldn't had done it on his own he should have hired more people to do it for him.

My point in the analogy is that he was responsible for removing the files and as proactive as he was it wasn't good enough. Plus I still feel like he wasn't spending time to do it. /QUOTE]

of course I don't think he anticipated having been raided by the us gov., nor should he have (especially after every member of MU had ticked the TOS box already). And it's impossible to know if an army of employees could have discovered all the allegedly infringing files fast enough for the U.S. anyway.

Come on when a new movie drops that people want to download that generates a lot of traffic for megaupload. I doubt he was removing every file.

I doubt he could have done that even if he had tried harder or worked faster. "Oh my site is too popular, too big now for me to fully make absolutely perfectly legal (on a daily basis) in the eyes of a tyrannical foreign government office, so i should just pull the plug on it maybe, and pack my bags and disappear before they get me (and ALL my money, n cars, n home)!"

highly unrealistic.

Back