Netflix Doubles CEO's 2013 Salary

HardOCP News

[H] News
Tanking your company's stock gets you double the salary? You have to be kidding me. Someone please tell me this is a joke. :eek:

Netflix Inc doubled Chief Executive Reed Hastings's 2013 salary to $4 million, the video rental company disclosed in a regulatory filing. Of the $4 million, Hastings will receive half in cash and half in stock options. This compares to $500,000 in cash and $1.5 million in stock options the company gave its CEO for 2012.

Hasn't the stock gone up quite a bit in recent months? Plus they got that big Disney contract.. I'm sure that had something to do with it.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Every single company that received bailouts from the government gave their CEO's and other big wigs bonuses after getting those bailouts. Here in America we are now giving rewards for failing as well, how else do you explain welfare recipients at an all time high? I guess if the poor people get it from the government the rich people should too......

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Every single company that received bailouts from the government gave their CEO's and other big wigs bonuses after getting those bailouts. Here in America we are now giving rewards for failing as well, how else do you explain welfare recipients at an all time high? I guess if the poor people get it from the government the rich people should too......

Shhh, saying anything bad about practices like this just means you hate success, the American dream, apple pies, and are waging class warfare.

...ummm

I think this is more about corporate greed than that old government conspiracy thing that gets played out at nausea.

Netflix is up 28% for the 2012. If that's "tanking the stock" then I hope my portfolio tanks as well :rolleyes:

Revenue continues to climb as well, and the company remains profitable. Looking at the financials, I'm not seeing much to complain about?

I don't quite understand all the hate that Hastings gets in particular.

He made some bad decisions (who hasn't?). But you have to ask yourself, what does Netflix actually represent and why are they having a hard time. Just about every single content provider does NOT want netflix to succeed and are doing everything they can to ensure it fails (raising subscription rates, for example). What can you honestly expect someone to do when their subscription rates went from something like 120 millino to 2-3 BILLION? Not only that, movie studios are giving Netflix the cold boot with this delay window crap.

With that said, I believe netflix is doing a dam fine job! When they increased their rate...by what a couple bucks? Everyone complained and moaned. Tell me, what would your solution be when your expenses increased by that much (just to have content, nevermind the actual infrastructure, employees, support team, etc).

The guys a fool and made more blunders than any other corporate executive in recent memory. It's amazing he still has a job.

Back slapping him for the stock being up the last two quarters after falling from 300 is like celebrating when a thief steals all your money and gives you back $5.

Shhh, saying anything bad about practices like this just means you hate success, the American dream, apple pies, and are waging class warfare.

Shhh, saying anything about people abusing the welfare system means you're an evil 1%er that hates poor people and wants to let people die in the streets without medical care and let children starve. :rolleyes:

Anyways, 4 mil isn't jack compared to what most big time ceo's make. I agree CEO pay has gotten completely ridiculous, but hastings is a poor target for scrutiny.

Back slapping him for the stock being up the last two quarters after falling from 300 is like celebrating when a thief steals all your money and gives you back $5.

Netflix has never been at 300. Its 52 week high is 133, and it's currently at 89.

Also, judging the company solely by its stock price is incredibly short sighted and stupid.

You have to go back further than 52 weeks to see it at 300. It fell very quickly. That said, its more likely that it feel because the stock was massively overvalued. Even after continuing to grow its revenue this year its P/E ratio is still over 100. The rate hikes were simply the excuse people needed to sell off. Its actually back on a much more sensible growth path. I would say Hastings is actually doing a pretty good job and really can hardly be faulted for such a huge nosedive in the stock price.

Because how good of a CEO one is is linear to how much one's paid.

:rolleyes:

Who cares about netflix, their stock took a dump for a reason. Dumb decisions and failing to get any better. Hulu too.

Im not surprised he got the increase. I'm surprised that last year he was working for only $2 mil total. That's pretty low compared to the CEO average in the United States of $6-8 million(I think? Last time I checked) and I don't think of Netflix as a small company. I think if anything, the pay bump is probably to establish equality with his peers. Silly-reason but if you were getting paid 25-50% of a person doing the same job at another company, what do you do? Start working for the other company :D!

After their stock bubble popped (it pretty much had to regardless of what the company did), lets not forget the big "official" international push to many other countries + the Disney deal.

Netflix is up 28% for the 2012. If that's "tanking the stock" then I hope my portfolio tanks as well :rolleyes:

Revenue continues to climb as well, and the company remains profitable. Looking at the financials, I'm not seeing much to complain about?

Netflix did make a nice rebound.

I don't quite understand all the hate that Hastings gets in particular.

He made some bad decisions (who hasn't?). But you have to ask yourself, what does Netflix actually represent and why are they having a hard time. Just about every single content provider does NOT want netflix to succeed and are doing everything they can to ensure it fails (raising subscription rates, for example). What can you honestly expect someone to do when their subscription rates went from something like 120 millino to 2-3 BILLION? Not only that, movie studios are giving Netflix the cold boot with this delay window crap.

With that said, I believe netflix is doing a dam fine job! When they increased their rate...by what a couple bucks? Everyone complained and moaned. Tell me, what would your solution be when your expenses increased by that much (just to have content, nevermind the actual infrastructure, employees, support team, etc).

I'd wager just about every competitor & large corporate ISP with an arm in content "creation" do not like Netflix taking any "premium" money away from them... Quite hostile business environment.

Im not surprised he got the increase. I'm surprised that last year he was working for only $2 mil total. That's pretty low compared to the CEO average in the United States of $6-8 million(I think? Last time I checked) and I don't think of Netflix as a small company. I think if anything, the pay bump is probably to establish equality with his peers. Silly-reason but if you were getting paid 25-50% of a person doing the same job at another company, what do you do? Start working for the other company :D!

If that is the case, his salary was peanuts compared other CEOs. Imagine him sitting at a boardroom table with every other executive and CEO making 1.5x to 5.0x times his salary. They would poach him for peanuts, hmm... after laughing at him. Great system huh?

Shhh, saying anything about people abusing the welfare system means you're an evil 1%er that hates poor people and wants to let people die in the streets without medical care and let children starve. :rolleyes:

Hardcore Social Conservatives (words): "God has a plan for their suffering, the poor and their plight will always be with us and we should not be forced by government to use our God-given wealth to intervene with God's will that they suffer."

Hardcore Social Conservatives (actions): Elect government officials that attempt to reduce and eliminate assistance to ALL poor people, whether food, education, health, or shelter.

Hardcore Economic Conservatives (words): "Morality is a joke created by silly intellectuals. There is no morality. The strong and those with opportunity survive and the weak and those without opportunity perish, for better or for worse. Government should not intervene with the natural order of existence."

Hardcore Economic Conservatives (actions): Elect government officials that attempt to reduce and eliminate assistance to ALL poor, whether food, education, health, or shelter.

Self-Identified "Moderate" Conservatives (words): "We love poor people and want them to live in health, in safety, and without hunger. We just want them to work for it. So we need to put a stop to people abusing the system and also reduce government inefficiency, corruption, and waste."

Self-Identified "Moderate" Conservatives (actions): Elect government officials that attempt to reduce and eliminate assistance to ALL poor people, whether food, education, health, or shelter.

Seems like those accusations against conservatives are pretty accurate...

Forget the stock--proof that the stock market is populated by blind men and zombies: Apple stock, trading at 10x what it's worth. Apple stock is so over valued it is ludicrous. But...stock, like a house, is only worth what idiots (who overpay) and smart people (who underpay) will pay for it.

The guy as Netflix CEO raised prices (and so corporate income) by--what?--60%(?) and has at the same time managed to actually grow his subscriber base. Damn right he's getting a raise...;)

Forget the stock--proof that the stock market is populated by blind men and zombies: Apple stock, trading at 10x what it's worth. Apple stock is so over valued it is ludicrous. But...stock, like a house, is only worth what idiots (who overpay) and smart people (who underpay) will pay for it.

AAPL's P/E is only 11.54 - that's on the lower end of "fair price", no where close to being overvalued much less 10x what it's worth.

Netflix is doomed in the long run. Why would ISPs and media companies cut someone else in?

Anyways, 4 mil isn't jack compared to what most big time ceo's make. I agree CEO pay has gotten completely ridiculous, but hastings is a poor target for scrutiny.

One thing I find that is often missed (sorry for the off-topic comment) is that welfare is two-fold. You are not only taking government money - but you are also not contributing to government money. This is never communicated - yet obvious in my mind.

Stock price has nothing to do with performance let alone that of the CEO.

I love these guys on TV who claim they are way awesome at picking stocks. They are terrible. If stock price had anything to do with anything in reality, then the Netflix stock price wouldn't have bust under such ridiculous terms as OMG, raising the price which resulted them making more money.

Netflix is doomed in the long run. Why would ISPs and media companies cut someone else in?

ISPs? I think you mean cable companies. ISPs have never had a cut - well, ISPs that weren't also cable companies have never had a cut, rather.

Also Netflix replaces the cable company middle man - not sure if media companies will really care which one delivers their stuff to users as long as they still get paid.

Back