Which Websites Share Your Personal Details?

Do you guys share our personal info?!?!? ;)

Who cares, as long as they target ads better, I'll be happy. I hate seeing unrelated ads.

Do you guys share our personal info?!?!? ;)

Who cares, as long as they target ads better, I'll be happy. I hate seeing unrelated ads.

What's even more sad is that they actually share PERSONAL info like your name and email address. I don't care if a company gives out my zip-code or birthday...no spam comes from that.

Wall Street Journal should be ashamed really...why would a site like that share this kind of info anyways?! At least YouTube doesn't share any info!

Wait, They claim that Facebook, Google, MySpace etc don't pass personal info on to 3rd parties? Color me dubious.

What's even more sad is that they actually share PERSONAL info like your name and email address. I don't care if a company gives out my zip-code or birthday...no spam comes from that.

Wall Street Journal should be ashamed really...why would a site like that share this kind of info anyways?! At least YouTube doesn't share any info!
Youtube is Google. And they may or may not share, but they keep everything for what purposes, idk.

Wait, They claim that Facebook, Google, MySpace etc don't pass personal info on to 3rd parties? Color me dubious.

I'll go with:

1: The fact is obvious they share anything they have uploaded to their services

or

2: Their graph of what is shared isn't big enough to list everything social media sites shares. Personal location, pictures with facial recog or geocoded location... etc.

wouldnt it have been easier to list the handful of sites that dont share info?

everyone.gif

The method:
During each browsing session, the Journal used mitmproxy, an open-source software program, to inspect the data being transmitted to and from the sites. This method reveals all data being passed via the Web browser. This serves as a “lower bound” for data sharing; companies can also pass data behind the scenes. Transfers of information to the sites themselves – or to domains owned by these “first-party” sites – were not counted as data leakage unless the domain served a significantly different purpose from that of the original site.

So they're only measuring browser cookie trackers?? No back-end data sharing?

That's like trying to determine what time it is by looking at the sun.

Anyway, what really annoys me is this whole concept of giving personal data away, in a way that does not directly identify someone. Such as giving your birthdate, but not your name. That information can not identify you because it's just an abstract date, and is not associated with a name. But how hard can it be to start collecting these various abstract pieces from different sources to narrow down the individual. I mean how many white, web developers, between 24-35, living in Wash DC, democrat, with small child, that drive a toyota can there be?

Keyword: Share. Missing Word: Sell.

If it bothers you, don't participate in the service. It's all voluntary. If you are naive enough to think handing over your personal information over the internet means it's somehow private and safe, then you have a lot of pain ahead of you. If you don't care, that's great. Bottom line, be smart.

Facebook doesn't share...they don't need to as their "customers" that use it take care of that for them.

Think about it: If the product is free, you are the product.

At least these guys were honest. :) I use fake data and crap email address'es as well.

:D

Any website which uses any sort of advertising network. Sorry - any time you hit a page with an ad on it, SOME semblance of personal information is being given up to all the ad content networks these days, whether they admit it or not. Just because it's not personally identifiable by name doesn't mean it's not personally identifiable.

Back