Google Removed 50M Pirate Search Results In 2012

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google removed fifty million pirate search results in 2012. That is ninety five requests per minute, every day, for a year straight. Damn. :eek:

Over the past year copyright holders have asked Google to remove 51,395,353 links to infringing webpages, a dramatic surge compared to previous years. The search giant is currently processing half a million “infringing” links per day, and this number is increasing week after week. At the same time, Hollywood and the major record labels want Google to increase its anti-piracy efforts.

The best part about the removal of these results is if you click through the DMCA notification at the bottom you get a link to the list of infringing sites removed by Google....

When I'm on youtube listening to a random song, the link to download the mp3 is usually in the description.

Invoiced at 10 cents per removal to the RIAA/MPAA would be HILARIOUS.

There should be a fee for it. That way, they will be a bit more cautious when trying to remove offending content but 'accidentally' getting original content...

AWESOME!!! I never understood why someone would buy 2K worth of hardware and pirate windows.

AWESOME!!! I never understood why someone would buy 2K worth of hardware and pirate windows.

Because hardware and software are hugely different. You can't download more memory or a video card, but a single click and you can have Windows 8, cracked, downloading and complete in an hour (typical speed of ~10 Mb). Through it on a USB drive, install and good.

I have either paid for my OS or it has came with the machine (laptops). I haven't pirated an OS.... ever... Not to be holier than thou, though, I have pirated other stuff. So, I'm a bit of a hypocrite. Why spend $2000 on a PC then have to spend another $120 on the OS? Because that $120 can be spent elsewhere if the OS is that easy to obtain. I see why people do it. I just don't find myself needing to do it...

Because hardware and software are hugely different. You can't download more memory or a video card, but a single click and you can have Windows 8, cracked, downloading and complete in an hour (typical speed of ~10 Mb). Through it on a USB drive, install and good.

I have either paid for my OS or it has came with the machine (laptops). I haven't pirated an OS.... ever... Not to be holier than thou, though, I have pirated other stuff. So, I'm a bit of a hypocrite. Why spend $2000 on a PC then have to spend another $120 on the OS? Because that $120 can be spent elsewhere if the OS is that easy to obtain. I see why people do it. I just don't find myself needing to do it...

This and this...why drop $120 on an OS when to a PC gamer that could be a Corsair H100 or money towards an upgrade...sure some people are against it for good reason, but to me, it doesn't effect me at all so I see no reason to look down on someone because of it. I'd rather have more PC gamer's (which many don't have a lot of money...$120 is A LOT of money to A LOT of people) that pirate an OS then PC gamer's that look at that as added costs and just use it to buy a 360 or PS3...

Also...50,000,000 search results? Well there goes half my search results! :p

Microsoft practically gives away their OS's these days. Just got to get in on one of the deals or (quasi-pirating?) do one of the upgrade-to-fresh-install tricks.

WOW. :(

You wouldn't download a car would you?

Trololo :D

If you count the time I used an extremely advanced AI to hack a digistruct machine, bypassing the DRM so I could catch a riiiiide, yes.

OT: This, like all other measures of removing access to any given thing (or laws against such) will be utterly meaningless. Drugs, alcohol, guns, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

how is it Googles job to police what others put up? the rights holder should have to prove it by dling the show/movie/game or what ever then past it though some kinda of court who then tells Google to take it down or fines the right holder if its bogus, the whole automated crap needs to stop.

Why is Google cowering in fear like little Bitches. This is definitely not the Google of yesteryear that said no when companies asked for IP data of customers. I think it may have started with the YouTube lawsuit. Every since they have just removed videos based on take down notices. No legal action necessary, just send us a letter that seems correct and down it goes. Might be time to start using something other then Google products, they are starting to do their best to make corporations happy and in the end that is bad for us. Better to move on before everything you use is Google and they just make all data open to anyone that asks for it in an unbinding nonlegal letter.

how is it Googles job to police what others put up? the rights holder should have to prove it by dling the show/movie/game or what ever then past it though some kinda of court who then tells Google to take it down or fines the right holder if its bogus, the whole automated crap needs to stop.

They think having Google remove these links will curb piracy. It doesn't.

You lock one door, and another opens. It will always be this way.

It kind of reminds me of how people were saying that online piracy was dead when Megaupload kicked the bucket. Sure, the internet was in a frenzy for about 6 months...but you will notice that other online locker sites have popped up and Pirates have been using them with no problems since.

Its kind of a futile battle, neither side will win..

Back