Oracle Says Java Update Scheduled for Tuesday

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
We reported to you earlier this week about the flaw in Java and the recommendations and precautions to take to safeguard your computers. Today Oracle announced that in addition to a scheduled update to patch 86 vulnerabilities on Tuesday, the company will also release a fix to the zero-day flaw.

Criminals were using the flaw to stealthily install malware on the computers of users who visit compromised websites. The problem, which affects Oracle Java 7 update 10 and earlier, can allow an untrusted Java applet to escalate its privileges, without requiring code signing.

It still is a bad idea to only do updates quarterly. With their normal track record if it didn't hit national news they would have waited till April to fix the zero day.

I wish they'd hurry up. I'm getting sick of hearing my wife and daughters ask when they can play their online games again.

...Today Oracle announced that in addition to a scheduled update to patch 86 vulnerabilities on Tuesday...

It' like waiting for someone to put a band-aid on a turd so you can have it back and eat it. I don't need Java, they can keep their update.

Just to be perfectly clear: This impacts Java 7 Update 10 and earlier. Meaning, not just Java 7 Update XYZ but Java 6 Update XYZ and so on.

Correct?

Back