DIY Smartphone Interface For Older Cars

HardOCP News

[H] News
Stuff like this really makes you wonder why no one has come up with this idea before.

After scanning your car's onboard computers, the little black box pairs with your smart phone and offers a choice of key fob designs on the screen. Choose the one that most resembles your car's original fob, and you're ready to go. Essentially, the smartphone app replaces all of the functions of your fob. Honk the panic button, open the doors, remote start, etc. Using the OBDII connection, Delphi's gadget can also be used as an error code scanner.

Pricing of the Connected Car, to be sold by Verizon, as well as the service fees, haven't been determined.

fuck-that-bitch-scared-yao.png

Screw older cars, i'd put that on my current vehicle. But the above makes it sound like you have to pay for a subscription to use it

"Pricing of the Connected Car, to be sold by Verizon, as well as the service fees, haven't been determined."

fuck-that-bitch-scared-yao.png

Yeah, fully agreed here.

Sounded like it could be cool, until they mentioned that carriers would get involved, and there would be service fees.

No thanks.

It does not surprise me that Delphi is coming out with this. They make a lot of OE security and control modules for manufacturers. I their logo on a lot of PATS modules we work on.

bummer, that sounded great until i read "carriers"... bummer. Can't I just pay $100 for it and be good to go??? Argh

It's already been said, but I was all excited until I saw the mention of Verizon. Guess I'll have to wait for the Chinese, Bluetooth only copy...

It's already been said, but I was all excited until I saw the mention of Verizon. Guess I'll have to wait for the Chinese, Bluetooth only copy...

Unless you can buy it, and just not use the carrier option:

article said:
If you're trying to unlock your car deep within your underground bunker and have no cell service, the Connected Car also includes a Bluetooth module. Once paired, cell service isn't needed for most of the basic functions.

It would depend on how limited the "basic functions" are.

There has been an app out to do this for a long time

Torque $4.95 and you just buy an OBD reader adapter, its not that expensive

Yeah pretty much this. Just my phone and a $13 bluetooth OBDII scanner. Just in case no one knew, This will work with most cars made after 96.

that's fine for ODB error codes & GPS while your phone is in the car while it's moving.

however, this doesn't let you track the car from anywhere in the world, or see where your kids drove, how fast they drove, get alerts when RPM's exceed a certain threshold, etc.

pretty cool app for cheap, but with only a fraction of the capabilites of the Delphi unit

that's fine for ODB error codes & GPS while your phone is in the car while it's moving.

however, this doesn't let you track the car from anywhere in the world, or see where your kids drove, how fast they drove, get alerts when RPM's exceed a certain threshold, etc.

pretty cool app for cheap, but with only a fraction of the capabilites of the Delphi unit

ok, so i guess the real difference is the Delphi unit is like plugging a cell phone into your car and giving you remote access to the data and some control. ( wonder how long till they implement 'bandwith caps'? How do I discipline my car for texting too much? )

There are other OBD units that allow tracking on the web, they are pretty cool, cost between 100 and 150

I saw "older cars" and was disappointed to see "older" cars by their definition have on board computers :p

I saw "older cars" and was disappointed to see "older" cars by their definition have on board computers :p

Of all the cars that I have owned, the two that were the oldest when I got rid of them were 6 and 7 years old repectively.

I've never owned a car older than 7 years, or with more than ~130k miles.

They start to creak, groan, rattle and smell, and wind up costing too much to maintain beyond that point.

So, yes. To me, anything made before ~2005, really is an older car. :p

Zarathustra[H];1039499198 said:
Of all the cars that I have owned, the two that were the oldest when I got rid of them were 6 and 7 years old repectively.

They start to creak, groan, rattle and smell, and wind up costing too much to maintain beyond that point.

Of all the cars I've owned, the newest was 15 years old when I bought it (a cheap run-around Saturn which I'll dump in a year). It's also the only car I've ever owned that is younger than me :D The 2nd newest car (which is my daily driver back in Oz) was 28 years old when I bought it, and is currently 33 years old, going in to it's 34th year. The other car I owned and have now sold was 35 years old when I sold it. The car I'm currently looking at buying is a 42 year old Corvette :D

So the only car I've ever owned with an on board computer or ABS or fuel injection or airbags for that matter is the 15 year old Saturn, and that was only because I needed something quick smart and couldn't wait to find a nice older car instead :)

All my old cars cost a pittance to keep on the road compared to pretty much anyone I know with newer cars (that may change with the 1970 Corvette though :p).

Also if your cars smell after 6 or 7 years I think that's a problem with you and who you let in to your car more than the car's problem, lol.

I just use these http://aeroforcetech.com/
There Gauges that run off your OBDII port. I have 2 of them and anything the OBDII can send out these can read and show. Gauges can read check engine codes and reset them Been running them for about 2-3 years now work great.

You ever try maintaining it? Does wonders..I have a 98 eclipse that is in better shape than when it was new. Of course it is just a weekend toy, but the point remains. Also I have never had a car cost me more to maintain than a monthly payment and the higher insurance, and I have owned a bunch of cars. Currently have a couple 2011's in addition to my 98.

You either need to take better care of your cars, or buy a more reliable brand ;)

I'm still driving a 2002 Camry, and it's never been in the shop other than normal maintenace (oil/tires/belts/smog check/etc)

Only repairs have been a few light bulbs, a relay for the Air Conditioner, and a motor mount, all easy fixes I did myself. The motor mount was a few months ago and took me the longest to fix at about 15 minutes.

Of all the cars I've owned, the newest was 15 years old when I bought it (a cheap run-around Saturn which I'll dump in a year). It's also the only car I've ever owned that is younger than me :D The 2nd newest car (which is my daily driver back in Oz) was 28 years old when I bought it, and is currently 33 years old, going in to it's 34th year. The other car I owned and have now sold was 35 years old when I sold it. The car I'm currently looking at buying is a 42 year old Corvette :D

So the only car I've ever owned with an on board computer or ABS or fuel injection or airbags for that matter is the 15 year old Saturn, and that was only because I needed something quick smart and couldn't wait to find a nice older car instead :)

All my old cars cost a pittance to keep on the road compared to pretty much anyone I know with newer cars (that may change with the 1970 Corvette though :p).

Come on now. Don't hate on the Saturn :p. I own a 99 SC1, A 91 GST eclipse and a chenoweth sand rail with a 1970 1600cc super beetle engine. I love that saturn and it currently has 212xxx miles and no mechanical problems. Well besides the engine mounts. I use tourque with it. Its pretty cool.

Shit my mom has been driving a 93 SL2 saturn. It has 320xxx miles and still runs just fine.

Any intelligent kid would unplug from the OBD2 port, that doesn't look discrete by any means. I would personally like to see a dash gauge replacement kit that allows all these functions and allows the addition of aftermarket sensors and controls.

Back