Michigan Passes Law to Protect Social Media Accounts

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Michigan has joined a growing number of states prohibiting employers and schools from asking for login information to their personal social media accounts.

House Bill 5523, signed by Governor Rick Snyder and introduced by state Rep. Aric Nesbitt, "prohibit employers and educational institutions from requiring certain individuals to grant access to, allow observation of, or disclose information that allows access to or observation of personal internet accounts."

oh please!

The only thing that even comes close to a "person internet account" is what you pay for through your ISP. Even that isn't all that personal. It's all just a bunch of idiots making dumb decisions about nothing based on an ignorant fear regarding a perceived problem that if anything, is in itself rooted in unwise decisions.

There should never be anyone demanding anyone else's password for any social network site. But, if you wouldn't be on the site on the first place....it's a non-issue. All the crap that gets stirred up just simply because of "social networking" is so incredibly annoying.

oh please!

The only thing that even comes close to a "person internet account" is what you pay for through your ISP. Even that isn't all that personal. It's all just a bunch of idiots making dumb decisions about nothing based on an ignorant fear regarding a perceived problem that if anything, is in itself rooted in unwise decisions.

There should never be anyone demanding anyone else's password for any social network site. But, if you wouldn't be on the site on the first place....it's a non-issue. All the crap that gets stirred up just simply because of "social networking" is so incredibly annoying.

ummm dont know how to take your posts. many people have been askes for there facebook login and password in job interviews. i really want to know why people though this would be a good idea.

I know that many people are asked for this. I think asking for this is wrong. But, if I were to ever be asked....I can honestly say "I don't have anything. I don't use anything you are calling a social network". I see no point in it. It's more trouble than it's worth. I would rather have log-ins like this for sites like this than for any kind of spacebook or twatter. There are too many ways that family and friends can reach me from anywhere without me having to create anything like that. If you want it....you can have it all. Too many people with Facebook log-ins go through life completely unaware that employers (and many others) ARE going to Facebook first to see what kind of person you are. If you think your not being watched, you are. Wether that's right or wrong doesn't matter...you are.

I know that many people are asked for this. I think asking for this is wrong. But, if I were to ever be asked....I can honestly say "I don't have anything. I don't use anything you are calling a social network". I see no point in it. It's more trouble than it's worth...

Agreed. You won't find me on Facebook. I would also rather not work for the kind of place that would even ask. Unless I were desperate for a job, I would likely get up and walk out at that point.

I read some commentary that suggested that's the wrong answer too. From the employer's perspective, if you don't have any social media accounts then something is wrong. Perhaps this is confirmation that you do have something to hide.

If someone asked for your personal journal or diary and the name and phone number of all your close friends and recordings of your conversations with your friends, people would be outraged. The only reason they've gotten away with it this far is that 'its technology' and most people go numb in the brain.

The only people wanting your fb account password are control freak bosses and lazy HR people looking for an easy way to thin the herd.

I don't touch the stuff, but if I had one and if you find my fb account on your own, fine. But, I'm not giving login information to any personal online account. If they want that, my personal e-mail is not far behind. And then credit card and bank accounts aren't far behind that. Not to mention the security issues of handing that to someone who could easily sell it off on the side.

Just another example of law catching up with technology. Slowly though. Hopefully all states will have this law eventually.

I don't use facebook though, but its crossing the line imo for an employer to ask for the password.

A lot of interviewers will ask you questions they know they aren't allowed to (i.e. how many kids you have, what's your facebook/email passwords etc). Most have no legitimate need for this info and are only attempting to weed-out ignorant or weak-will applicants.

Just another example of law catching up with technology. Slowly though. Hopefully all states will have this law eventually.

I don't use facebook though, but its crossing the line imo for an employer to ask for the password.

You can chose to walk away. No one is forcing you to work for them.

Like most laws, this one is a bad idea. There are non-violent solutions to this problem. You have the freedom to not work for a place that demands such information. If a business has trouble hiring workings because no one wants to hand out their login information, they will be forced to change their policies.

Frankly, I question the intelligence of anyone who puts personal information on the Internet the way most people do with Facebook.

While I agree with Rick Snyder's action this time, he's still a jackass.

That's not true at all, when you are a family man and your having a job is the difference between feeding and sheltering your children or not, you really don't have a choice at all. During down times when there are more people in need of work than there are jobs, employers would easily take advantage of desperate people if there aren't some boundries levied by the government.

I disagree. If someone puts up their privacy filter on their social network page, it should be respected, no more or less than one would expect their email to be private. If someone's social network page is public, then yes, they're fair game to employers as they do background check.

If an employer require background checks on potential employees, then they're free to go about the usual routine of obtaining police reports or FBI reports on a person.

An exception I'll make is if someone's trying to get into the business of working at tightly secured environments, such as military contractors or anywhere that require top secret clearances.

I disagree. If someone puts up their privacy filter on their social network page, it should be respected, no more or less than one would expect their email to be private. If someone's social network page is public, then yes, they're fair game to employers as they do background check.

If an employer require background checks on potential employees, then they're free to go about the usual routine of obtaining police reports or FBI reports on a person.

An exception I'll make is if someone's trying to get into the business of working at tightly secured environments, such as military contractors or anywhere that require top secret clearances.

You're not making sense, the article/law in question is about employers *requiring* a potential hire turning over their login information for facebook or other social media in order to be hired. Which would mean that it doesn't matter if their profile is public or private as the employer would log into the person's account using the person's own login information.

...If someone puts up their privacy filter on their social network page, it should be respected, no more or less than one would expect their email to be private. If someone's social network page is public, then yes, they're fair game to employers as they do background check...

The facts about this are either misunderstood or ignored. Those so-called "privacy filters" are NOT what you think they are. Take a good look at what the websites themselves are doing. Those filters only exist 'on the surface' and are for show. All the things that truly need to be filtered....won't be.

Keep in mind, your using someone else's system under their rules. Putting that much faith in these filters is just like driving while blind. There is a better way to do things but very few people will ever actually do it.

While people complain so much about "the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer" and about all the greed....Mark Zuckerberg continues to get richer ONLY because so many people continue to use HIS system. It's the same thing with Apple. It's all so hypocritical. Don't come complaining to me about your Facebook page getting hacked or how much you have to shop at Walmart (for the low prices) after buying your 15 year old kid an iPhone. There is a choice to be made here.

I think it's more of a "hate it because I have to use it". Not that they think everyone should quit using the products

That's the funny part of it, it does not have to be used. The very same thing (for the end user anyway) can be done without it. Too few people actually understand that.

All this does is drag down people that are legitimately savy and dont use fb and clump them in with the entire populatin group that the employer is assuming does dumb stuff on fb and now can't check on it now so you have a stigma since you are part of the percieved low grade job seeking pool.

All this does is drag down people that are legitimately savy and dont use fb and clump them in with the entire populatin group that the employer is assuming does dumb stuff on fb and now can't check on it now so you have a stigma since you are part of the percieved low grade job seeking pool.

HOLY RUN-ON SENTENCE BATMAN.

I know that many people are asked for this. I think asking for this is wrong. But, if I were to ever be asked....I can honestly say "I don't have anything. I don't use anything you are calling a social network". I see no point in it. It's more trouble than it's worth. I would rather have log-ins like this for sites like this than for any kind of spacebook or twatter. There are too many ways that family and friends can reach me from anywhere without me having to create anything like that. If you want it....you can have it all. Too many people with Facebook log-ins go through life completely unaware that employers (and many others) ARE going to Facebook first to see what kind of person you are. If you think your not being watched, you are. Wether that's right or wrong doesn't matter...you are.

so now your potential employer thinks you are the unabomber lol

Back