Department of Homeland Security Says Disable Java

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know things are bad when the Department of Homeland Security tells you to disable Java.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is advising people to temporarily disable the Java software on their computers to avoid potential hacking attacks. The recommendation came in an advisory issued late Thursday, following up on concerns raised by computer security experts.

I'm not sure I understand the difference between JDK7 and "installed" java apps that this is calling out. Anyone care to elaborate? For instance, we use WebEx here to connect to some client's PC's. Since WebEx uses Java would that be affected as well?

If I disable java my mornings will be worse off. (no one laughs)

What are the java alternatives? (seriously)
Is it java or nothing?

I Srsly LOLd at this.

What? The fact Java has another issue or that there are people that need helping understanding the difference between JDK7 and Java installed apps?

If the former, yes, it's laughable. Keep in mind though, absolutely nothing is safe that is digital. Nothing. If it was made by mankind it can be undone by mankind. Still though, yes, laughable in the sense it's hot on the tails of the previous major security flaw.

What? The fact Java has another issue or that there are people that need helping understanding the difference between JDK7 and Java installed apps?

If the former, yes, it's laughable. Keep in mind though, absolutely nothing is safe that is digital. Nothing. If it was made by mankind it can be undone by mankind. Still though, yes, laughable in the sense it's hot on the tails of the previous major security flaw.

No....at the idea that the same people who brought us the worthless color-coded alert system finally got the idea through that Java is shit.

If I disable java my mornings will be worse off. (no one laughs)

What are the java alternatives? (seriously)
Is it java or nothing?

Keep in mind that this is in regards to the full blown Sun (oracle?) Java JRE.

There should be no need to disable javascript.

No....at the idea that the same people who brought us the worthless color-coded alert system finally got the idea through that Java is shit.

Java is fantastic for certain things.

If you need raw number crunching performance then it is not for you (though performance has been closing with compiled C code for some time now due to better and better runtime optimizations)

The reason it is great lies with C and C++ requiring you to manually address memory blocks. This is where some 80% of all C++ bugs happen, because quite frankly it is a huge pain in the ass to do, and people make mistakes.

By coding software in Java in those instances where raw number-crunching performance is not necessarily needed - you thus cut down on development time and cost, which can lead to cheaper software for the end user, and in many cases, can make software available, that otherwise simply wouldn't be because of the relative ease of use and lower cost of developing in Java.

Java is by no means perfect, but it definitely has its place in the software development landscape. (though Scala seems better if you ask me)

Yes, disable Java so your business can't operate! Great idea! ;8)

Java has a monthly mega-critical hole, .NET is 10 years old and still hasn't had one.
Flash has a monthly mega-critical hole, Silverlight is 5 years old and still hasn't had one.

Say what you will about Microsoft, but the numbers don't lie...

True I agree with inorganicmatter.

I hate Microsoft for several reasons, but they wouldn't be as successful as they are if they weren't doing things right.

I think the difference is the reporting and fixing mechanisms. MS has that figured out whereas a lot of smaller shops struggle with it.

Fuck Java seriously I am done with that shit. Been done with it.

It's like Adobe and all their bullshit. You're practically forced to use their software if you want to fully experience the internet and I'm sick of it. I look forward to the day the internet completely flushes these two piece of shit existences down the toilet.

Fuck Java seriously I am done with that shit. Been done with it.

It's like Adobe and all their bullshit. You're practically forced to use their software if you want to fully experience the internet and I'm sick of it. I look forward to the day the internet completely flushes these two piece of shit existences down the toilet.

Again, you are confusing JavaScript (not affected) with the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) which IS affected.

You don't need JRE to view javascript webpages and enjoy the net. I use Chrome as my primary browser, and I don't even have the JRE installed on my machine, yet all javascript enabled pages (like Gmail, Facebook, etc.) work just fine.

This totally stinks and it's what we get for making programmers cheaper. Software development should be agonizing, expensive, and even small projects should take decades for a large team of experts to complete. Java ruins the economy by devaluing developers, developers, developers and is pretty much impossible to secure because of how its designed to operate. Stupid Sun Microsystems for coming up with it and stupid Oracle for not pulling the plug on it!

True I agree with inorganicmatter.

I hate Microsoft for several reasons, but they wouldn't be as successful as they are if they weren't doing things right.

There's successful today because of their near monopoly yesterday. And the day before. And so on. They started with a near monopoly because IBM picked them for their low cost desktop.

Mix in some anti-competative practices and you can easily keep that monopoly going indefinitely.

Uninstall java in the control panel / programs and features
enable java-script inside the web browser

up until recently i assumed they were the same thing......i was wrong.

So it's only Java 7 right? I'm on Java 6-37. Just some random stuff I got that runs it, not even sure what anymore. Probably stuff for classes when I was in school.

So it's only Java 7 right? I'm on Java 6-37. Just some random stuff I got that runs it, not even sure what anymore. Probably stuff for classes when I was in school.

The problem is with version 7 and everything under. I'm thinking about uninstalling it. I'm just not sure what programs use it.

There have been plenty of people over the last year or two talking about serious issues with this. Now that the government says something, it's getting traction.

C# FTW

I know C# is finally on the rise but it's taking too long. Java is a horrid language to work with! Java is of an old generation (equal to C/C++ in mindset) only alive thanks to the open source community. Then again that's another reason I hate java. To make it passable, 3rd party libraries/sdks/plugins are required but most 3rd party items are not optimized and forget about documentation!

Uninstall it and see what doesn't work after... if you need it at that time, reinstall when you need it and then uninstall/disable after use.

Zarathustra[H];1039514237 said:
Java is fantastic for certain things.

If you need raw number crunching performance then it is not for you (though performance has been closing with compiled C code for some time now due to better and better runtime optimizations)

The reason it is great lies with C and C++ requiring you to manually address memory blocks. This is where some 80% of all C++ bugs happen, because quite frankly it is a huge pain in the ass to do, and people make mistakes.

By coding software in Java in those instances where raw number-crunching performance is not necessarily needed - you thus cut down on development time and cost, which can lead to cheaper software for the end user, and in many cases, can make software available, that otherwise simply wouldn't be because of the relative ease of use and lower cost of developing in Java.

Java is by no means perfect, but it definitely has its place in the software development landscape. (though Scala seems better if you ask me)

You may as well be allocating/de-allocating your own memory when you're using the JRE. Every application I've used that has been written in Java leaks like a sieve. The worst offender, SQL Developer, being developed by the same horrible company that develops Java these days. Java may have been a really good, innovative runtime in the 90's... now its antiquated. Its one and only benefit being cross platform development. I'll choose Mono before dealing with the JRE though.

The problem is with version 7 and everything under. I'm thinking about uninstalling it. I'm just not sure what programs use it.

There have been plenty of people over the last year or two talking about serious issues with this. Now that the government says something, it's getting traction.

Uninstall it and see what doesn't work after... if you need it at that time, reinstall when you need it and then uninstall/disable after use.

I see... thought it was only 7. If it's everything below it as well... Guess I'll just kill it for now.

You people shouldn't even be installing Java. Completely worthless, goes unused 99.9% of the time on the internet, only used by some random ass businesses. If your home machine has Java and you're not a Java developer, you shouldn't have it installed. Also, stop confusing Javascript with Java. You can browse all of the internet just fine without Java.

Back