The CES Cesspool Is Our Own Fault

HardOCP News

[H] News
Heh, this guy said "CES cesspool." That's headline of the day right there. ;)

What I like to do in these situations is imagine the meeting in which these products are pitched. Did Dilbert teach us nothing? Someone -- with their serious face on -- has to call a meeting where they sit down and say "You know what would be really cool? We need to build a fridge that has an Android tablet embedded in it."

He left out the shitty Android watch that is $400 and runs like shit.

I felt that was a well written article.

Course, it all stems from the meetings where someone says "Hey, let's do this thingy here!" And, nobody in the meeting has the pair to say "Hey, that idea blows. GTFO!"

We're all team players now. :rolleyes:

That was quite the entertaining read, I am especially laughing at how seamlessly he managed to insert a Win 8 slam into that.

He absolutely nailed it.

I am just flabbergasted by bizarre products that actually make it to production. I really wonder if nearly everyone at these companies are utterly out of touch with reality, or if they have an entire company of Yes-Men afraid to say no.

He actually highlighted one of my favorite braindead items. The Asus Tiachi, with the screen on the inside and outside the lid. How does anyone think that merits production?

More like the mob mentality that happens when you get a bunch of people together. Even though the designers have college educations and lots of money and resources, they aren't any different from a bunch of drunk Joes sitting around a table at a bar thinking up random crap.

Alright, I have to argue with the author a bit. We built a new house and moved in in May of last year. We purchased the previous model Samsung Fridge with the 'Android Tablet' built in. We got it for $2,400 from Lowes. This thing is pretty cool, it shows you the weather in your area with the forecast for the day, and you can look up the next weeks worth of weather. It syncs with your Gmail account and shows you your calendar on the screen which is great for the family. It can play Pandora, you can write notes on it (or draw pictures like my kids do)...

It really does have some useful apps, and I like it. Now I wouldn't have spent the $3799.99 list price for it though, but the tech does make sense to me.

What this guy forgot is that necessity might be the best driving force for invention but it isn't the only.

Samsung with a 4k fridge isn't manufacturing it because it is the next big thing in temperature controlled food items. They are making for the few people with money to burn that are feature hunting.

Asus on the other hand is always developing niche items. They are not set out to be the next dell. They make enough parts for Dell. They want to make sure they fill in all the gaps while growing their name. They love making weird shit. Hell they created ASRock before spinning them off to do just that.

I am not a fan of the adding a clock to it type inventor. But cool things that people want can happen when you have someone coming up with a weird idea and a company allows him to play around with it.

Course, it all stems from the meetings where someone says "Hey, let's do this thingy here!" And, nobody in the meeting has the pair to say "Hey, that idea blows. GTFO!"

I tell everyone stuff sucks and they're morons... Then they get annoyed and go ask other people. Problem is, there's enough people in the world that even if 1 in a million like it, there's still 7000 people who agree with you. :D

"A Solution in search of a problem"

I maybe late to the party knowing this saying, but I'm glad I ran across it.
Going to remember this when I'm doing any kind of brainstorming for innovation.

After reading that article I came up with something so simple yet it doesn't exist for some reason. I wonder who in the world I could talk to to make it.

Did they really haul those fridges to CES? Because they are not exactly new. When I bought my house in mid-2011 they had fridges with tablets in the door, pretty much exactly like the ones in the screenshot, maybe a little smaller.

Not all demonstrations at these events are intended to ever become full products. Sometimes they'll show designs or devices that demonstrate an idea that they don't intend to go into production. Sometimes they just want you to talk about their company.

Othertimes they'll show a product that isn't fully finished and will never be released, but lays the groundwork for a future device.

And finally, they have products that are completely insane.

Honestly, it's like any other convention.

meetingsdemotivator.jpg

:D

Ok, an android tablet with a camera with Out Of Milk app could at least build a shopping list, which you can sync to a phone to go shopping with. Other than that, it could display the weather forecast for the week. I used an Audrey and a small win pc to do that for years, they just took up counter space.

Back