The NVIDIA GRID

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
The NVIDIA GRID server discussion Thread.

Press release being streamed now on the HardOCP news page. NVIDIA gets into the cloud gaming business. GPU over Ethernet....WiFi, etc.

Move your game from TV, to Mobile...But the basic rub is that your mobile device, or TV does not need the GPU power to play GPU-centric games. Oddly enough, a very anemic game, Trine, was shown as the example.

13575252808wFCe9X7PV_1_1.png

Last edited:
It could be a good thing if it is a success on the mobile platform because then games wouldn't need to dumb down their graphics should they choose to make it cross platform.

Well, so long as they continue to sell me a real graphic card for my PC, I'm good.

sounds a whole lot like on-live...which went absolutely nowhere from what i can tell

The shield pretty polished. I was really impressed when they were streaming games being rendered on the pc and showing up on their controller. It is a lot like onlive but since it's using your home pc there isn't going to be the latency hit like you would have with that.

On top of that having an android device that can do anything android can, but having a real controller. It's overall a pretty impressive device IMO.

Interesting...but until today's bandwidth and latency issues are an afterthought, I dont think this is going to be any more successful than OnLive. Though perhaps Facebook games can look a lot more advanced than Quake Live.

sounds a whole lot like on-live...which went absolutely nowhere from what i can tell

its pretty much a direct copy other than the mobile side of it. with the same exact promises on-live had that never ended up happening.

I think shield is pretty cool but its going to come down to cost. Not many people are going to carry this around and a phone. And when they are already spending $600 on a phone how much will they want to spend on a controller? This would have been a far cooler device if the display was what ever phone you drop into it, instead of having its down display. Then the cost could be way lower. And have shield just be software anyone can install on any android phone.

No wonder, who would want to pay for content that you never even get physically to yourself, which is totally dependant on internet connection and suspectible to every single network related problem (lag) while playing.

Every control will pass through double network layer, first you send it, it gets processed and the image is sent back with a second network delay. Your end result is going to be extremely laggy controls and a horrible gaming experience.

There's just no way it will work without a local client.

So basically Nvidia Shield = Cloud Gaming equipment for the home user. Nvidia Grid = Cloud Gaming equipment for corporate / developer usage? From looking at the material, it seems that Grid is intended as a way to sway developers/content providers into switching their existing equipment to Nvidia's.

So basically Nvidia Shield = Cloud Gaming equipment for the home user. Nvidia Grid = Cloud Gaming/Computing equipment for corporate / developer usage? From looking at the material, it seems that Grid is intended as a way to sway developers / content providers into switching their existing equipment to Nvidia's.

Back