IBM's Watson Gets a 'Swear Filter' for Foul Language

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Making machines more human has long been a goal of computer scientists everywhere. Watson, IBM’s Jeopardy! Playing (and winning) supercomputer might be the closest thing to human interaction on a computer level…. maybe just a little too close to be in the public spotlight. Watson read the ‘Urban Dictionary’ a while back and picked up some rather salty language and phraseology. :D

Watson may have learned the Urban Dictionary, but it never learned the all-important axiom, "There's a time and a place for everything." Watson simply couldn't distinguish polite discourse from profanity.

That's dumb... It's bad enough that people get offended by what other people say. But why have a filter on a machine like that?

If this article were posted on April 1st I would think it was a joke.

Even now I'm having a hard time convincing myself this isn't a prank.

This made me think of the voice that does HAL from the films based on the Arthur C. Clark novels. Wouldn't it be cool if he trash talked dave as he was trying to remove the circuit boards?

This made me think of the voice that does HAL from the films based on the Arthur C. Clark novels. Wouldn't it be cool if he trash talked dave as he was trying to remove the circuit boards?

HAL has the best computer voice ever.

Watson may have learned the Urban Dictionary, but it never learned the all-important axiom, "There's a time and a place for everything." Watson simply couldn't distinguish polite discourse from profanity.

No, it's because Watson is an American computer and it's behaving like a typical American. :D

As a non-American, I support foul language, 24/7. No matter the place. Fuck it.

SO IBM's baby has both Asberger's AND Turret's? :mad:

IBM waited too long to have a kid, seems the cumulative genetic damage to it's electron-sperm from age, was too much... after all IBM is 124 yrs old. Old fuck. :eek::rolleyes::p

No, it's because Watson is an American computer and it's behaving like a typical American. :D

I don't know ... seems that the Irish, all those Limey's across the pond, and the Aussies have a knack for using colorful metaphors to spice up their declaratory statements also :p

Maybe we need more proficient programmers if they can't teach the computer how to use the more creative parts of the language ... I just have this image of the computer talking to its maintenance tech ... "Touch my circuit board again and I will Freakin END YOU" ::eek: :D

Even an AI already knows the beauty of free expression and the use of colorful metaphors.

Spock: Your use of language has altered since our arrival. It is currently laced with, shall we say, more colorful metaphors: "double dumb-ass on you" and so forth.

Kirk: Oh, you mean the profanity?

Spock
: Yes.

Kirk
: Well that's simply the way they talk here. Nobody pays any attention to you unless you swear every other word.

I don't know ... seems that the Irish, all those Limey's across the pond, and the Aussies have a knack for using colorful metaphors to spice up their declaratory statements also...

While other nations have their own problems with social discourse, America is made up of people from nations all over the world. I'm part Irish, my wife is part English and so on and so on...

Our country is the melting pot for global rude and crude. :D

OMG Doug! Someone English married someone Irish! That's got to be illegal someplace on the planet! :D

Back