ASUS Releases the Limited Edition ROG ARES II

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS ROG presents the fastest and most powerful graphics card currently available with the limited edition ARES II. Its dual Radeon™ HD 7970 GHz Edition GPUs and 6GB GDDR5 memory support provide the ultimate PC gaming experience in a space-saving 2-slot design. The ARES II features exclusive ASUS DIGI+ VRM and Super Alloy Power technologies for greater stability and product longevity. The bundled ROG Edition GPU Tweak utility allows customers direct access to graphics card overclocking and tuning options via a user-friendly interface.

Continuing the ARES legacy with collectible hardware for enthusiasts:
Launched in the summer of 2010, the original ROG ARES provided a new milestone in graphics power that soon became an in-demand commodity among hardware enthusiasts and collectors. ARES II likewise debuts as a limited edition product, with only 1000 units produced. It ships in a special ROG-themed case, with each card featuring a laser-etched serial number on the aluminum backplate to denote its collectible status.

New thermal cooling design enables maximum performance:
ARES II provides a custom cooler that utilizes liquid and air cooling to achieve drastically improved heat dissipation over reference design cards. The hybrid design consists of a closed-cycle liquid system with dual 120mm fans and a radiator block that easily fits in most PC cases. The card itself includes an 80mm dust-proof fan to enable additional cooling for critical components such as video memory and power delivery components. The new design assures continuous stability even under full load, and achieves up to 31C cooler operation compared to a reference GTX 690. ARES II features a 2-slot height design, making it accessible to most PC cases on the market.

DIGI+ VRM, Super Alloy Power, and GPU Tweak provide unparalleled power:
Exclusive ASUS DIGI+ digital voltage regulation technology provides precise power delivery to bolster graphics card stability and help increase overclocking flexibility. The 20-phase Super Alloy Power architecture, consisting of heavy duty solid state capacitors, high quality chokes and MOSFETs can withstand higher temperatures and stress loads than typical designs while providing a much longer lifespan. Users can modify card parameters including core and memory speeds, fan performance, and voltages using the bundled ROG Edition GPU Tweak utility, all via a user-friendly interface. Multiple profiles for individual games and applications can also be set up, and GPU Tweak doubles as a monitoring program for keeping an eye on ARES II temperatures and power consumption levels.

1100Mhz boost stock and 1.1Ghz faster RAM? This makes the DEVIL13 look like a pile of crap.

mother of god

65456_185357234813876_1363860_n.jpg

Wow that's just badass. Just seems like it's a little late to the party. With next gen cards just around the bend...

3x 8-pin! Wow:eek:

edit: nvm, I didn't even realize this was a dual-gpu card. Wow

Last edited:
Wow that's just badass. Just seems like it's a little late to the party. With next gen cards just around the bend...
ASUS did the same thing the last generation with the Mars 2; these are more like a "let's see what we can do" cards produced in very limited quantities.

Better hope you are able to run this card with another single 7970..

cause amd's quad-fire support is horrendous.

Cudos to AMD for allowing partners to do some of this stuff, though. The reason you don't see this done with 680's is cause Nvidia is being completely STUPID and not allowing it.

Better hope you are able to run this card with another single 7970..

cause amd's quad-fire support is horrendous.

Cudos to AMD for allowing partners to do some of this stuff, though. The reason you don't see this done with 680's is cause Nvidia is being completely STUPID and not allowing it.

Yeah, I do not understand why nVidia isnt allowing ANYONE to do voltage tweaking and whatnot. Totally ruins cards like a Classified 680.

This card is pretty dang badass, would go perfect in my system at home, I have the H100 up in the roof, and could mount this card's rad on the rear fan spot. I am sure its going to be very expensive, but it is definitely a pretty sweet product. I wonder how far you could overclock, with late-production Tahiti GPU's, a beefy VRM, and built in watercooling I bet 1200+ gpu clocks are going to be fairly easily attained. That would be smoking fast!

What Asus won't do to video cards... Don't really want one, but I am really curious how effective that cooler is given its relatively small area for 2 GPUs. [H] review for kicks?

Hmmm one of these in a mini-itx build.. thinking a LL-Q18, with this mounted in the front and an H80 mounted up top for the CPU. Ideas Ideas

OMFG! SO pretty! 2 slot design & quiet to boot! Only thing missing is an extra 6GB to make it a 12GB card!

Only 1000 made :(

Most probably out of my price range right now, but so pretty... (Especially with the rumored delay to release the 8xxx cards due to high inventory levels...)

Zotac did something similar with their GTX 580, came with a compact water cooler.

I'm completely happy with my Asus CU2 cooler though, this thing is silent even with heavy 3D gaming. Didn't mind the 3 slot it took.

"collectible hardware for enthusiasts"

Another piece of hardware stuffed in a box in the basement because it's become obsolete...:(

Hang on, I have an old hard drive that is about half the size of a mATX case in a box in my basement.:D

Holy shit is another word.

THEY NEED to make water coolers like that more mainstream for GPU's.

I really wish a company would sell a GPU bracket for the CPU coolers out there today. I know you can get one from a guy in a forum, but I think a mainstream bracket being sold on major websites would be very profitable.

Even if I only game at 1080p, I must have it! Awesome heatsink\fan combo. I wouldn't mind something similar for general releases as well.

"collectible hardware for enthusiasts"

Another piece of hardware stuffed in a box in the basement because it's become obsolete...:(

Hang on, I have an old hard drive that is about half the size of a mATX case in a box in my basement.:D

Display it in a glass case on the mantle in a few years.

Back