Instagram Down 4M Users Since TOS Change?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Was there really a mass exodus over that whole Instagram TOS issue last week? I mean, that four million number seems awful high if you ask me. :eek:

Kevin Systrom, the CEO and co-founder, chalked it up to a big misunderstanding and insisted the company had no intention of selling users’ photos. Instagram has reverted to its old policy. The damage, however, was done. While Instagram hasn’t said whether any of its 100 million subscribers deleted their accounts, the AppData figures show a steep drop in daily active usage.

They took a move out of the netflix playbook with that one didn't they?

hipster%2Bgram.jpg

it had to be done..

Less of a burden on Instagram. Saves them money not having to spend money on people that do nothing but bitch about a free service.

I still have no clue what instagram is, other than it's some photo hosting something.

So I went and looked. Gah. Why does everyone use the gross subdued CYMK print style colors now?! It just looks like the saturation got turned down or you are using limited gamut or it's from the 70s and faded. It's one of the shitty things about Windows 8 too... I suppose it would be nice if you were going to print the site out...

The site seems to be a phone only thing and not do anything amazing...

I too have never been to instagram's site or really have a clue what its all "about". From what I've read online it's a place where douche hipsters can take random photos of people or things that nobody cares about and apply wacky effects to them because they are too stupid or lazy to do the work themselves in photoshop.

I'm already hitting "crotchety old fuck" stage and I'm only 30 years old. I've never used twitter, instagram, hell I've even become disenchanted with facebook lately.

Friendly note to all the would be hipster douches out there -- taking a picture of your dog and applying some old west looking filter does not make you an artist.

I still have no clue what instagram is, other than it's some photo hosting something.

So I went and looked. Gah. Why does everyone use the gross subdued CYMK print style colors now?! It just looks like the saturation got turned down or you are using limited gamut or it's from the 70s and faded. It's one of the shitty things about Windows 8 too... I suppose it would be nice if you were going to print the site out...

Wait, what?

I agree that the website sucks, but why do you hate CMYK?

Because of it's limitations and the problems it has with certain bolder colors. It's fine when you actually have to use cymk (which is only when printing) as there isn't really much choice, but just using it to use it makes everything look dull. :(

I'm among the group who said "Farewell" to Instagram. It wasn't necessarily the interpretation of the new ToS that did it for me; that was just a cheap excuse for me to realize I'd taken two pictures with the service and had no real use for it.

If I want to take bad pictures of food and children's clothing, I'd rather screw them up on my 24" monitor. It's much more fun that way than pfutzing around on a 4" screen.

Because of it's limitations and the problems it has with certain bolder colors. It's fine when you actually have to use cymk (which is only when printing) as there isn't really much choice, but just using it to use it makes everything look dull. :(

I've no issue with using either color model. I'd argue that most people just use it incorrectly, as seen on the website. I always correct for the difference.

How is Instagram different than just posting pics directly on Facebook? Or is it for more than just Facebook? I never really understood it's popularity to begin with.

Instagram is a social network, it's all about sharing with your friends or people who want to see that sort of image. If you don't like it, don't use it. No reason to try and be pretentious about it.

Pantone all the way.

there blue is chosen because its an in color while 0 255 0 blue is not an in color and no one is using it except on craigslist.

I'd say 99 percent of the pictures on Instagram are just crap anyway , I doubt the average user would even be impacted. But the thought of Instagram deciding to take of my photos without my permission and make money off it without need of consent is just beyond sense.

And truly there is no such thing as a "free" service in reality , every time you agree to give over Facebook or its partners all your private information you are basically doing a transaction of your ID as a form of currency.

I preferred Dailybooth anyway, the grandfather of picture comments, before Instagram and tumblr. Too bad their managers sucked and they never made anything of the site, but it seems that even so, very few DB users moved to Instagram when DB shut down.

It was a real success with gay teenagers among others, being so obscure that there was virtually no chance that their family or school friends would happen by chance on their pictures, if they were not fully out yet, which is frequent at this age. So Dailybooth played a unique role for gay teenagers who could express themselves in a safe environment. It was a public service really. The whole site had a much friendlier feel than most other social networks, almost family-like.

I followed 800 users on http://dailybooth.com/Chimel31 if you want to check what it looked like before it closes down definitely in 3 days,

I preferred Dailybooth anyway, the grandfather of picture comments, before Instagram and tumblr. Too bad their managers sucked and they never made anything of the site, but it seems that even so, very few DB users moved to Instagram when DB shut down.

It was a real success with gay teenagers among others, being so obscure that there was virtually no chance that their family or school friends would happen by chance on their pictures, if they were not fully out yet, which is frequent at this age. So Dailybooth played a unique role for gay teenagers who could express themselves in a safe environment. It was a public service really. The whole site had a much friendlier feel than most other social networks, almost family-like.

I followed 800 users on http://dailybooth.com/Chimel31 if you want to check what it looked like before it closes down definitely in 3 days,

SdqLC.jpg

If people stop using Instagram, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHAT THINGS LOOK LIKE WITH A SEPIA FILTER!?!?

You guys [@ the people who "quit"] realize instagram reverted their TOS changes? Right?

They will change it again - too tempting not to.

For sure, but lots of other free image upload sites (and all those twitter based ones) feature the same "bad" instagram policy. Don't know why people treat this like a weird/sensational topic... nothing special.

I'd say 99 percent of the pictures on Instagram are just crap anyway , I doubt the average user would even be impacted. But the thought of Instagram deciding to take of my photos without my permission and make money off it without need of consent is just beyond sense.

And truly there is no such thing as a "free" service in reality , every time you agree to give over Facebook or its partners all your private information you are basically doing a transaction of your ID as a form of currency.

Thats kind of what I was thinking.

Crap photos made crappier with Instagram are still crap. I can't see Omega or Calvin Klein etc. going through Instagram looking for material for their next big campaign.

Folks have a very inflated opinion of their photography skills I guess.

The people that left Instagram are making posts about it on Facebook right now. This is the clueless ignorance that has become our life. How is owning rights on psted photos worse then owning everything you post? Facebook has the right to use anything and everything you post on Facebook, however they choose. Yet people are not leaving Facebook in droves. People only claim moral outrage when it does not effect them in any real way. Instagram is not a real service that people are addicted to that is not offered through Facebook or Twitter. People will put up with anything Facebook or Twitter do because there is not real alternative. Most people are hippocrites down to their very core. Reminds me of that Facebook farse where people were posting that doctrine from 150 years ago thinking it helped you retain rights and bypassed the ToS. Let me just add most people are ignorant hippocrits.

I thought you was a cool hip person :(

Back