Fired For Facebook Picture

HardOCP News

[H] News
This brilliant teacher thought it would be funny to post a picture on Facebook of her seventh grade class with duct tape over their mouths. Hilarity did not ensue.

Melissa Cairns, a middle school math teacher at Buchtel Community Learning Center, has been on unpaid administrative leave after an Akron public schools worker noticed a photo posted on Facebook of a group of students with duct tape across their mouths. The caption on the photo: "Finally found a way to get them to be quiet!!!"

lol I think it's pretty funny. I guess the school is no place for a sense of humor.

Was it done to be mean? No. As a parent, I would laugh. If it were done seriously to keep them quiet - yea, I'd have a shit fit.

Of course, 99% of the parents would not be as easy going as I am. She was riding the fine line there. I wouldn't do anything close to that. You can bet your ass someone would complain and it would be looked at negatively. Even if one or two parents have no problem with it, the rest would.

Welcome to reality ... if you are in a job where you work for the public you better get used to a very low tolerance of any shenanigans ... no different than if you work for a company in a role where you interface with folks outside the company they will hold you to a higher standard than if you are a lab boy and nobody knows you from Adam ;)

Anyone bother to read the article?

The teach DID NOT apply duck tape to the kids mouths.

There was a quasi legitimate reason for the kids to have the duck tape, and duck tape is hardly a weapon of mass destruction.

The children put the duck tape ON THEMSELVES.

The teacher saw it, thought it was funny, and posted it on facebook.

The board DOES NOT care about the duck tape, they care that she posted pictures of children online without consent.

Between this and kids getting suspended for telling someone they're going to shoot them with a bubble gun, I think our schools have gone way overboard.

The sad thing is she was probably a good teacher and was just having a little fun with her students. I mean yeah it was stupid to post something like that on facebook but it's not like she hurt anyone. administrative leave without pay for a couple of weeks would be more than enough punishment IMO.

There was a quasi legitimate reason for the kids to have the duck tape, and duck tape is hardly a weapon of mass destruction.

The board DOES NOT care about the duck tape, they care that she posted pictures of children online without consent.

*Tom Hanks*
There's no common sense on the internet!
*Tom Hanks*

It sounded to me that the duct tape wasn't the problem. They are questioning the privacy of the kids since she posted their picture to public space with or without their consent.

It's funny, all of those kids' parents probably have posted 2000 pictures each of those kids on Facebook. (Which is half of the reason I hate Facebook. No one thinks your damn kids are as cute as you think they are.) It's amazing how up-in-arms some uptight idiots can get when there is literally zero harm done.

Yep, the article says so right away.

Jason Haas, president of the Akron Board of Education, said the case raises questions about students' privacy and social media.
"This is the start of my sixth year on the board. In that time, we haven't had a case come before us for potential disciplinary action for posting a picture to social media websites," said Haas. "Has she violated the students' privacy? That's what we're concerned about. Everyone seems to be focused on the duct tape."

Yeah, parents probably didn't think it was funny either.

How someone so smart would think she wouldn't get fired over something this stupid is beyond me.

That is exactly what is wrong with schools now, humiliation is an effective tool for correction. If those kids were disruptive and preventing the rest of the class from learning I think its better than sending them out of class. At least they are still getting the lessons whilst having to be quiet.

I have to wonder if they'd be making as big a deal of this if the photo in question had been a group photo taken at, say a museum, on a field trip. I'm betting no one would have given a shit. They can say it's not about the duct tape all they want, this looks like a witch hunt to me.

As far as the information in the article, i see nothing wrong. At all. Of course when i was in school you could have tape put over your mouth, you could get spanked, etc. All in all children were better behaved back then, because they knew they could and would get punished.

It's funny, all of those kids' parents probably have posted 2000 pictures each of those kids on Facebook. (Which is half of the reason I hate Facebook. No one thinks your damn kids are as cute as you think they are.) It's amazing how up-in-arms some uptight idiots can get when there is literally zero harm done.

The difference is the parent has the right to post their own kids' pictures. The teacher does not.

People are going to do dumb things with or without Facebook....but there are all kinds of good reasons to stay away from it.

shoulda had a caption saying "No children were harmed in the miking of this intentionally comical photo"

I mean its like that coffee is hot on a mcdonalds coffee lid right.. people have to be reminded of what should be obvious.

50 years ago you could beat kids with a 2x4 all day long in class, now you can't even post a picture on the interwebz

Good. She should get fired. You don't just wake up one day and decide to become a 7th grade teacher... it requires training, education, planning etc etc. She decided for herself to pursue a vocation that has gone batshit. If you want to be a teacher, especially, a 7-12 teacher, you have to know what you are walking into and decide if the risk of being fired at any moment over some silly shit and having to change careers over insane administrators or snowflake having parents is worth it.

I think we should railroad more teachers this way. Are you a teacher and you post or someone digs up a facebook pic from 10 years ago of you holding a beer in college: That's a firing. Tweet some snide remark: That's a firing. Give a student advice that isn't of an academic nature: That's a firing.

Really crack down on that profession so that only the dregs of society, martyrs and child molesters want to work in our schools. Then when they ask why our kids are so stupid, you can reply, "I done ah, owww my bawls is on."

shoulda had a caption saying "No children were harmed in the miking of this intentionally comical photo"

I mean its like that coffee is hot on a mcdonalds coffee lid right.. people have to be reminded of what should be obvious.

Every year, I am provided with a list of students who may not be photographed (outside of the official yearbook photo), interviewed, or otherwise make contact with the media. This stems largely from issues related to custody problems and limiting the ability of non-custodial entities to potentially locate the children in question.

When my kids make the cut for All Region band, I am required to have a signed parent consent form to have their picture put in the newspaper. No form, no picture.

When you see a child scream and run for cover because they thought they saw Daddy walk past the classroom window (having tracked them down after being released from prison), these "ridiculous" privacy issues aren't so frivolous. I hope to God none of you ever have to spend half an hour calming a child in that state of shock, and I hope a misplaced picture that was "too cute to pass up" doesn't put a kid in harm's way.

I see nothing wrong. These same kids probably have cig's in many of their mouths (shares), Alcohol in them (shares bottles).

WTF?

Duct tape is cool. Tards.

The real issue was about the kids' privacy. I know first hand that there are parents with seriously legit reasons to keep their kids' picture out of the media. In some cases the kids'/parent's lives would be endangered or they'd be put at risk of kidnapping by a crazy ex and/or their family members.

It's because everyones a celebrity and the whole world cares about and idolizes everyone.

In reality, no one gives a crap if your house is on Google streetview or will even care about everything else you do.

Every year, I am provided with a list of students who may not be photographed (outside of the official yearbook photo), interviewed, or otherwise make contact with the media. This stems largely from issues related to custody problems and limiting the ability of non-custodial entities to potentially locate the children in question.

When my kids make the cut for All Region band, I am required to have a signed parent consent form to have their picture put in the newspaper. No form, no picture.

When you see a child scream and run for cover because they thought they saw Daddy walk past the classroom window (having tracked them down after being released from prison), these "ridiculous" privacy issues aren't so frivolous. I hope to God none of you ever have to spend half an hour calming a child in that state of shock, and I hope a misplaced picture that was "too cute to pass up" doesn't put a kid in harm's way.

As a father of two young children.

You don't punish the majority for the problems of an extreme minority. That is nothing more than over reactionary bullshit schools are using these days. People aren't going to stop living in fear if stupid crap like this doesn't stop getting shoved in their faces. Intelligent people would be coming up with methods to handle individual cases, not throwing schools into martial law lock downs. This kind of crap is the crutch of the people who live their lives cowering in fear at every little thing.

I fight my child's school constantly over insane crap like this. The amount of complete bullshit I have to put up with out of them is insane. Our parents never had to put up with this level of insanity and neither should we.

This is what is considered news worthy when people are not killing each other...damn you gun control

:)

It would be cool if all the kids in the school did it and posted it on a facebook page on the teachers they didn't like in retaliation.

How someone so smart would think she wouldn't get fired over something this stupid is beyond me.

Teachers seem to, once they become teachers allow themselves to ease into the culture where they are not expected to think anymore, because i already know how to teach your 4th grader math so..

Im home schooling. No point in dragging my kid out of the house in pitch black freezing weather so they can learn some basic math science and left wing social studies. Not to mention they wont have white guilt...

The real issue was about the kids' privacy. I know first hand that there are parents with seriously legit reasons to keep their kids' picture out of the media. In some cases the kids'/parent's lives would be endangered or they'd be put at risk of kidnapping by a crazy ex and/or their family members.

Well, I say they might as well learn young that when you become an adult, you lose any and all rights to privacy. Why should we have different standards for different people?

Teachers seem to, once they become teachers allow themselves to ease into the culture where they are not expected to think anymore, because i already know how to teach your 4th grader math so..

Im home schooling. No point in dragging my kid out of the house in pitch black freezing weather so they can learn some basic math science and left wing social studies. Not to mention they wont have white guilt...

Yes, because socializing with other children of different racial and ethnic backgrounds has no value in becoming good, well-rounded, and worldly, children, people, and citizens. That "white guilt" comment really says a lot.

I personally think the demonizing of teachers, especially public school teachers in our country is disturbing. Keep it up, and we will really become that setting in that movie Idiocracy.

lmao, i wouldve laughed.

over sensitive cry babies looking to sue and complain and gossip because theyre miserable and have no other way to take out their pent up aggression and depression theyve built up at home

When my wife taught elementary school, she said she could take pictures as long as the kids faces were not shown on the picture. weird!

As a society, we have collectively lost our fucking minds. Does anyone else think that this seems to echo the tragedy that caused Aaron Schwartz to Commit suicide?

While I can understand the school's position of protecting the privacy of it's students, the discussion of termination is ridiculous, the punishment should fit the crime. The teacher should be given a written warning, nothing more. Especially in light of the media attention, it's unlikely that the teacher will ever do this again, and neither will anyone else in the district for that matter....ding problem solved.

jesus christ.

It sounded to me that the duct tape wasn't the problem. They are questioning the privacy of the kids since she posted their picture to public space with or without their consent.
Could be. I volunteer for an organization that works with children. Anything used publicly needs a consent form.

She broke all sorts of rules. I'm not sure how she even thought she could get away with it.

- Children's privacy violated by posting their pictures on the internet? Check.
- Posting pictures of children without their parents consent? Check.
- Child(ren) endangerment putting duct tape over their mouth? Check.

Back