AMD to Drop Vision Branding

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
According to a new report, AMD is preparing to drop another of its marketing initiatives. Vision branding is being abandoned and replaced, at least temporarily, with the word ‘platform’. The move is unconfirmed by AMD at this time.

AMD first introduced Vision branding in September 2009. "VISION Technology from AMD breaks the model in how PC benefits are communicated," the company said at the time.

Whatever..I never really did think the whole "AMD Vision" thing was a really big deal. It was sort of a lame idea in the same way that Centrino is sort of silly too. They need to focus more on making competitive products and less on branding them with meaningless marketing names.

Not one person who sees the "vision" term has any clue wtf it means anyways. Complete waste of time, money, and effort.

A rose by any other name....would be just as non-operational.

Call it what ya like. I'll stay with Intel.

But in better news, AMD is looking to extend lifespan of manufacturing node, saying that 28nm "may be with us longer". Sure that's a competitive disadvantage, but there you go.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/...s_Technologies_for_Longer_Period_of_Time.html

AMD's controller & interim CFO said:
“It is getting tougher and tougher to get to new nodes. 28nm might be with us a little longer than people [think]. [It will be a while] before they jump into 20nm node or 16nm or 14nm,” said Devinder Kumar, the corporate controller and the interim chieffinancial officer, at Raymond James IT supply chain conference.

I wonder if that's a slip of the tongue with possible delays in foundries next nodes, or just a warning about AMD not moving to more expensive nodes (ah, to be fabless) on certain products. Vision!

No one knew what AMD Vision meant anyway. AMD's branding and marketing are an undecipherable mess and might as well not exist at all.

Worry less about branding and more about making a CPU that is competitive beyond graphics.

So AMD admit they lack Vision?

Their marketing is a pile of crappyness. What does "the future is fusion" mean..."moron, why did you buy this higher end stuff, just sell it and get a crappy APU! :p" :D

Vision sort of rhymes with Fission. Maybe AMD is trying to go all Mister Home Fusion on us because fission is so 1960's anyhow.

At this point why not bring back what got everyone to amd in the first place. The Athlon XP name.

How about an FU branding? The company logo could include a fist with a certain finger sticking up.

Eyefinity and APU are the only marketing buzzwords they've come up recently with that have any real name cognition/value at all, I don't see the problem here.

It astounds me that AMD can simultaneously be so excellent in some areas and terrible in others. They have very cool technology, great logos and marketing graphics, but they use incredibly poor language and presentations to advertise it.

Heck, give me a job on their marketing team and I could do a better job. The simple phrase, "Market-leading value at every price point" would do better for them than the long-winded crap they keep telling people about how they're (paraphrasing), "Dedicated to delivering best in class performance per watt and performance per dollar".

That is real nice, but just typing it made me want to fall asleep and listening to it again and again does no better.

For whatever stupid reason they've removed Rory Read's ability to speak naturally and have turned him into an uninspired droning buffoon, they've been giving people the opposite of excitement when they need it the most. When your own CEO complains on a hot mic with "Hello my name is Rory and I have no personality", maybe you should rethink your strategy?

Ah yes. I do love a good AMD hate thread. They're changing some of their marketing so naturally that calls for 1000 posts on how much AMD sucks.

Ah yes. I do love a good AMD hate thread. They're changing some of their marketing so naturally that calls for [strike=1]1000[/s] 6 posts on how much AMD sucks.
Your number was slightly off. Just like the performance of AMD's CPUs.

Ah yes. I do love a good AMD hate thread. They're changing some of their marketing so naturally that calls for 1000 posts on how much AMD sucks.

Well, not to be a meanie-head, but it'd be really unrealistic to make 1000 posts about how much they're innovating and leading the industry.

i didn't know WTF Vision meant either.

AMD is not losing anything on marketing though, because they absolutely did not market the "Vision".

I have no idea what the AMD Vision branding even is. Is that the switchable graphics?

I guess they wanted you to believe that you were seeing shit the way it was meant to be seen, as if AMD's igp showed shit any clearer on a crappy lcd screen than an intel igp.

Kind of like their "Live!" branding?
AMD needs a new spin on things, this mid-00's crap-style marketing is getting old.

I guess they wanted you to believe that you were seeing shit the way it was meant to be seen, as if AMD's igp showed shit any clearer on a crappy lcd screen than an intel igp.

Actually, prior to Ivy Bridge Intel IGPs had atrocious image quality and Ivy Bridge still doesn't stand up to Trinity (or Llano) in performance or IQ, so actually they DO show things clearer.

I think he means more along the lines of like, playing a DVD or showing a picture file. It's pretty obvious it'll be noticeable difference in a game (cept the Ivy Bridge ones).

What's "Vision"?
Probably an internal company thing that has to do with methodology/workflow/brainstorming/development processes, and decided to slap a label over it and was so proud of it they had to make the label itself public and emphasize it as part of the pride.

In other words, it means nothing.

Back