NVIDIA Announces Project Shield

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
While we touched on this below, it was buried in the running commentary from NVIDIA's pre-CES press conference tonight in Las Vegas. NVIDIA announced the Shield gaming device, with its fully Android power ecosystem. It is shown below and resembles an bulky console controller with a fip-up screen. It is powered by NVIDIA's new Tegra 4 silicon. I have stayed away from calling it a mobile game console, because it would be better described as a mobile PC for gaming from what I have seen. The NVIDIA Shield was demonstrated running two PC game titles that were being run on a connected GTX 680 based desktop PC. The GTX 680 was doing the game rendering and streaming it to the Shield, which was then in turn outputting the gameplay to a 4K HDMI attached TV. What was surely a grand finale, NVIDIA showed Shield accessing Steam's Big Screen application, and while NVIDIA did not show an actual Steam gaming running, it was explained that there would be no problem doing so, and having it rendered on PC and streamed to your Shield and then displayed on just about any device in your home or elsewhere. NVIDIA has its somewhat limited Shield site up and running, complete with "Notify Me." Damn skippy.

Streaming from the desktop PC is a bit narrow at the moment as laid out by the specifications. As noted I would suspect this to broaden, actually quite a lot, as the product gets closer to hitting the store shelves which is expected in Q2'13.

System Requirements for PC Game Streaming*
GPU: NVIDIA® Kepler™-based GeForce GTX 650 (Desktop) or
GTX 660M (Notebook) or higher
CPU: Intel Core i5 or equivalent or higher
System Memory: 4 GB or higher
Software: GeForce Experience™ application and latest GeForce drivers
Router: Router: 802.11a/g/n
(Recommended: 802.11n Dual Band / MIMO Router)
*System requirements are preliminary and may be updated closer to product availability

It seems as though the screen equipped on the Shield will be very nice for a native Shield experience as well. Tegra's image quality has always been impressive as well.

5" Retinal Display
SHIELD flips open to an integrated 5" 1280x720 HD multi-touch display. With 294 dpi and 921,600 pixels, SHIELD has the highest resolution and pixel density of any handheld gaming device. In addition, Tegra 4’s Direct Touch technology gives SHIELD touch response three times faster than other touch devices.

13575396008aipinsJu1_1_1.png

13575396008aipinsJu1_1_2.png

13575396008aipinsJu1_1_3.jpg

13575396008aipinsJu1_1_4.png

Last edited:
Streaming live from a PC with a GeForce in it, to Shield anywhere in my house?

TAKE MY MONEY!

I don't see this replacing PC gaming. It is nice though to know that I don't have to be right in front of my PC whenever I want to mess around in a single player game or something.

Basically allows your PC to double as a console. No need to carry your PC to your big screen TV anymore. ;)

I was wanting to know if the USB on the device supports hooking up a keyboard/mouse.

That and the estimated price...

TAKE MY MONEY!

I don't see this replacing PC gaming. It is nice though to know that I don't have to be right in front of my PC whenever I want to mess around in a single player game or something.

I see this putting console gaming in a difficult position.

If only I wouldn't have to buy an nvidia GPU for this to work...

Pretty cool though. Almost replaces needing to drag my PC to LAN parties. Almost.

TAKE MY MONEY!

im throwing money at my screen and nothings happening :confused:

I was wanting to know if the USB on the device supports hooking up a keyboard/mouse.

That and the estimated price...

Hard to say... It's not a standard USB port so you'd need to do some finagling to make it work. Bluetooth keyboard and mouse should work just fine however.
EDIT: Now that I think about it, I was trying to figure out how they were doing Ethernet to the device. I'm betting they were using a usb to Ethernet adapter for that to work, so if that is the case then I would expect keyboard and mice to work correctly if you had some type of adapter.

Price is going to be the biggest hit or miss for this device. As far as the device itself I would say they hit a homerun there. They address one of the biggest issues with mobile gaming head on. Even people who use PSPs were really missing the 2nd analog stick. This basically takes a regular controller and puts a screen onto it. The only negative part I could see is the device could be a bit on the heavy side with the amount of batteries and screen on it.

Last edited:
I have to wonder how this is going to affect the Steam Box. I guess it depends on what Steam Box is, exactly, but this could potentially be upsetting for whatever Valve has in store. Then again, this thing is good for them too, in a way.

I would expect that this will be a $200-$250 device, though NVIDIA may need to price it lower to gain traction with it.

i was thinking more like 300 to 400 and it would still be a home run
how much does a PS Vita cost? and a decent android device?

Hard to say... It's not a standard USB port so you'd need to do some finagling to make it work. Bluetooth keyboard and mouse should work just fine however.

Price is going to be the biggest hit or miss for this device. As far as the device itself I would say they hit a homerun there. They address one of the biggest issues with mobile gaming head on. Even people who use PSPs were really missing the 2nd analog stick. This basically takes a regular controller and puts a screen onto it. The only negative part I could see is the device could be a bit on the heavy side with the amount of batteries and screen on it.

This puts PSP to shame. However, if Shield is a bit of a hit to the wallet I doubt it's going to hurt sales as much as it hurt the PSP considering all of what this can do. People who look at this thing will undoubtedly say it's worth it if it isn't too extreme.

Hopefully nvidia sells these at a loss and tries to make it up on volume of graphics card sales. This will be an incredible reason to switch to green team.

Shield website is up - http://shield.nvidia.com/

System Requirements for PC Game Streaming*
GPU: NVIDIA® Kepler™-based GeForce GTX 650 (Desktop) or
GTX 660M (Notebook) or higher
CPU: Intel Core i5 or equivalent or higher
System Memory: 4 GB or higher
Software: GeForce Experience™ application and latest GeForce drivers
Router: Router: 802.11a/g/n
(Recommended: 802.11n Dual Band / MIMO Router)
*System requirements are preliminary and may be updated closer to product availability

This puts PSP to shame. However, if Shield is a bit of a hit to the wallet I doubt it's going to hurt sales as much as it hurt the PSP considering all of what this can do. People who look at this thing will undoubtedly say it's worth it if it isn't too extreme.

I would definitely agree with you on this one. I was excited about the PSP when it was first coming out, but it doesn't come anywhere near what this device can do. Even a 3DS is going to be put to shame by this device.

Real controls, real web browsing/email/applications, better graphics, no discs or cartridges to deal with, and the ability to play pc games over the device.

"Playing PC games anywhere in your home" is a gimmick. I have a place to play PC games in my home, I bought a big desk so I can do exactly that.

"Playing PC games anywhere in your home" is a gimmick. I have a place to play PC games in my home, I bought a big desk so I can do exactly that.

But shield also allows you to drive your 50 inch hdtv so you can play from the couch. imagine the multiplayer integration possibilities

wonder why it need a 6x0 GPU and not and the 5x0 other then to drive sales

I find I hate my desk more and more every day. If I can find ways to do more while lying in my bed, that's what I want. Having a tablet helps, but I can't realistically play Skyrim on a tablet. Even if I could stream it, I'd still need to hack the shit out of the controls to get something going for the touchscreen.

If this thing supports XInput, most current PC games will work on it without a hitch. Reasonably good controls; reasonably-sized display; play whatever I want on it. Seems good to me. It looks ugly and bulky, but if it does its job well, that's what counts.

I don't see the draw. A mobile gaming device that has to be tethered to a PC? An unnecessary in-between device for your PC and TV?

Another page - http://www./whats-new/articles/nvidia-project-shield - you have to add the geforce dot com to it :p

Most important from that - SHIELD is expected to ship in Q2 of 2013. It will first launch in the US and Canada, with a worldwide rollout to follow. Pricing and final specs will be unveiled closer to availability. You can sign up here to be notified for the release.

Cloud gaming = fail

Going to have to agree. Hell Amazon can hardly keep its cloud data in tact with all the recent failures.

I really , really hate the entire idea of the "Cloud" regardless if its a finality or not for good.

....I must be missing something here because all I can think of is input latency...especially if I dont have an N router.

This is a great idea.....VERY good idea.....but I have some concerns.

720p streaming only?....My tv is 1080p....not sure I want to downscale myself there.

And the Input lag....I am concerned about that. Because gaming on a TV with a normal PC isnt all that great because most tv's have HORRRRRRRRIBLE input lag.....How does Nvidia get past that thing.

Great freakin idea though, just all depends how its implemented. And how much they are going to charge.

This is a great idea.....VERY good idea.....but I have some concerns.

720p streaming only?....My tv is 1080p....not sure I want to downscale myself there.

And the Input lag....I am concerned about that. Because gaming on a TV with a normal PC isnt all that great because most tv's have HORRRRRRRRIBLE input lag.....How does Nvidia get past that thing.

Great freakin idea though, just all depends how its implemented. And how much they are going to charge.

"streaming it to the Shield, which was then in turn outputting the gameplay to a 4K HDMI attached TV"

The screen on the handheld is 720p

I'm hoping maybe this in the future will also allow streaming to more devices (maybe Tegra 4 tablets? phones? laptops with Nvidia GPUs?) as well.

For instance for TBS (games like Civ 5) or MMOs (a lot of "setup" time) or adventure type games it would be great if I could play them anywhere. Control (and latency) issues are not much of a major issue in these cases.

I don't see the draw. A mobile gaming device that has to be tethered to a PC? An unnecessary in-between device for your PC and TV?

It is fully stand alone gaming device as well. It just is able to leverage the additional power and game library of a PC if one is available.

"streaming it to the Shield, which was then in turn outputting the gameplay to a 4K HDMI attached TV"

The screen on the handheld is 720p

Hmm....Still dont see how well is would stream a wireless 1080p signal without ANY input lag.....

I mean they even released a wireless 460 GTX....and THAT needed a shitload of wireless signals to even work.

I just have my doubts in input lag....When you game, you want the least amount of input lag as possible.

I love the idea, but i dunno I just have my doubts on how well it would work. Personally I hope it does work with very little input lag.

But shield also allows you to drive your 50 inch hdtv so you can play from the couch. imagine the multiplayer integration possibilities

Uh, I can also use a really long HDMI cable or any of the dozens of existing wireless tech to get the image on my PC to appear on my TV. A cable between your controller and the TV is so 10 years ago.

It is fully stand alone gaming device as well. It just is able to leverage the additional power and game library of a PC if one is available.

It wont take off as a stand alone gaming device. You can get gaming on mobile phones nowadays. Why would someone want a device that only plays games.

Sony Failed with that, And even Nintendo isnt doing all that great with the new 3DS.

Tegra 4 though....looks killer, but as a stand along gaming device. I don't think it will work.

Physx anyone?

Nvidia sure did come outta nowhere with this concept.

Cool idea, and apparently its a nice jab at Sony / MS.

"Leave us out of the console next gen, we'll develop our
own"

The big cloud based server monster they had on stage gave
me a geek boner. I don't see the benefits just yet. The biggest
limitating factor to any streaming service is ISP bandwidth caps
at this point.

I've had my gaming rig hooked up to my flatscreen since 2006. Wireless mouse and keyboard and wireless xbox 360 controller for single player games... this stuffs been doable for years. What am I missing here?

Nvidia sure did come outta nowhere with this concept.

Cool idea, and apparently its a nice jab at Sony / MS.

"Leave us out of the console next gen, we'll develop our
own"

The big cloud based server monster they had on stage gave
me a geek boner. I don't see the benefits just yet. The biggest
limitating factor to any streaming service is ISP bandwidth caps
at this point.

they need to partner with Google Fiber to demo the cloud gaming

Hmm....Still dont see how well is would stream a wireless 1080p signal without ANY input lag.....

I mean they even released a wireless 460 GTX....and THAT needed a shitload of wireless signals to even work.

I just have my doubts in input lag....When you game, you want the least amount of input lag as possible.

I love the idea, but i dunno I just have my doubts on how well it would work. Personally I hope it does work with very little input lag.
There is always input lag it's just far less then what you get off wireless. But the difference isn't a huge deal home wireless is what like 70ms added, playing on a TV would add far more input lag btw then wireless just off interpolation and other crap they do the image that doesn't get done by monitors.

Back