President Signs Netflix-Backed Privacy Amendment

HardOCP News

[H] News
Anyone want to bet that, by agreeing to the TOS, "consent to share information" will be automatic or something you have to opt out of?

With his signature on H.R. 6671, Obama approved an amendment to the 1988 Video Privacy Protection Act that allows video rental companies to obtain customer consent to share information about their viewing preferences on social networks such as Facebook.

I would point out that Congress only created the "video privacy protection act" after a certain high-ranking politician's rental habits were leaked by a video store. They don't care about the privacy of the rest of us.

I can see it now...

A button that says:

Click to Continue
and agree to allow us data collection

Ah yes, now Netflix will share viewing preferences and you'll get mature anime mixed with Disney movies suggestions everywhere.

This be funny... In a sad sort of way.

Ah yes, now Netflix will share viewing preferences and you'll get mature anime mixed with Disney movies suggestions everywhere.

This be funny... In a sad sort of way.

:D netflix made me do it.

I can see it now...

A button that says:

Click to Continue
and agree to allow us data collection
We all know that small print would be much much smaller (I realize you can't make it smaller here).

At any rate, this is sure to be a convoluted mess since the gov't is involved.

This wasn't about selling data ... this was about sharing a "I just watched movie so and so" to your Facebook or Google+ account ... although many here aren't into such things it can be a useful feature for some folks ... it isn't much different than the Amazon feature that allows you to direct post a "I just bought a thingawhatsit from Amazon" on your social network account ;)

Back