Apple Is Done, Say Teens

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
According to the latest reports from Buzz Marketing, Apple products are on the way out, so say the prophets of future merchandising: the preferences of young teens. Apple’s success seems to be a generational thing and may be caught up in teen rebellion to anything their parents think as cool.

Buzz Marketing's Tina Wells told Forbes: "Teens are telling us Apple is done. Apple has done a great job of embracing Gen X and older (Millennials), but I don't think they are connecting with Millennial kids."

The first and only accurate Apple thread that HardOcp has ever linked. I say this not because you guys are naturally biased towards Apple itself and it's practices. But because for Hipsters, which one of their favorite brands not only includes Pabst Blue Ribbons and skinny jeans, but for their rebellious nature towards trendy Apple products such as the article describes.

And last I checked, I doubt any Hipsters browse these types of forums.

31962055.jpg

My niece is 16 and all her friends have been getting android phones.
Not one has an apple phone anymore most went from iphone to Samsung s3 that had one.

I'm not in the US so we might be a few years late. Still, while Apple has the fashion lead normal people (adults and non-hipsters) aren't thinking they are the best choice without trying to actually compare. So something actually changed for the better.

I think virtually indestructible phones with 30-day standby time battery capacity are hip

*Sonim XP5300*

I doubt this. Current generation teens like to be coddled and have other people make their decisions for them. The only credence I'd lend to this would be because their parent have iPhones, and someone has shown them a 4.7" screen. And because Apple Maps directed them off a cliff.

Walk around a college campus right now and you'll see witness a 50% apple market share.

There is a difference between 18-19 year old HS graduates and college students, and the 13-17 market.

Yup... Samsung especially had some brilliant advertising aimed at kids about how hip and cool iPhones were.

Apple has not innovated with the iPhone since its inception, they are simply playing catch up to Android devices. People go where the innovation is.

Apple has not innovated with the iPhone since its inception, they are simply playing catch up to Android devices. People go where the innovation is.

That... And with the S3 especially there was a comparative marketing campaign with an established branding.... And with ICS and now JB, Android no longer runs like absolute shit on stock ROMs

I wonder how much money Buzz Marketing received from Microsoft and Samsung for this "research"?

I've had the impression that Apple was the cool kids products? Especially with girls. Android phones and Windows laptops are for suckas. Linux especially.

On my campus you're hard pressed to find students not using Macbooks as their laptop of choice. It's simply the go-to laptop for education and these users will continue to use Apple products into their careers until it becomes apparent that Apple has no new ideas to bring to the industry.

Are teens even Apple's target market? I mean they aim for the consumers that have money to spare which isn't exactly the younger subset.

Hahah going by a Forbes article on tech trends? The insinuation that the Surface is highly desirable among teens?

Excuse me while I lmao in the next room.

Are teens even Apple's target market? I mean they aim for the consumers that have money to spare which isn't exactly the younger subset.

Whether they aimed to or not... Every kid had to have an ipod... And now an Iphone

Apparently teens do have access to some form of large disposable income given the amount of them I see with Iphones

Whether they aimed to or not... Every kid had to have an ipod... And now an Iphone

^Pretty much this.

They know parents give in and buy it for them.. as you can see by the amount of young kids , pre-teens with said i devices.

Well teens can inherit hand me downs as their parents upgrades to a newer version every year. Rather than resell it or trade it in for a few bucks off, might as well keep it and give it to your teen.

I am apple free. I only use iTunes because of my music I bought (That will soon change)

I don't know the teen culture that well, but I hear more and more about how getting your first car isn't as big of a deal. It's not even quite as important to get your driver's license at the earliest age possible anymore. Maybe more is spent on phones than cars now? Why drive somewhere when you can stream and 'see' people in facebook?

Can anyone verify this line of thought?

I don't know the teen culture that well, but I hear more and more about how getting your first car isn't as big of a deal. It's not even quite as important to get your driver's license at the earliest age possible anymore. Maybe more is spent on phones than cars now? Why drive somewhere when you can stream and 'see' people in facebook?

Can anyone verify this line of thought?

In the USA we have 0.648 cars per capita. We have >1 cellular phones per capita in use. Cell phones have clearly replaced cars as our cultural must have.

Is this the same generation that can't write a proper English sentence because they're hardwired to tweet and instant message? "U R my BFF!" yeh.... The same generation that can't hold a normal conversation and prefers to communicate via instant message despite sitting at the same table in a coffee shop.

Will this be the generation that will swells the ranks of low income workers? Hmmm, I bet really dig Walmart and Taco Bell too.

I don't think it has much to do with whats trendy. I bought an iPod and did so because there weren't any remotely comparable products out there.

Their model works in markets where things haven't quite come together yet. They get into trouble when hardware companies are making better hardware and software companies are making better software.

Then they just end up trying to sell a product that isn't as good for more money.

Is this the same generation that can't write a proper English sentence because they're hardwired to tweet and instant message? "U R my BFF!" yeh.... The same generation that can't hold a normal conversation and prefers to communicate via instant message despite sitting at the same table in a coffee shop.

Will this be the generation that will swells the ranks of low income workers? Hmmm, I bet really dig Walmart and Taco Bell too.

I do have a feeling this will replace the lazy, hippy, late baby boner crowd that fought the system so they didn't have to work. I'll be teaching my kid much the same way my mom did me and thats through work ethic and education.

Not going to lie - I don't get the big deal with the whole "kids these days" thing either. Most kids in the 90's were far more unpleasant than most kids I've seen today.

Not going to lie - I don't get the big deal with the whole "kids these days" thing either. Most kids in the 90's were far more unpleasant than most kids I've seen today.

really? i was one of those kids... and kids i see today SUCK.

really? i was one of those kids... and kids i see today SUCK.
Oh, so was I. But I met many horrid kids back in the day, much worse than today. Trouble is, I've got no way to prove it. Information wasn't as easy to send around the world like it is today, you used to have to send VHS to funniest home videos if you wanted to humilate someone, now you can just upload from phones - straight to a massive video hub, where "viral" is a pandemic concept.

Back