'Hashtag' Declared 2012's Word of the Year

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Stop the presses: the Internet has scored another word of the year with Hashtag beating out some stiff competition from YOLO, physical cliff and Gangham Style. :D Every year the American Dialect Society gathers to nominate the most widely used words or phrases from the past year and vote the winner.

“This was the year when the hashtag became a ubiquitous phenomenon in online talk,” Zimmer said. “In the Twittersphere and elsewhere, hashtags have created instant social trends, spreading bite-sized viral messages on topics ranging from politics to pop culture.”

And to further show how the English language is being fucking obliterated the symbol is called a hash, so if you're using it to reference something else it should be called a hash tag, two words not one.

P.S. it's still the number sign or the pound sign in my view

P.P.S get off my lawn

A fella brings me two buckets of fresh internet every morning so I'd be using that interweb thing without your kernel voodoo people

The same people that compile their own kernels and have glasses thick enough to smoke ants

LOL!

I also LOVE people that use hash tags outside of Twitter! Especially on Facebook cause well, you know, they work so properly...

I agree, people use it on facebook since they see others using it, I have even seen it used in BF3
why-do-people-use-hashtags-on-facebook.jpg

Stop the presses: the Internet has scored another word of the year with Hashtag beating out some stiff competition from YOLO, physical cliff and Gangham Style. :D Every year the American Dialect Society gathers to nominate the most widely used words or phrases from the past year and vote the winner.

Hey Major this should be fiscal cliff.

LOL!

I also LOVE people that use hash tags outside of Twitter! Especially on Facebook cause well, you know, they work so properly...

You see them in comments sections of blogs and websites all the time too. But they fall flat because they are like a comedian laughing at his own joke that tanked and didnt get any laughs and only draws more attention to the awkward silence.

Facebook OTOH is grizzled, gore-filled disaster - a death zone where braincells and dreams go to die, and going in there is a trip into the Lion's den: I'm talking about the crap like women posting pictures of their infants wearing a "funny hat" or some sunglasses upside down and hashtagging #YoureDoingItWrong or other such witticisms. You know the ones. The dumb that comes bubbling out of the pot is in neverending supply there .

The trouble is very few people are actually funny/witty/profound/worth reading enough to hashtag something worth reading in the first place.

Really. It's pretty much made me want to throw shit at the TV. Who gives a crap what's being tweeted during a show.

I sure hope that's a fad that dies a quick, painful death.

Another word I'll have to spend 20 minutes trying to explain to my 71 year old father for him in the end to be like "so it's like website"

Really. It's pretty much made me want to throw shit at the TV. Who gives a crap what's being tweeted during a show.

#GetOffMyLawn.

So does ## work or do I need to escape the # if I want it hashtagged? #\# ? ### ?

I'd call it Number or Pound

I think pound sounds better. It's one syllable. and you can tell people to go on twitter and pound #pussy or #whateverelse

And to further show how the English language is being fucking obliterated the symbol is called a hash, so if you're using it to reference something else it should be called a hash tag, two words not one.

P.S. it's still the number sign or the pound sign in my view

P.P.S get off my lawn

There's nothing to obliterate for the English language though, you can't "ruin" a language that lures other languages into dark alleys and mugs them for their vocabulary. ;)

I think you would have been better off being born in Quebec and France instead or something. :p

Yup, I can't stand hashtags on TV. Its one of many permanent advertisements that obstruct the show and distract the viewer. In addition to the pop-ups, channel bugs, and commercials they have helped make TV completely unwatchable.

Back